Jarrad Branthwaite

jsp

Thought this lad deserved his own thread after some chat on one of the player threads last week and he seems to be a name that Utd are tracking and showing an interest in.

Looks to have all the tools required to be a top defender. He's big, he's quick, good in the air, he's strong in the tackle, can defend 1 vs 1 and looks tidy enough on the ball. He reminds me a bit of Smalling but looks much more comfortable on the ball whereas Smalling always looked awkward, never struck me as a natural footballer.

He did however get absolutely steamrolled by Haaland at the weekend when left one vs one but lets be honest in those situations he's pretty hard to stop.

Still seems to be a bit of a mystery over what footed he is the internet (google) seems to say he's a leftie but @Justin Cider believes he's a righty.

He certainly looks like a player Everton are going to struggle to hold on to this summer and Utd we suspect will be looking for centre backs so I'm sure this will be one to keep an eye on.

Apparently he’s just very two footed. A Merseyside reporter said

“He’s often described as a left-footed central defender – but he’s actually right-footed. However, he’s so accomplished with both feet that there is genuine belief that he’s left-footed.”

Messaged an Everton supporting friend to get his opinion.

I think he’s a must sign option if available. You’re tying up a spot for the next 10-12 years players like him don’t come along often. He looks so much more experienced than he is. I’m sure having spent last season on loan at PSV so having played in the Dutch league he’ll be on ETH radar. ;)

He's comfortable with both feet, some of us are!

He's already admitted he uses one for short passes, and the other for long passes. Myself I wasn't that limited.

Wouldn't want him to go to City, or Liverpool, just think as i've stated elsewhere I don't think he's ready for United yet

I watched a bit of the City game and he played left side of the centre backs and looked comfortable on both feet.

So we are saying is he's the next Phil Jones the moment one club moves everyone will go in to avoid missing out.

Can't see City buying another centre back they're already very well stocked in that position unless they decide to move some players on.

I tend to agree another season before making the move would be good for him. Stones did two or three seasons at Everton before making his move.

He's a must buy. Watched quite a lot of him - he's very good. I actually think this year is the last year we'll get him for less than £100m.

No way would I be spending £100m on him but he is a very good young player. I don’t think anyone is paying £100m for him right now but I think if we did make a sizeable offer than Everton wouldn’t be in a position to turn it down what with their financial troubles.

I think he is better than Stones was when he was playing for Everton. Stones was a better passer for sure but Branthwaite is that old fashioned no nonsense defender. He won’t be at Everton for long that’s for sure.

Well you wouldn't pay £100m right now - my point is that's the type of price he will be worth in one or two more seasons. I think he's the best up coming CB in the league. He has everything including a good passing range with both feet - that's hard to find.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

See how the price is rising - I told you.

The price is already nearly what I said.

Everton fans recently asked about this very subject - how much? They were all wanting £80m+

i'd rather get Yoro

But as I mentioned, lots of teams sniffing around him now, including Madrid

I still prefer a tried and tested player who is English, over some foreign import.

Have you seen any of Yoro? I can't bring myself to watch that league.

Yeah seen a couple of games, he's a decent player, highy rated. Only a lad though

Branthwaite has all the attributes to become a great centre back but is he good enough on the ball for a build from the back kind of team?

I think for £50m he would be a decent bet but if Everton want £75-100m then we may find better business elsewhere. The young lad in Italy Scalvini seems to be highly rated and maybe a cheaper alternative.

Yeah seen a couple of games, he's a decent player, highy rated. Only a lad though
Watched a compilation before when you mentioned him, can't tell a massive amount as it's just best bits, but it does give little glimpse at what he's capable of. I prefer to watch at least a few games of the player before saying much.

Branthwaite has all the attributes to become a great centre back but is he good enough on the ball for a build from the back kind of team?

I think for £50m he would be a decent bet but if Everton want £75-100m then we may find better business elsewhere. The young lad in Italy Scalvini seems to be highly rated and maybe a cheaper alternative.

Decent read on him. Still just opinion, mostly.

IMO - it's his two great feet that is impressive. That means he's an option at both RCB and LCB.

I believe he's good enough, to play any style he wants.

Yeah good read, thanks for sharing.

I was only basing my thoughts on what I’ve seen with Everton but it does sound like he was more expansive in his play with PSV. I guess a Dyche team is very different to how other teams set up so a willingness to adapt is a good trait to have.

He is definitely getting very good reviews and sure he may be in Southgate’s thoughts for his next squad.

All the raw materials appear to be there with this kid but Utd probably can't afford to pay such a premium for potential.

Still a long way from the finished article, 1 thing I haven't really seen from him is how good is he on the ball under pressure close to his own goal? That is where top teams really put their centre backs under pressure playing from the back.

Utd to buy a lot of players this summer hard to see us shelling out that sort of money on a centre back.

Needs to stay on his feet more as well ;)

Shouldn't we be targeting somebody that plays regularly on the right of a two, surely Martinez, Chunky and the latest must have 18-year-old will do for LCB.

Utd to buy a lot of players this summer hard to see us shelling out that sort of money on a centre back.
Especially as I read we are willing to shell 100m on Joao Nevis o_O

Which I hope was nonsense

Especially as I read we are willing to shell 100m on Joao Nevis o_O

Which I hope was nonsense

Sounds very agent talk to me.

Benfica player + Massive Release Fee normally means 5/5 on my transfer BS radar.

Adrien Rabiot is available soon. We nearly signed him recently. Maybe he's ready to come over now, and he'd be free. There doesn't always have to be a huge transfer fee.

Utd will have to be looking at value signings like free transfers or low value release clauses. not sure how he’s played this season but remember him getting plenty of plaudits last season for probably the best season of his career.

So much needs to be done in the summer. RB, CB, LB, CM, RW and CF options all need strengthening. I’d say in defence and midfield it’s more than 1 that needs to come in.

Building around the next generation of young English talent would be smart and Branthwaite seems to fit that brief but can we afford it?

I'd say midfield is always the place that's most important, if you have good players there, you have a strong base to build upon. A player like Rabiot would go a long way in helping with that.

As for affordability - I think SJR will know some astute buys, whether they're costly or not are necessary. Too many times we have just not bought the right people recently. These next two years of recruitment are going to be pivotal to his ambition. If we did spend big money on him, I'm pretty sure he would be more than worth it in the long run and I hope SJR buys him at any price. He's going to be available for the next 10 years. So I don't think it's so much the fee that is the problem - it's the player being a fit for our club, and he will be IMO.

SJR shouldn’t be anywhere near decisions on signings it will be down to the people he appoints into these positions of power and authority to make these decisions.

He won’t be buying any players it will be the clubs money that is used to buy players.

All his investment cash is ring fenced for infrastructure investment.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back