How long do we give Solskjaer?

I’ll be honest. I’m in the same boat. Am I 100% Ole is the man to take us forward? No. Do I think he’s had enough of a chance to show us he isn’t? Also no.

The constant changing of managers can’t help a club.

In truth I am not convinced he is good enough but he has barely had a chance to prove it. If at this time next season we are no better than the time will have come for me. Personally I think he will struggle to get through this period. All I know for certain is changing a manager, particularly when it's your 4th in 6 years, after 9 month and 1 transfer window is harsh. That said I guess if everybody thinks he is wrong you might as well make the change. Of course there is a reasonable chance you will be doing it again this time next year.
4 wins in 23 games, no away win in 11 games, 2 points of relegation... Stats that reflect we are where we are rightfully. That's not enough for you? You want to give him long enough to take us down a division?

I think you need to give him a fair crack. He's started his idea, selling older players who just want money, bringing in younger players. It will be hard, but it won't be fixed over night.

We have about 4 or 5 decent players and they are injured or keep getting injured. The squad we have at the moment are a mid table squad. We are where we are. We can give him a couple of years and see what he can do, or we can start all over again. And be here this time next year.

We do however need a DoF. This is what we should be concentrating on.

I think you need to give him a fair crack. He's started his idea, selling older players who just want money, bringing in younger players. It will be hard, but it won't be fixed over night
He's had a fair crack and he's done nothing. He said with a preseason together we'd start to see some kind of improvement. The players would be fitter and able to play his style of play. What style? A pressing style? That's non existent. He's clueless. He's done nothing in his managerial career and he's taking us down further than we ever imagined possible. He isn't the only problem but he's a part of it now.

You would do well to remember that the other major problem will be picking the next manager
I don't dispute that though. Ole isn't the only problem but I have to believe others would do a better job. In fact all 3 previous managers who got sacked have been better and yes I include Moyes.

I don't dispute that though. Ole isn't the only problem but I have to believe others would do a better job. In fact all 3 previous managers who got sacked have been better and yes I include Moyes.

They all had a much better squad than this to work with.

Moyes recognised strikers - Rooney Van Persie Hernandez Welbeck
LVG’s recognises strikers - Rooney Van Persie Falcao Hernandez
Mourinho’s recognised strikers - Rooney Ibrahimovic Lukaku Rashford Martial
Ole’s recognised strikers - Rashford Martial

He’s tearing it apart and starting again like everyone was wanting. It’s not an over night job and he didn’t get backed like was required.

Everyone under Mourinho ‘why’s Lukaku starting. Give Rashford and Martial minutes through the middle.’ Same people now ‘why are we struggling and why did we let Lukaku go’

They all had a much better squad than this to work with.

Moyes recognised strikers - Rooney Van Persie Hernandez Welbeck
LVG’s recognises strikers - Rooney Van Persie Falcao Hernandez
Mourinho’s recognised strikers - Rooney Ibrahimovic Lukaku Rashford Martial
Ole’s recognised strikers - Rashford Martial

He’s tearing it apart and starting again like everyone was wanting. It’s not an over night job and he didn’t get backed like was required.

Everyone under Mourinho ‘why’s Lukaku starting. Give Rashford and Martial minutes through the middle.’ Same people now ‘why are we struggling and why did we let Lukaku go’
Then he should walk because this team isn't going to finish top half. They let players go yet didn't replace and I put some of that on Ole.

Hard to say whether that is ole or not. He sort of stays neutral. If it was Jose everybody would know he is unhappy. And we would be complaining about how his attitude is dragging the squad down. There is no quick fix here. 6 years of shambolic mismanagement has made the job almost impossible. Do I think we need better than ole? In truth tes I do. Is that person out there and would he come to us? Probably not.
I can see it already if ole is sacked that in less than 12 months we would be saying the same thing again

Then he should walk because this team isn't going to finish top half. They let players go yet didn't replace and I put some of that on Ole.

Do you think Ole had much say in a striker not coming in. In the same way Mourinho had a load of say in Maguire not coming in the season before?

Look no manager wants to leave himself without an experienced striker. It’s a difficult one because who do you go for if you are giving Martial the main man role. Which we were forced in to when giving him 200k a week. Is it Ole’s fault Martial And Pogba can’t stay fit? Is any manager really getting McTominay and Greenwood firing us to a title bid?

Our 3 main players going forward are Rashford Martial and Pogba. They’ve been injured all season and we left ourselves short.

Losing Martial has ben more destructive than I thought to be honest, he might be inconsistent, sometimes lazy, frustrating, but he knows how to score.

. Is it Ole’s fault Martial And Pogba can’t stay fit? Is any manager really getting McTominay and Greenwood firing us to a title bid?
It could be partly his fault if he's hammering them too much in training... That has been rumoured.

I'm not expecting any manager to fire us to the title right now. This isn't a team good enough to finish top 4 or even top 6 but this is so much worse than that. This is relegation form and has been for 23 matches or whatever it is! You can't stick with a manager just because you want to. There's literally no argument to be made for Ole other than that we should give him time. That's not a reason.

Should Tottenham sack Poch? Their form over the last 23 matches is worse.

If Ole came directly after Fergie and this was the situation I’d completely get calling for his head. But he hasn’t he’s come over 3 former managers putting a squad together that doesn’t work and we don’t have the components in place to work with. We’ve just had a summer with a clear out and only 3 players coming in. A clear out many felt was needed.

Also I feel that this team can very much turn it around. The team is mentally weak which is it’s biggest problem. If they can string a few wins together you’ll see a different team as Pogba Rashford Martial Shaw don’t seem to have the mental strength to dig in but when things are going well they play like stars.

I agree with IDFD, if we can get those players back and fit, a few wins would turn this around. It's definitley a mental problem. We have a young squad and not many have won anything before.

As for blaming the injuries on Ole, Martial injuries predate him arriving, as does Shaw, and Pogba to some extents. They are professional athletes, they should be able to train. After pre season I believe there isn't much fitness training that goes on because of the intensity/frequency of games.

Get everyone fit and results will improve we don't have a deep squad so injuries hurt us but equally we have a squad with players with notoriously bad injury problems so injuries were to be expected which brings us back to the planning of the squad during the summer.

We'll never know if the injuries have anything to do with this pre season like you say it's been a long term problem with some of these players but Ole was big on championing the tougher pre season this year and we've already been hit with quite a few muscle injuries which are normally the result of fatigue. Injury crisis has been something we've lived with at Utd for 10 years now it's nothing new but we just don't have the depth to deal with injuries in midfield or attack.

There was 6 months (3 with Ole in permanent position) to plan this summer properly and go bigger but they didn't do it the reasons for that we just don't know.

All that aside even in those early games this season when everyone was fit it was still hard to tell if progress had been made Chelsea was just a mad game but Wolves and Palace highlighted a problem that Ole hadn't yet solved what does his team do when the opposition let you have the ball. This was a problem under all managers when a team bunkers in and plays on the counter can you break them down and protect yourselves from counter attacks? The answer we've seen so far is no.

yeah, we just don't have the footballers with enough skill, we have workers in the middle.

If they’re going to let us have the ball why aren’t we going 4-4-2? Get wider and stretch the pitch? Something we’ve not done under Mourinho or Ole really.

Also I wouldn’t mind seeing Dalot play in a 4-4-2 at RM ahead of Bissaka.

I think it just comes down to all of us want to see things getting better and it's so frustrating seeing man after man not really being able to make much change.

We all accepted things might take time to improve under Ole but no one really expected it to get worse we thought last season under Jose was rock bottom it turns out that it might not be the case.

We always come full circle it's not really the managers fault in full that things are falling apart no one can do what Fergie did because to do what he did he basically had full control which allowed him to think both long and short term about how to maintain success.

Modern managers or coaches as they seem to be preferred to be called rely on modern structures to support them and basically allow them to focus only on first team results as that is what keeps you in a job.

We all know that as long as the owners and their puppet Woodward are in charge there won't be much major change.

Should Tottenham sack Poch? Their form over the last 23 matches is worse.
Our form is 3rd bottom behind only Brighton and Watford. Plus Poch has earned time because he's actually taken Spurs a long way. Ole has proven nothing.

I agree with IDFD, if we can get those players back and fit, a few wins would turn this around. It's definitley a mental problem. We have a young squad and not many have won anything before.
So what's the excuse for the back end of last year? Which makes up the majority of those 23 games since this slump truly started? This injury argument is nonsense. Martial is talented but rarely delivers. Same with Pogba. Shaw is about average at best. Lingard has been useless for months. Lindelof wouldn't have done any better than Axel who has played well.

If they’re going to let us have the ball why aren’t we going 4-4-2? Get wider and stretch the pitch? Something we’ve not done under Mourinho or Ole really.

Also I wouldn’t mind seeing Dalot play in a 4-4-2 at RM ahead of Bissaka.

The issue with going wide is who are we crossing it in for? 4-4-2 has actually become a bit of a counter attacking system in recent years Leicester won the league playing it and Burnley play it to near perfection. Playing 4-4-2 and trying to play wide leaves your 2 in the middle very exposed and you need 2 really good centre mids to handle that as they'll likely be in a 3 vs 2 battle.

We don't have players who attack high crosses and we don't have wide players who are clever enough to get in behind and provide good low crosses/cut backs. Getting the ball into wide positions is kind of what the opposition want us to do as they know there's no real threat to the goal from those areas from this team

As for Dalot he needs to stay fit if he wants to play and I'm quickly coming around to the view that he might just be a bit crap I think he made the move to Utd to quickly if he'd stayed at Porto he'd probably be a better player than he is now.

You don't sack the current guy until you've got the next one ready to go I'd be amazed if the list of replacements hasn't been drawn up and talks are being had, you're unlikely to be able to get anyone currently in work until the summer so it's a tricky one to work out might have to give Allardyce a call ha!

I think Ole will still be in charge for a few more games but I wouldn't be surprised if they make the change after the Liverpool game regardless of the result one result even a win vs them wouldn't change what's already happened.
If he wins against Liverpool he should resign. Hes been blasting the fans and defending the owners. 2 massive no-nos for me

Do you think Ole had much say in a striker not coming in. In the same way Mourinho had a load of say in Maguire not coming in the season before?

Look no manager wants to leave himself without an experienced striker. It’s a difficult one because who do you go for if you are giving Martial the main man role. Which we were forced in to when giving him 200k a week. Is it Ole’s fault Martial And Pogba can’t stay fit? Is any manager really getting McTominay and Greenwood firing us to a title bid?

Our 3 main players going forward are Rashford Martial and Pogba. They’ve been injured all season and we left ourselves short.
Mandzukic would have been phenomenal

Our form is 3rd bottom behind only Brighton and Watford. Plus Poch has earned time because he's actually taken Spurs a long way. Ole has proven nothing.

Since what arbitrary date? Since the turn of the year we’ve got more points than them.

They haven’t got an away win since mid January.

So what's the excuse for the back end of last year? Which makes up the majority of those 23 games since this slump truly started? This injury argument is nonsense. Martial is talented but rarely delivers. Same with Pogba. Shaw is about average at best. Lingard has been useless for months. Lindelof wouldn't have done any better than Axel who has played well.
Pogba would do better if played in his correct position and some of these crosses would have been buried by Lukaku. Ole froze him out, was biased towards Rashford big time. Between the start of Feb and end of March, rashford scored all of 3 times, while I dont think he scored in April or May. Lukaku scored 6 in 3 yet gets dropped after 2 poorish performances despite outperforming Rashy.
Rashy was better out wide yet Ole plays him as a 9. Hes also being burned to the ground with Ole playing him when not fit while hes out of form and looks mentally shot. Greenford was supposed to replace Lukaku yet the only person hampering Mason's development is Ole by benching him, playing him out of position and/or subbing him on late. Hes also heaped massive amounts of pressure onto the kid by saying he's the best finisher at the club.

Oh come on he’s been called the best finisher at the club for about the last 3 seasons.

I’ve not seen any evidence of Ole blasting the fans. And I’d love it if I did see some evidence of it because sometimes things do need to be put in to perspective

Pogba would do better if played in his correct position and some of these crosses would have been buried by Lukaku. Ole froze him out, was biased towards Rashford big time. Between the start of Feb and end of March, rashford scored all of 3 times, while I dont think he scored in April or May. Lukaku scored 6 in 3 yet gets dropped after 2 poorish performances despite outperforming Rashy.
Rashy was better out wide yet Ole plays him as a 9. Hes also being burned to the ground with Ole playing him when not fit while hes out of form and looks mentally shot. Greenford was supposed to replace Lukaku yet the only person hampering Mason's development is Ole by benching him, playing him out of position and/or subbing him on late. Hes also heaped massive amounts of pressure onto the kid by saying he's the best finisher at the club.
Ole doesn't play Pogba in his best position though and continues with Rashford as a striker despite it being obvious to all that he's not one.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back