Everton Discussion 2023/24

They're not happy. Apparently they shouldn't get anymore charges becuase they're appealing the first. Yet they admitted the first charges didn't they? They must be having a laugh.

Other way round I think.

They have admitted that for the current season they are over the limit but didn’t admit the previous charge.

Because your finances are assessed over a 3 year rolling period 2 of the seasons that got them a 10 point deduction are still a reason why they’ve failed this year.

The previous charges related to the way they recorded costs within their accounts they attempted to write off costs by linking them to the stadium that the leagues auditors said wasn’t allowed. When the accounts were corrected they were over budget. They basically thought they’d found a loophole but the independent panel said there wasn’t a loophole and that the true accounts had them over budget.

Other way round I think.

They have admitted that for the current season they are over the limit but didn’t admit the previous charge.

Because your finances are assessed over a 3 year rolling period 2 of the seasons that got them a 10 point deduction are still a reason why they’ve failed this year.

The previous charges related to the way they recorded costs within their accounts they attempted to write off costs by linking them to the stadium that the leagues auditors said wasn’t allowed. When the accounts were corrected they were over budget. They basically thought they’d found a loophole but the independent panel said there wasn’t a loophole and that the true accounts had them over budget.
I see.

10 point deduction reduced to 6.

Don’t really get it to be honest, if you’re guilty then you’re guilty and the punishment is the punishment. Did they promise not to do it again?

Guess there's no precedent to follow in terms of the number of points that should be deducted when the rules are broken.

Punishments in sport are often reduced on appeal so not really a surprise.

They managed to get 2 parts of the punishment over turned on appeal so I guess less breaches of the rules means less points deducted.

Didn't they get their points deduction the week before they played Utd?

10 point deduction reduced to 6.

Don’t really get it to be honest, if you’re guilty then you’re guilty and the punishment is the punishment. Did they promise not to do it again?

I think that's for the benefit of Man City, so they'll know when the powers that be get their backsides in gear and dock City 750 points for their misdemeanours that if they keep their heads down, and appeal through the proper channels it might be reduced to 500 points, or maybe they just felt sorry for Everton.

I think that's for the benefit of Man City, so they'll know when the powers that be get their backsides in gear and dock City 750 points for their misdemeanours that if they keep their heads down, and appeal through the proper channels it might be reduced to 500 points, or maybe they just felt sorry for Everton.
I don't think a point deduction will be what City end up with. If even 50% of them charges land, they'll be banned from the league.

Quite happy for Everton, I thought 10 points was maybe a bit harsh.

Yep City's punishment if they are guilty has to be the absolute nuclear option which is relegation be that to the EFL or lower.

The charges against them are not just breaking the rules but a systematic approach to covering it up.

That is a major headache for the Premier League as it makes the last decade of competition almost pointless because the team who've dominated the era would be cheats, it really hurts the brand!

I don't think a point deduction will be what City end up with. If even 50% of them charges land, they'll be banned from the league.

Quite happy for Everton, I thought 10 points was maybe a bit harsh.

Not sure you can ban them from the League, if they were then every one of their results in the period they 'offended' would have to removed from the records and you'd have a situation where clubs who were relegated in those season would sue City and the PL for loss of earnings, it would be never ending court cases, then there's the teams that missed out on European football because of results against City ....

It would be like trying to clear minefields as far as the eye can see with no bomb-disposal experts, or anybody with any knowledge where to start to achieve mine free fields.

The only fair punishment without involving other clubs is to have them start the next 5/10 years on say -30 points, and give them a total transfer ban for that same period.

Not sure you can ban them from the League, if they were then every one of their results in the period they 'offended' would have to removed from the records and you'd have a situation where clubs who were relegated in those season would sue City and the PL for loss of earnings, it would be never ending court cases, then there's the teams that missed out on European football because of results against City ....

It would be like trying to clear minefields as far as the eye can see with no bomb-disposal experts, or anybody with any knowledge where to start to achieve mine free fields.

The only fair punishment without involving other clubs is to have them start the next 5/10 years on say -30 points, and give them a total transfer ban for that same period.
Well good luck to the people who have to make it all make sense, because I know for a fact the expulsion from the premier league is a very real prospect.

The decision on City needs to satisfy the other 19 members of the league who on this one I think are rightly out for blood.

It's a tough one because the charges against City are that they not only cheated, they then lied about it to cover it up. Which will in a way have impacted every other club so I think the punishment has to be massive because how can you ever trust those people to act in good faith again?

I'm pretty sure under the rules the clubs can't then go after City in the courts for damages if they're found guilty. By agreeing to be a member of the premier league you have to waive certain legal rights, it's why teams can't take these independent panels to CAS. Think this came in after the Sheff Utd case took against West Ham over the Tevez/Mascherano signings.

City will get off, so forget about that.

This punishment on Everton seems so random, 10 points, for what reason, what are the rules? what was brought to the table that knocked off 4 points? why 4. Why 10 initially.

ERNIE!

This punishment on Everton seems so random, 10 points, for what reason, what are the rules? what was brought to the table that knocked off 4 points? why 4. Why 10 initially.

ERNIE!

Well you could read the judgement to see which rules they broke and why the independent panel concluded initially that there were (I think) 11 points where Everton had failed to meet the PSR requirements. The panel then decided that those 11 points were worthy of a penalty of 10 points as the first case of it's kind they didn't have a benchmark to use.

On appeal they managed to get 2 of the 11 points in the original judgement over turned and they also argued that the benchmarking procedure used by the panel to come up with 10 points was flawed.

Under the current rules it's an automatic 9 point deduction for going into administration in the premier league.

In the football league breaches of FFP have seen points deduction with Sheff Wed docked 6 points in 2020.

They therefore argued that a similar breach of rules in a similar competition was punished by 6 points and the appeal panel agreed that this was a fair benchmark for the punishment.

This obviously now sets a precedent for the premier league so any club in the same situation who break the PSR going forward will likely get a 6 point penalty.

ERNIE!
The whole credibility of football will be shattered if City get off. I would give up with football if they receive no sort of harsh punishment.

These 115 charges weren’t just plucked out of thin air, it was a thorough investigation and it sounds like it was hindered by City all along the way.

They 100% shouldn’t get away with it. Will they? Possibly - but the EPL will lose me as a fan. Hope the powers that he will read this! :p

The whole credibility of football will be shattered if City get off. I would give up with football if they receive no sort of harsh punishment.

These 115 charges weren’t just plucked out of thin air, it was a thorough investigation and it sounds like it was hindered by City all along the way.

They 100% shouldn’t get away with it. Will they? Possibly - but the EPL will lose me as a fan. Hope the powers that he will read this! :p

I suspect a call will be made to the premier league from downing street telling them to back down.

That is how soft power works and with the City case they will never face the punishment they deserve for what they did.

I suspect they'll be hit with a big fine, a transfer ban and a 6 point deduction from next season. The league has to be seen to save face but it's going to be a slap on the wrist.

If City get off all charges it will kill football off altogether for a lot of people, they've cheated and I think they will get punished but how much remains to be seen.

Worth noting that had Everton been deducted the 6 points last season when the breach occurred they would now be in the championship.

Their next case may not be heard until after the final game of this season but the league are adamant the decision including any appeal will be concluded before the final league table is decided.

Another two points deducted for the second PSR breach.

Basically last season they were still £16.6m over the 3 year limit.

No doubt Everton will appeal.

Unlikely appeal will be heard before the all the games are completed this season.

Going to be a shambles at the end of the season if appeals are still pending and all matches are finished.

Yep although I believe the rules have changed so club need to submit accounts earlier to make sure cases are heard earlier before the end of the season.

It shouldn’t really matter to Everton they should be good enough to get out of trouble, that win at the weekend looks even more important now.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back