James Maddison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but Celtic winning the league, the richest club in the league by far, and a poor league at that. Ole's Molde win was probably better than that.

He came second? that's not winning is it? he's won nothing, he's further up the leage than Ole, with squads much much better. It proved nothing.

I have seen nothing that says Rodgers can come in and get more out of this squad. In fact I doubt any manager could get much more out of this squad. There are no decent senior players to get the young players in the squad through the difficult times, when the class of 92 came in, they still had Cantona, Schmeical, Parker, Keane, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister. What have these kids got? nothing.

As for Gerrard, didn't they fall out? i thought in the end that was why Rodgers left.

The fault of current plight lays with the board, not the manager.

It may well turn out he isn't god enough. But until he gets the proper tools you just can't judge him. Pep did a tactical change last night, Ole counter acted it, ok it a bit late. He's a young manager, he will make mistakes, especially against the best coach in the world. But to say he's not good enough, when you look at that squad, is not fair.

That board needs to invest heavy in this squad, if it will cost 100m to get a player we need this window, then pay it, whether its 20m over the price or not. Stop taking the money out and put it back in the team.

Who do you propose we bring in.
There has to be progress though and there hasn't been. If you cant judge Ole on results yet then what can you? Style? Well that's still atrocious. So we give him a free pass do we? Get a year or two down the line and then realise the obvious?

Poch took over an underperforming Spurs team and built them back up. That's what we need. We can't compete for the title we have to build back. Regular top 4 first.

There has been obvious signs of progress even this season. Which I’ve pointed out to you time and time again but you continue to blindly ignore.

Do you not agree our forward play as improved dramatically since we went 12 games without scoring more than 1 goal in a game and scored more than 1 in 3 out of 25. Now we’ve got something like 34 in our last 16.

It’s obvious improvement you’re choosing to ignore.

Pep before the game yesterday said you can see the style Ole is trying to implement and that he’s starting to get the side he wants. You can see he wants to play fast aggressive football. The words of Pep not me.

We've gone a bit off topic but I stand by what I said look at the records of the two managers and Rodger's CV is much better yes he won a bobbins league with the best team but so did Ole. Molde were well backed financially during his winning period basically hoovered up all the best players and won the league. He then came to England took over at a car crash club and couldn't really do anything to stop the rot Rodgers I think did a great job at Swansea and a good job at Liverpool he was unlucky that after his initial success he lost key players and things went backwards. Take away the fact he played here there is no way his CV makes it on to a shortlist when Utd are looking for a manager his management CV is winning a third rate league then getting a premier league team relegated that is it. He may get the clubs culture from having worked here before that maybe should have made him suitable for some sort of role within the club but being in charge of the first team is laughable when you think about it.

His issue at Utd for me is something he can't solve you can keep changing the manager and the players but really it's the board that needs to be changed you need people who understand football making football decisions like who the manager should be and also the direction of the football side of things long term. There are to many business men calling the shots at this club and they clearly aren't putting people in positions with power and authority to make sure the football standards are met because they simply don't care as long as the money keeps rolling in nothing will change.

Now the club have apparently put together an entirely new recruitment team over the last 5 or 6 years but the fact they've had to do this from scratch means we have missed out on potential bargains like Maguire and even Maddison before they went to Leicester because we just didn't have the market knowledge to spot them. We maybe have seen with James that they can now find cheaper solutions to problems but this season should be a 12 month plan to radically overhaul this squad in summer 2021 not 2 or 3 I'm talking 5 or 6 in and similarly 5 or 6 out.

Maddison for me can be one of these players I think he's got skills we are missing he's miles better than the 3 number 10's we currently have and I think he compliments the wide players and strikers we have as he wants to play fast this number 10 position if Utd are sticking to Ole's preferred 4-2-3-1 system is vital. A player like Maddison will hopefully help us break down the teams who just sit back against us because he can find that space in tight games and exploit it.

I think you're under doing his achievement at Molde and overdoing Rodgers at Celtic. Molde had not won the league before Ole went there, relegated the year before I think. Celtic are by far the biggest spenders in that league, Rangers weren't even around were they, or only just getting back.

Like I said, nothing for me says Rodgers would do a better job than Ole, neither has won anything of note. Celtic got battered in the CL when they went up against proper teams.

The fact is, the squad is sub standard, you can't pick holes in the manager with that squad. If he gets a decent squad and still struggles then maybe.

There is no clear stand out manager to take the job, I can't think of anyone who I think would do better with this squad. Maybe Klopp. They couldn't play Peps style.

At least we know Ole will give everything for the club and isn't just there for the money.

Too early to be judged for me. It's about time the fans picked on the real villains, the Glazers.

It's hard for me to assess his Molde team because I never saw them play but I do watch the odd bit of Celtic and under Rodgers they played a style of football that was way ahead of what other managers have done. Yes at the time there was almost no competition because Rangers were bankrupt but they were incredibly good and a joy to watch.

It is true the real issues are above his head with the owners but what can the fans really do about that situation? They own the club 100% out right and there is no real incentive for them to sell. They've just taken another dividend payment about £9m apparently split up between them, the share price is pretty stable despite poor on field performance, the debt is manageable. Club owners only change when it's no longer in their financial interest to own the club or because the club gets put into administration and they are forced out neither looks likely to happen any time soon.

In Maddison's current situation a move to Utd could only be financially motivated obviously if he feels that Leicester team will get broken up in the summer that might be another reason to move but if you look at it their record of replacing key players who have left has been pretty good. The big one on the horizon for them is Vardy how much longer can he keep going.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can't see us bringing in Maddison. I mean I think he's a superb player but where would he fit?

I also don’t want us to sign Maddison. I think you’re looking at the most overhyped player of my life time.

I can't see us bringing in Maddison. I mean I think he's a superb player but where would he fit?

Well you need options my guess is if he came we’d drop Bruno deeper in to the 2 in midfield or swap to a 4-3-3 system and play both of them as box to box players if we were to start both together.

I like Maddison but I agree the hype has got out of control he’s not a 100m player so Utd might have to wait for his contract to run down but if they do I think Leicester will get him to renew as he’s probably on fairly modest wages.

Signed a new deal at Leicester according to reports so he’s going nowhere this summer.

Nah you’re looking at £80m
Plus for Maddison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back