Frank Lampard at Chelsea 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he did do well. His loan signings were astute in Mount, Wilson and Tomori. Granted he should have taken them up but I think overall he did a decent job as it was his first foray into management.

Chelsea took a calculated gamble and weighed up the fact he was a club legend and he was a young guy making his way in management - sure they thought he had the ingredients to get the job done. Sadly it didn’t work out for him but I think he’ll get another gig somewhere. Good shout about Celtic actually. Would be good to see Lampard and Gerrard battling it out.

It hasn’t really helped that the big money signings Havertz and Werner haven’t settled and others have flatted to deceive. The squad is a good one but he just couldn’t get the best out of them. Tuchel may have more success but he does need those new guys to settle.
Lampard was in over his head. He didn't know what his best team was, froze out players like Pulisic, and couldn't get a tune out of Havertz and Werner. Good riddance.

I really don’t rate Tuchel might come good but I don’t think he has what it takes he had neymar and mbappe in the french league the french league and was 3rd when he was sacked and now Poch got them first place he likes to be opinionated to the owners and that’s not going to go down well either.

I really don’t rate Tuchel might come good but I don’t think he has what it takes he had neymar and mbappe in the french league the french league and was 3rd when he was sacked and now Poch got them first place he likes to be opinionated to the owners and that’s not going to go down well either.
Yep. Tuchel is no miracle worker. He's going to join the already lengthy list of short term Chelsea managers.

I'm surprised they didn't go Rafa. He's probably Celtics first choice

Lampard was in over his head. He didn't know what his best team was, froze out players like Pulisic, and couldn't get a tune out of Havertz and Werner. Good riddance.
Yeah think that’s it, in his first season he could get away with oh but we couldn’t buy anyone to a degree. Then he splashed the cash and he couldn’t get a tune out of any of them. Like I said before it didn’t help the new guys couldn’t settle but he chopped and changed so much that the players must have had scrambled minds!

Isn't that a bit unfair, Ole was in over his head a few months ago if you listen to some.
he should have been given the season in my opinion.

I doubt very much Frank had any say in the players brought in, apart from the keeper.

But, like I said, the difference between Ole and Frank is that Ole has not critiscised players in public. This was his downfall, he lost the players confidence, you do that and critiscise the board you have no allies.

Not entirely true Ole slammed the team in his first season when we got pumped 4-0 away at Everton basically said these lot won't be around long and he's been true to his word 18 months later think 9 of the team that started that game are gone or no longer getting regular games.

We never really know how much input a manager has to buying the players at clubs Chelsea certainly seems to be a club with more of a committee approach than 1 man just calling the shots. Buying and selling players is how they balance the books as a club.

The recruitment this summer certainly didn't make a lot of sense especially the 2 German guys.

Werner was a guy who'd never really looked good as the lone striker and Havertz as a number 10 puts him in direct competition with an academy player who's just established himself in your team and was arguably your best player last season.

The keeper, Tiago Silva, Chilwell and Ziyech all made perfect sense they were solutions to obvious problem positions at Chelsea but the 2 German boys to me just didn't really fit in. They looked to me like opportunistic signings because they were the club with money this summer rather than well thought out signings.

I think what might have cost him was the club could see him starting to panic a bit he'd frozen out Rudiger then suddenly he's back in the team, similar with Hudson-Odoi and Abraham coming back in maybe they felt he'd lost his belief in his plan.

Bit harsh Pulisic took time to settle last season and had injuries but second half of last season he was great and since then when fit he's been in the team nearly every week.

As for the two German lads they need to take some responsibility Werner has had plenty of games at centre forward and just not looked at it and Havertz just doesn't seem to fit this team. I'd be looking more at the decision to buy those players for that team in the summer to me they look like they just don't fit the style or system at Chelsea.

Werner would thrive in our team in the CF position. He wants to be playing fast counter attacking football whereas Lampard wanted to move to a more possession based system.

I did read a bit that at Leipzig he played wide a lot and whenever he was up top it was normally as part of a front 2 and yeah the counter attack was a big part of their style.

Can't be easy when the guys supplying you change around every game so as a striker you need to be able to anticipate when the passes will come and where they will go so you can make your runs.

This has been Lampard's downfall I think to much rotation and being in and out of the team that is struggling has zapped everyone's confidence.

Havertz to me just makes no sense as a signing when you already have Mount it's two players for one position it just felt opportunistic from the club to get him while other clubs were skint and it hasn't worked out yet.

Not entirely true Ole slammed the team in his first season when we got pumped 4-0 away at Everton basically said these lot won't be around long and he's been true to his word 18 months later think 9 of the team that started that game are gone or no longer getting regular games.
That's not the same, he was saying the quality of some the squad was not good enough and needed moving on, which he's done or dropped them out the squad. This was to set out the standards he expects.
Frank was critiscing his whole squad, new players, accademy players and all. It's damaging and not all what Ole did. He handled the Pogba drama perfectly. He's really handling the keeper situation well, and lots of our players are improving. He seems like his man management is pretty much perfect.
I was reading the board were really unhappy with Lampards handling of Kepa, freezing him out rather than encouraging him, seeing as he was massively expensive.

That's not the same, he was saying the quality of some the squad was not good enough and needed moving on, which he's done or dropped them out the squad. This was to set out the standards he expects.
Frank was critiscing his whole squad, new players, accademy players and all. It's damaging and not all what Ole did. He handled the Pogba drama perfectly. He's really handling the keeper situation well, and lots of our players are improving. He seems like his man management is pretty much perfect.
I was reading the board were really unhappy with Lampards handling of Kepa, freezing him out rather than encouraging him, seeing as he was massively expensive.

It was actually the attitude he attacked of the players he specifically said they are not working hard enough for the team and each other and as a result some of them would be out the door and he delivered on that promise. To many players at that time just didn't give a sh*t and weren't taking it seriously.

I agree where Lampard was going wrong is questioning players then dropping them for 1 game before calling them back again when you question a players attitude you need to be prepared to drop him for at least a few games before calling him back in for another chance.

It's a tough one how much can you do with a keeper who's dropping clanger after clanger there comes a point where the team needs win if he'd stuck with Kepa there's a serious chance they wouldn't have made top 4 last season.

Results are what done for him in the end of they got into a rut he tried a few things but nothing worked at that point and the club felt he couldn't address the slide all the signs were this will get worse not better if they carry on with the way things were when a club reaches that point they will change something.

Bit harsh Pulisic took time to settle last season and had injuries but second half of last season he was great and since then when fit he's been in the team nearly every week.

As for the two German lads they need to take some responsibility Werner has had plenty of games at centre forward and just not looked at it and Havertz just doesn't seem to fit this team. I'd be looking more at the decision to buy those players for that team in the summer to me they look like they just don't fit the style or system at Chelsea.
Of their first 12 PL matches, Pulisic played only two full matches (80 minutes). Two more were cameos. Pulisic was brought in to be a replacement for Hazard and instead he was benched, and I read it was because Lampard thought Pulisic was all hype (being American). I don't like Lampard and I don't like John Terry, so whenever those ex-Chelsea scum get their comeuppance, it makes me happy.

Can't believe it's got anything to do with him being American. All to do with the fact he's been injured and woefully out of form when he has played.

His 1 goal and 0 assist in almost 900 minutes doesn't strike you as game changing stuff does it.

Can't believe it's got anything to do with him being American. All to do with the fact he's been injured and woefully out of form when he has played.

His 1 goal and 0 assist in almost 900 minutes doesn't strike you as game changing stuff does it.

Jesse Marsch said Lampard told him as much.

I can't believe it, you're saying if he was on form he wouldn't have picked him? That article is just an Americans opinion on something he has no inside information on. I doubt very much Lampard is racist. He sounds like he's (author) got a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Maybe he isn't getting the recognition he thinks he deserves.

The facts are, he gets injured a lot, and his form has been dog sh!t.

Jesse Marsch said Lampard told him as much.

He says Lampard said he's got a lot to learn. I'd expect a 21 year old at the time to have a lot to learn. Taking care of the ball, choosing the right pass and knowing when to take on the dribble and the defensive side of the game.

Because of his age not the fact he's American.

Sounds a lot like an American coach who thinks he's not given a fair shout blaming it on his nationality which is bizarre. Because every club in the world wants the first truly world class American in their side because if you truly break that market you'll steel a march on everyone.

As I said Pulisic form as made him almost unpickable this season. That would be the same is he was English. He needs to sort himself out. The same way Greenwood has struggled got minutes at Old Trafford because he's not having an effect in games.

Pulisic is clearly a very talented young player who Chelsea invested in but by the time he'd arrived he'd lost his starting spot at Dortmund to Sancho so he probably needed a bit of time to adapt to a new league and a slightly different playing style.

There's a lot of talk around Pulisic becuase of his nationality and the coverage that gets him and the US is starting to knock out some top players now but last season Chelsea had a lot of established senior players in wide areas so he had to earn his spot.

Once Pulisic was fit he was given chances on the pitch and he did well and stayed in the team until his injury in the FA Cup final, this season has been a bit stop/start with injuries as well.

I'd say in Lampard's head this season he had Pulisic down as his preferred starter on the left side of the attack but he's not always been available for a lot of games. I think he's a player Lampard would have been relying on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back