FA Cup Semi Finals 2023/24: Coventry vs Man United - Sun 21st Apr - 15:30 KO

SuperRash

On paper this should be a routine victory but not much is routine with us anymore!

Coventry are just outside the play offs so are having a decent season but if we show up and play to our ability then we’ll win but it is a semi final after all!

I watched a little bit of Coventry last year when Hamer and Gyokeres were doing great things but they’ve both gone now, so are understandably weaker. Ellis Simms is in some great form, so need to keep an eye on him.

I would be dropping both Casemiro and Rashford but they will probably both start. Would definitely be up for giving Amad a start.

Prefer it if it was at a neutral venue, Villa Park would be nice, but Wembley might inspire the Coventry players .....

Can't believe I had to google how you spell Wembley, only been going there since 1974 :rolleyes:

Nothing routine about United this season, Iv mentioned it many times we struggle against physical teams in a fast pace game and if that’s how Coventry approach it we’ll struggle to beat them.

Think this is it for them now their chances of getting in the playoffs are very slim now.

Shouldn't really be any excuses on this one.

Utd just have to make that final.

"Man Utd are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Hold tight.

Think I read that Antony is back in training but none of the other injured players will return for this one so probably going to be the same side that started against Bournemouth.

Predicted XI

Onana

AWB Kambwala Maguire Dalot

Casemiro Mainoo

Garnacho Bruno Rashford

Hojlund

My guess is AWB will start at right back with Dalot at left back.

In midfield I just can't see him dropping Casemiro despite his performances being poor since he returned, it would be a big call to suddenly drop Amrabat in now.

I wouldn't be against starting Mount ahead of Rashford for this one he's not in good form and I'd hope Mount would allow us to keep the ball a bit better in the final third and maybe create a few chances for Hojlund.

There is a suggestion that Garnacho may be dropped to the bench for his social media antics after the Bournemouth game. ETH has been big on discipline within the squad and he may have to keep keep to that even though it's a cup final.

Think I read that Antony is back in training but none of the other injured players will return for this one so probably going to be the same side that started against Bournemouth.

Predicted XI

Onana

AWB Kambwala Maguire Dalot

Casemiro Mainoo

Garnacho Bruno Rashford

Hojlund

My guess is AWB will start at right back with Dalot at left back.

In midfield I just can't see him dropping Casemiro despite his performances being poor since he returned, it would be a big call to suddenly drop Amrabat in now.

I wouldn't be against starting Mount ahead of Rashford for this one he's not in good form and I'd hope Mount would allow us to keep the ball a bit better in the final third and maybe create a few chances for Hojlund.

There is a suggestion that Garnacho may be dropped to the bench for his social media antics after the Bournemouth game. ETH has been big on discipline within the squad and he may have to keep keep to that even though it's a cup final.

Is it really a cup final?

If Garnacho doesn't start it will most likely be because the club are protecting his known hamstring problem, and not because of his response(since deleted) to a tweety thing, and the press will know that, but totally ignore that, like they do, and go big on a EtH/Garnacho fall-out

Is it really a cup final?

If Garnacho doesn't start it will most likely be because the club are protecting his known hamstring problem, and not because of his response(since deleted) to a tweety thing, and the press will know that, but totally ignore that, like they do, and go big on a EtH/Garnacho fall-out

I could double down and argue it is or I could admit it was a typo.

He has apparently apologised and deleted it all but liking tweets that criticise your manager isn’t very sensible and exactly the sort of stupid stuff ETH and the club need to keep a lid on.

Not sure it’s quite a droppable offence but I imagine he’s had a stern talking to off the manager and hopefully a few senior players telling him to knock that sort of behaviour on the head sharpish.

I could double down and argue it is or I could admit it was a typo.

He has apparently apologised and deleted it all but liking tweets that criticise your manager isn’t very sensible and exactly the sort of stupid stuff ETH and the club need to keep a lid on.

Not sure it’s quite a droppable offence but I imagine he’s had a stern talking to off the manager and hopefully a few senior players telling him to knock that sort of behaviour on the head sharpish.

I wish they'd all come off social media ....

It's just too easy to 'like' posts sarcastically, and the sarcasm not be picked up on

In this instance I don't know what happened, nor do I have any real interest

I wish they'd all come off social media ....

It's just too easy to 'like' posts sarcastically, and the sarcasm not be picked up on

In this instance I don't know what happened, nor do I have any real interest

I think it’s just part of the game and their brand now but players should not be the ones logging on to it and looking after it.

I don’t know the full story, think it was something those idiots over at the United stand posted criticising ETH for subbing off Garnacho after the game and he liked it.

It was hardly Ronaldo or Sancho level stuff but it’s the sort of thing that needs addressing.

I think it’s just part of the game and their brand now but players should not be the ones logging on to it and looking after it.

I don’t know the full story, think it was something those idiots over at the United stand posted criticising ETH for subbing off Garnacho after the game and he liked it.

It was hardly Ronaldo or Sancho level stuff but it’s the sort of thing that needs addressing.

Yeah but it's one of them, Garnacho knows he's carrying an injury, and it might have been yeah mate, the Manager doesn't know what he's doing ....

Not explained it very well, but think you know what i'm saying

Yeah but it's one of them, Garnacho knows he's carrying an injury, and it might have been yeah mate, the Manager doesn't know what he's doing ....

Not explained it very well, but think you know what i'm saying

I get that but he's still "supporting" a post that criticises his boss and likely those tits at the united stand don't care that he's carrying an injury and they're just out for clicks attention and someone needs to smarten up that lad about this sort of stuff. Stay away from it.

He set an example with Sancho.

If he liked the tweet, he needs dropping. And probably rightly so, players should not be liking tweets critiscing the manager.

regardless if the manager is shite, there needs to be a chain of command.

And I'm saying this as a huge Garnacho fan who has critisised the manager for subbing him off previously

I think some of the players are becoming somewhat lacking in care due to what they think is an inevitable sacking. That's maybe what has happened. I don't think Garnacho is someone who likes to keep his mouth shut either, so he's probably struggling.

I agree though, he shouldn't be doing it. It doesn't help the team, and that has to be the focus.

I get that but he's still "supporting" a post that criticises his boss and likely those tits at the united stand don't care that he's carrying an injury and they're just out for clicks attention and someone needs to smarten up that lad about this sort of stuff. Stay away from it.

Said that in my earlier post, wish they'd all stay off it.

He set an example with Sancho.

If he liked the tweet, he needs dropping. And probably rightly so, players should not be liking tweets critiscing the manager.

regardless if the manager is shite, there needs to be a chain of command.

And I'm saying this as a huge Garnacho fan who has critisised the manager for subbing him off previously

Slightly different, Sancho was already on the naughty step for his shocking fitness levels the previous season then accused the Manager of being a liar, and that's off the scale compared to liking a post suggesting the Manager is an idiot, and you've got to remember though he(Garnacho) picked up speaking English in rapid time foreigners do tend to struggle reading English ....

And EtH is not gonna drop the one player Coventry will be most worried about facing in a match that might yet save his job, if it was one of the last few League games and we were fixed in our final League position no doubt EtH would leave him out as a punishment, and a warning to others, whether he thought it was the right thing to do or not.

I think he showed last season when he dropped Rashford for Wolves because he was late to a team meeting that standards and discipline are important. I accept dropping Rashford for a league game during the season is different to a cup semi final but I think top managers have to be really tough on the squad to keep a grip on them.

The Sancho stuff was a lot more extreme that the Garnacho case and as a result the punishment was extreme. There was some reporting that he's apologised to Ten Hag which might be enough for him to get off with a slap on the wrist rather than actually lose his spot in the team.

I think there's enough room for ETH to give him a warning and still pick him without undermining his authority amongst the squad. The fact he's a kid probably allows you to cut him a little more slack that you do the lads who should know better.

Getting nervous about the match already, back in the day the only time the nerves hit was when I was queueing up to get in ....

Well, I'm getting bored waiting for it. The biggest annoyance for me is the time between games. It really drags some weeks. Football is my favourite thing, Id have good games every day if possible.

Similar, that's why I can never understand fans saying they wish the season was over ....

It's like School holidays, yay, 6 weeks no school, i'm gonna do this, i'm gonna do that, but after a week you're pining for school, 5 more weeks of this hell ....

Couldn't find a relevant thread and it's not worth creating a new one, but the FA's decision to scrap all replays starting next season is a nonsense, it's almost like the little clubs don't matter, I get the fixture congestion, but seriously come on ....

One of the minnows is paired with United, plays at home and hangs on for a replay, the money they receive from a near full house at Old Trafford would enable said minnow to pay their players(on-time) for the next 2/3 years

Hope the clubs, or enough of them get together and challenge the FA on this. Would obviously help if the Bigger clubs were on board with the idea, sadly I don't think they would be. United probably would be, but ....

Couldn't find a relevant thread and it's not worth creating a new one, but the FA's decision to scrap all replays starting next season is a nonsense, it's almost like the little clubs don't matter, I get the fixture congestion, but seriously come on ....

One of the minnows is paired with United, plays at home and hangs on for a replay, the money they receive from a near full house at Old Trafford would enable said minnow to pay their players(on-time) for the next 2/3 years

Hope the clubs, or enough of them get together and challenge the FA on this. Would obviously help if the Bigger clubs were on board with the idea, sadly I don't think they would be. United probably would be, but ....

Set in stone for 6 years apparently, what a steaming pile of sh*te :mad:

Sad but everyone wants more of the top sides now and something has to give. The 2 leg semi in the league cup will be gone soon enough, I can’t understand how they’ve kept them in the calendar. Wouldn’t be surprised if the clubs playing in Europe field even weaker sides next season in the league cup.

UEFA have expanded the European tournaments at the request of the European Club Association.
Fifa have now stuck this club World Cup tournament into the mix.

I think sadly the domestic cup competitions are dying a slow death, teams throughout all leagues are weakening their sides for cup games, attendances for cup games tend to go down rather than up.

The current generation of players wont have the memory of the FA cup being a huge deal.

Not sure about that, the Big boys will still be drawn against the minnows ....

Given most players are between 20-30 that means most of their football memories probably start around 2000 onwards at the earliest. For most it’s later than that.

They’ve watched football in the era where every team uses the cup to give fringe players game time.

It is a shame replays are gone but how many minnows have managed to secure a big money spinning replay in the last 20 years? It can’t be many.

For fans surely you want the big upset rather than the replay.

Given most players are between 20-30 that means most of their football memories probably start around 2000 onwards at the earliest. For most it’s later than that.

They’ve watched football in the era where every team uses the cup to give fringe players game time.

It is a shame replays are gone but how many minnows have managed to secure a big money spinning replay in the last 20 years? It can’t be many.

For fans surely you want the big upset rather than the replay.

Not really sure where you're going with this, what has it got to do with the players or their memories, you either agree it's a sh*te idea to do away with replays. or you don't.

Football is for the fans!

It's a disgrace.

Big clubs chasing the money as per usual. Football is just a business, and fans are their mugs.

The competion is dying, and this is another nail in the coffin.

I think there is more than you think.

Not really sure where you're going with this, what has it got to do with the players or their memories, you either agree it's a sh*te idea to do away with replays. or you don't.

Football is for the fans!

Of course it's for the fans but if I supported a League 1 or 2 team and we got Utd at home. I wouldn't go to that game dreaming of a draw that gets us a big pay day I'd be dreaming of a win.

Do we remember the great money spinning draws that got a team a replay of the massive upsets where David beats Goliath.

The replays are great for clubs it can be an unexpected lottery win for some clubs but as I said how often do clubs get these games, once every 50 years if they're lucky?

I think the PL clubs could do a lot more for the lower league sides for example if a non league team is drawn at home vs a premier league side they should be able keep 100% of the TV money and gate receipts.

Just get rid of the unnecessary League Cup and keep the FA Cup as the only domestic cup. Then you wouldn’t have to do this nonsense of scrapping replays which is a dagger to lower league teams.

Of course it's for the fans but if I supported a League 1 or 2 team and we got Utd at home. I wouldn't go to that game dreaming of a draw that gets us a big pay day I'd be dreaming of a win.

Do we remember the great money spinning draws that got a team a replay of the massive upsets where David beats Goliath.

The replays are great for clubs it can be an unexpected lottery win for some clubs but as I said how often do clubs get these games, once every 50 years if they're lucky?

I think the PL clubs could do a lot more for the lower league sides for example if a non league team is drawn at home vs a premier league side they should be able keep 100% of the TV money and gate receipts.

The vast majority of people are against this, but I guess if you are a FA Man, and your subs are up to date :D

A 10 second orgasm, or the immediate future of your club being secured, mmmm, it's a tough one!

And a chance to go to Old Trafford or Anfield and taking over an entire stand, it just doesn't get better than that ....

The FA has just dumped a million gallons of Industrial strength weedkiller on grassroot football ....

The vast majority of people are against this, but I guess if you are a FA Man, and your subs are up to date :D

A 10 second orgasm, or the immediate future of your club being secured, mmmm, it's a tough one!

And a chance to go to Old Trafford or Anfield and taking over an entire stand, it just doesn't get better than that ....

Is the game about money or is it about great moments? The financial stability of your club should never be dependant on a lucky cup draw, you cut your cloth accordingly a big away cup draw is a bonus.

Did our cup games against Reading or Derby help them? What about Rochdale?

Is it fair when lower league clubs stop big clubs discounting tickets for home fans to fill the ground because they want to maximise the income.

I don’t think there’s a fair solution to all these issues in the game. A better distribution of the PL tv money would help but to be honest I’d rather that money goes straight to grass roots than propping up football league clubs. Our kids/amateur facilities in this country are embarrassing given the wealth of our top domestic league.

Is the game about money or is it about great moments? The financial stability of your club should never be dependant on a lucky cup draw, you cut your cloth accordingly a big away cup draw is a bonus.

Did our cup games against Reading or Derby help them? What about Rochdale?

Is it fair when lower league clubs stop big clubs discounting tickets for home fans to fill the ground because they want to maximise the income.

I don’t think there’s a fair solution to all these issues in the game. A better distribution of the PL tv money would help but to be honest I’d rather that money goes straight to grass roots than propping up football league clubs. Our kids/amateur facilities in this country are embarrassing given the wealth of our top domestic league.

I've losing the will to live.

Wish I'd posted that is was great news the FA were scrapping replays from the 1st round onwards.

Greed is good!

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back