If not Mourinho, then who?

For me no you don't let him continue to shape the squad to his liking because it's further away from what we want in terms of style. And he's never a long term answer anyway so I don't think we can let him continue to shape the squad his way.

From the fans point of view I agree but the people who will make the decision on his future won't do anything to change it unless the club doesn't make CL or fans stop buying tickets there's no real indicator of fan satisfaction. Our owners simply want a manager that they can leave alone to run the football team who makes sure they get top 4 every season and Mourinho probably does that. Woodward even admitted the performance of the team and the way they play has little effect on the business side of things in the short term in the long term you might see a drop off in new fans.

The most dissapointing thing in the post Fergie era for me is we still seem to have one man in complete control we haven't modernised our scouting and recruitment team, we don't really seem to have a plan for success other than get in big names and hope for the best.

It's very true. If you asked the vast majority of Utd fans they would say Jose only has a year left here. He's already burning bridges in true Jose style.

So do you give this guy £250m to buy new players? It could be another LVG and the fallout could take 2 or 3 more years to repair. It's all hanging in the balance. I just wish Jose would pull it together. He can do it!

They just need to nail it this summer in terms of transfers the manager isn't going anywhere say he gets 4 players in he needs them all to hit the ground running because to win this league might take 100 points we got 81 this season any improvement on that is going to be tough really the bar needs to be 90 points next season and assume that others will take more off city.

If he can't even make it a fight for the title in March then I think that'll be it for him.

My guess is he's got more power to sell players who challenge him now that's why I think Shaw & Martial will be gone and I wouldn't rule out Pogba the message will be clear you get on board and follow the boss or you get out.

If he hadn't signed that new deal around Xmas do you think he'd have got a new one this summer?

The reason Man Utd are so popular glabally is because of the success they have had when football on TV took off, then into the 2000s and onwards. If Man City start winning year on year, then get a UCL or 2 under their belts who do you think the new kids from China, Thailand, American, Russia will start supporting?

Kill a few peoples wishes, Poch and his team signed a new deal till 2023

Kill a few peoples wishes, Poch and his team signed a new deal till 2023

I applaud his commitment I really do... But I've got to question his ambition. Spurs are just a team who have I think reached their ceiling.

I used to want to want him as our next manager, but the FA cup semi final comments, before the match, saying they didn't need to win put me off. That's no winners attitude.

Going on one of the lads comments, I think we have tried the "external experienced manager" road now and to be fair it has gotten us pretty much nowhere from a playing style point of view. Barca took a chance of Pep, took a chance on Enrique, Madrid took a chance on Zidane, At Madrid took a chance on Simone, Milan took a chance on Gattuso they have all worked out pretty well as they have all brought new ideas, it's only in England where we are obsessed with experienced managers (Pardew, Big Sam, Hughes, Pullis etc.) constantly being sacked then employed then sacked etc., we never give our young managers a chance and are paying the price, look at Darren Moore at West Brom!

We should have just given it to Giggs after Fergie, I want someone who knows the ins and outs of the club, the values, the attacking intent, who bring the history of the club to the forefront and not the god dam balance sheet.

If Jose went tomorrow give me anyone from Neville, Carrick, Giggs, Scholes etc.

@Edgy1968 the key thing with those clubs is behind the scenes they've got people who run the football side of the business who know what they are doing and while there has been success with the ex player policy there's also been plenty of flops. Also, both Enrique and Simeone were managers at other clubs before they got their big jobs our ex players need to go and do something somewhere to at least give us something to judge them by. Currently only Giggs is employed as a full time manager but it's fair to say they need to be allowed to fail a few times to learn the lessons that these older managers did but the way the game is now these players probably need to go abroad or go down the leagues. A PL job is probably one of the top 50 managerial positions in world football now and probably the top 30 best paid so everyone from all over the world is desperate to come here. Pellegrini is getting £10m to manager West Ham that's probably more than the managers at Juventus, PSG, Bayern, Barca & Madrid will get as salary next season.

Utd just don't have that structure behind them to say we think this guy can look after the team and until we get people above the manager making decision we will probably need to hire experienced coaches who can handle that setup. Woodward and his clan of merry men need to get that structure in place recruitment, scouting, academy, medical, admin all needs to be taken away from the coaches day to day role all he needs to think about it tactics and team selection that is how all the big boys are doing it. Yes the coach needs a say on who comes and goes from his team but he should be part of that decision not the only one making it.

I think things have been put in place in the post Fergie years but it's been slow progress if we can get the club running properly with an actual structure and plan for on field success then I think we could see risks taken on younger up and coming coaches such as ex players.

To me if Giggs can do well with Wales then he's got a good chance of getting the job after Jose he walked away for the right reasons to prove himself, I would say that Carrick in a year or two might need to do the same if he gets a chance at being a first team manager.

If we took a chance on Simeone people would be slating his football. Go and check the amount of goals Atletico scored this season.

58 goals. They finished second and he’ll get you a Europa league win. But you don’t want results with no style?

Gattuso has managed to get sides relegated and is a notoriously defensive coach. Looking for one if the great stats about him. (Did just put it up but want to confirm it) - Found it. He managed to get a side relegated despite having the best defensive record in the league. So poor was their attacking play. 10 0-0 draws. 10 1-1 draws and 11 1-0 losses in 40 games.

Pro inherited a ridiculous side and so did Zidane. I might not have done it as well as Pep but I could have got that side playing attacking football and win the league! At the time they played 2 games a season. The rest were gimmes. They could afford to take that risk. Worst case scenario they had an awful season and finished second. Moyes couldn’t have taken that team to 7th

I don't think anyone says appoint Simeone but Simeone fits Atletico Madrid because they are the underdogs that is how their fans see themselves and Simeone gave those fans the team they want which is a team that fights against those more fortunate. Mourinho at his best has been at clubs like this Chelsea & Inter were clubs not used to winning so as long as he won they didn't really care how at Madrid & Utd they are the establishment so they expect more.

The point was more that Utd keeping flip flopping on the plan. Plan A was Moyes who they thought could just carry on what Fergie was doing and it was pretty obvious that he couldnt, Plan B was LVG who was a hyper tactical coach who wants total control of the game by being in possession and had never really been a manager who picked his own players then we go to Plan C which is Mourinho which is basically the exact opposite of Plan B as he doesn't always want the ball.

Basically after the Moyes plan failed Utd have not really tried to stick to plan A and just do it better they hit the panic button and started again twice and that has got to stop we need to decide what we want to be and only sign players and appoint managers who fit those requirements.

It would seem that the owners & board are happy as long as the manager retains top 4 and keeps that CL money coming in every season and will not interfere in what is going on as long as that target is met. The manager will want more than that he wants to win trophies because he needs that on his own CV and he is a winner. The fans well that is a tricky one some just want to win at all costs so they can brag to mates others want to be entertained.

The reality is we've been sat in this middle ground for 5 years where we've been winning cup competitions which keeps some happy even if they are the second rate trophies but for 5 years it's been a really hard team to watch and get behind and that comes through when you go to the ground and you can even see it on TV the buzz around the club at the start of the season quickly drained away.

The big challenge next season is to get that buzz back at the start and then sustain it through the season he really had it going at the start but it was gone so quickly I think partly because he starting messing about trying to get a new deal and partly because he started playing more defensively.

That's all good and well and you can read all the stats you want but we have gone for a proven Premier League manager in Moyes going by the characteristics of above and massive FAIL, we have then gone for LVG who has major European pedigree, managed in world cups and yet again massive FAIL, we now have Jose who few trophies, second last season but at the same time as the results have been decent, 90% of fans can't take the style of football, the amount of fans who have given up season tickets due to it is scary, he seems to have divided the dressing room with fall outs with a lot of big players, our youth are just standing still with the realisation that two of our top young talents could leave.

The pros and cons just don't seem to match up, so this time next year I think were gonna be looking at another FAIL with a top proven manager. The board/behind the scenes can't be that much of a shambles as off the pitch were streets ahead of most other clubs, its not exactly a bad environment to be coming into is it. Is it not time to stop looking abroad at managers who would rather stroke their ego than do whats right for the club and actually take a chance take a risk on an ex player who will wear his heart on his sleeve, play to the values of the club, play attacking free flowing football and make teams worry about us rather than setting up to not get beat against anyone half decent?

I can handle a few losses as long as were attacking and going at teams, Neville or the next LVG, only one winner for me!

Look forward to a few more stats being thrown about how the percentages dont work out or when he managed the under 11's he got 10 0-0 draws, yawn

Neville didn’t manage the under 11’s he took a Valencia side fighting for 7th and almost had them relegated. To put him in control would be insanity of the highest order. He may get the club he may be a great pundit he’s a very poor manager.

7-0 his team lost to Barcelona. At least there were loads of goals in the game. I get that you love the club and think it’s not currently working but this is a multi billion pound asset. A risk like that could not and should not be taken. Moyes was a bad enough mistake. Mourinho is doing his job. He’s steadying the decline and moving us back in the right direction. It’s exacerbated by the way in which City have won the league this year but we haven’t had a terrible season. In fact the league is your bread and butter and we’ve had our best season since Fergie left.

You can't deny that, we were sinking fast, and Jose has steadied the ship. Personally, I don't think he's done much wrong so far.

He's basically got until Dec to get us playing well, and I think he will. But some tough decisions need to made with respect to the playing staff.

As for the next manager, I would like an ex player, I do think we should have done more to hang on to Giggs to groom him for the role

As I mentioned before, I'm surprised Ole has not been given another chance in the league, I'd also like to see Keane at club level again to see if he has learnt anything from O'Neill.

That's all good and well and you can read all the stats you want but we have gone for a proven Premier League manager in Moyes going by the characteristics of above and massive FAIL, we have then gone for LVG who has major European pedigree, managed in world cups and yet again massive FAIL, we now have Jose who few trophies, second last season but at the same time as the results have been decent, 90% of fans can't take the style of football, the amount of fans who have given up season tickets due to it is scary, he seems to have divided the dressing room with fall outs with a lot of big players, our youth are just standing still with the realisation that two of our top young talents could leave.

The pros and cons just don't seem to match up, so this time next year I think were gonna be looking at another FAIL with a top proven manager. The board/behind the scenes can't be that much of a shambles as off the pitch were streets ahead of most other clubs, its not exactly a bad environment to be coming into is it. Is it not time to stop looking abroad at managers who would rather stroke their ego than do whats right for the club and actually take a chance take a risk on an ex player who will wear his heart on his sleeve, play to the values of the club, play attacking free flowing football and make teams worry about us rather than setting up to not get beat against anyone half decent?

I can handle a few losses as long as were attacking and going at teams, Neville or the next LVG, only one winner for me!

Look forward to a few more stats being thrown about how the percentages dont work out or when he managed the under 11's he got 10 0-0 draws, yawn

You can't call Moyes proven in the Premier League he got Everton finishing where they were supposed to finish between 5th and 7th. Appointing Moyes was ridiculous he turned Utd into Everton rather than Utd turn Moyes into Fergie he shouldn't have been anywhere near that job we very quickly turned into a sinking ship. I honestly believe they'd have been better off putting Mike "who loves short shorts" Phelan in charge.

LVG was dull to watch but he plugged the holes stopped us sinking further finished 4th and 5th and won an FA cup but the way he wanted to play did not fit the players we had so he started to sign players he felt he could work with but his football just didn't work and he was gone. LVG football was Guardiola football just played at a walking pace I don't think that was by choice he just never quite got the players in to speed it up which is what makes it so dangerous.

Mourinho has got us back on the rise there is no doubting that but it's done in a very pragmatic way and again he's looked at the squad and there's a huge squad of players who don't play the way he wants to play. He inherited a squad with no enforcers in midfield, no target man striker and wingers who don't defend.

This is the point really we are stuck with the Mourinho plan now we pull the plug and bring in a more attacking coach it's back to square one again I'd give him another season hopefully the performances improve as well as the results next season and see where we end up. If we are 20 points behind City again, trophyless and go out of the CL in disgrace playing dull football most of the time then he's got to go.

The people making the decisions at this club haven't got a clue about football and how to structure a club that wins they are genuises when it comes to making money off it but in terms of making decisions to help the club win they're clueless. Even before his illness Fergie had almost no involvement in decision making after his retirement and neither does Charlton they are just there to be the faces at all the UEFA meetings and sponsorship events.

If they were going to pick an ex player they'd probably appoint Hughes.

That's my point the decision makers at this club are not clever people the 3 appointments made post Fergie to me highlight that.

The most important thing the club need to do is get people on that board who can make decisions that effect the football side of the business who and how to hire and fire managers and the same with identifying players. Utd are still stuck in the 90's and under Fergie that didn't matter but it's time to get with the times because there's no more Ferguson and there will never be another.

Neville didn’t manage the under 11’s he took a Valencia side fighting for 7th and almost had them relegated. To put him in control would be insanity of the highest order. He may get the club he may be a great pundit he’s a very poor manager.

7-0 his team lost to Barcelona. At least there were loads of goals in the game. I get that you love the club and think it’s not currently working but this is a multi billion pound asset. A risk like that could not and should not be taken. Moyes was a bad enough mistake. Mourinho is doing his job. He’s steadying the decline and moving us back in the right direction. It’s exacerbated by the way in which City have won the league this year but we haven’t had a terrible season. In fact the league is your bread and butter and we’ve had our best season since Fergie left.

Jesus mate the U11s thing was a joke, bloody hell everyones highly strung on here, enjoy your weekend lads hope its relaxing, sounds like its needed haha

If Mourinho does leave during the season or at the end of the season, who would you like to replace him?

I’d love Allegri think he’s done a great job at Juventus but I think the reality is it’s not just the manager that needs to change it’s the entire structure we’ve got to sort our transfer policy out and no manager will do that as managers don’t deal with that anymore.

If he goes during the season then it’ll probably be someone short term as a fire fighter to guide us to the end of the season.

Any chance of getting Fergie back?

If Mourinho does leave (which I hope he doesn’t) I wouldn’t mind looking at Conte. Done a good job first season with Chelsea and not the greatest of squads and is a born winner.

If Mourinho does leave (which I hope he doesn’t) I wouldn’t mind looking at Conte. Done a good job first season with Chelsea an

Oh god not Conte. He's almost as negative as Jose so that's a massive no.

I don't know who but I would like a young positive manager. Hell maybe Giggs?

I wouldn’t rule out Conte either he tends to get the best out of what he has by picking a system that suits his players not trying to pick players to suit his system.

Think internal politics got in his way at Chelsea but he wouldn’t that at Utd but didn’t feel like he really settled in England.

Do you remember when Jose joined he said something along the lines of ' there won't be any round pegs in square holes' which Moyes and LVG had done too much of. Jose really has actually gone beyond that statement and done more of that than the other 2 managers put together!

I think the structure at the club from the bottom to the very top needs changing bit we are a business not a football club so I can't see that happening

If the club feel the need to sack Jose then Woodward needs to go too. 3 bad manager appointments along with a disastrous transfer policy. I don’t think there’s anyone who could do better with this squad myself.

I wouldn't take Conte ever.

Allegri might be a good choice post-Mourinho. He seems like the sort of manager who'd be good to take us on from Mourinho, a bit like Ancelotti after Mourinho at Real Madrid. Having just signed Cristiano though, I don't think he's going anywhere soon. Juve are a well run club now since their match fixing days and I can't see a reason why he'd want to leave that and his home country for us.

It'd be nice if we could find a manager that truly suits the club, it doesn't have to be someone who's won lots of trophies. It should be someone who likes his teams to play positively and has faith in young players, for me that's what the club was about. At the time, we needed Mourinho to get us back on track to a point results wise, get a winning mentality back and I think he's done that and it's time to go with someone more progressive and having had 3 experienced managers maybe we should look to someone young and fresher.

Whoever is the next manager needs to fit the style the club wants to play. That has to be the key. A manager who understands the importance of attacking football and who will take us back to that style. The last 3 managers haven't done that and have all had different styles to each other. That's led to a squad that doesn't fit what the current manager wants and requires a bedding in process to adjust to a new style.

I think the signings Mourinho has made have been more in line with what suits the club. Van Gaal brought in a lot of fairly average players and then Blind was just more suited to his style. Only Martial and Shaw were of sufficient quality but both have struggled under Mourinho as have many of Mourinho’s signings.

I think the signings Mourinho has made have been more in line with what suits the club. Van Gaal brought in a lot of fairly average players and then Blind was just more suited to his style. Only Martial and Shaw were of sufficient quality but both have struggled under Mourinho as have many of Mourinho’s signings.

Have they? Please do explain. And if so then please explain why the football and ultimately the results have been so dour.

Just because they suit the club it doesn’t mean they suit Mourinho. He’s brought in a lot of talent, mostly young players, he works best with older players. The signings we’ve made under Mourinho are in my opinion quite typical of what Fergie would have brought in or wanted to bring in.

If Mourinho is sacked and a Zidane doesn't want the job midway through the season, who would you like to see as the caretaker manager?

Carrick?
Fergie?

I don't think we can really do the caretaker thing not with so much of the season still to play if Zidane wants it he has to take it now otherwise we go elsewhere we need someone who can use this season to make the tough decisions about which players need to stay and which ones have to go. We need to get this technical director position filled as well because I doubt Woodward has a clue which manager is the right manager to sort this out as he knows nothing about football. He will simply ring around his stable of agents and ask them who's on the market.

Yes the manager needs to leave but some of these players need removed as well as they're not good enough these decisions need making over the next 12 months as we can't go into next season with this squad it needs big change because that didn't happen this summer.

I really don’t want Zidane. I don’t understand people desperately wanting him. The football won’t improve at all and he managed to get 76 points with that Madrid side last season.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back