European Premier League: Talks take place over new £4.6bn tournament

Prem league have mentioned punishments

Talk of 3 prem clubs having second thoughts, of course that won't be our muppets.

Maybe this will get booted out, and maybe, hopefully, it will be the start of the end of the Glazers.

think he might have a problem with the lawyers and that. How can he say one group of people can organise something, but others can't. Who knows, I guess it's a route to explore.

My favoured route would be one I spoke about earlier, make all clubs have to be 51% fan owned, as this would drive out all the businessmen once and for all. Again, don' t know how you get that passed, it's all too late.

I would think, for it to work, the FA would eventually sign up to something, or the money wouldn't filter down. They cannot afford to lose those 6 clubs out the league. It will kill the game.

Legally I would imagine it's an easier thing to impose than the 51% fan ownership rule but would you really want to give the FA an organisation that is constantly criticised for being out of touch that much control?

How do the government legally take 51% of the shares off Man Utd and give them to the fans?

Can they nationalise the football clubs then sell off 49% stakes in them?

Just doesn't stack up really does it.

The leagues should turn around and say to these clubs you can stay in domestic competition but you get a vastly reduced share of the TV Revenues and lose your voting rights.

In theory, this is 100% in the hands of the fans. If we stop going to the footballl, cancel our tv subscriptions, refuse to buy merch and only support the direct rivals of the sponsors, then the money dries up and this dies. In practice, it's like asking all the meth heads to get together and boycott their dealers to make the drug problem go away.

I was listening to the Monday Night Club last night and realized when they referred to fans they're thinking of the local match going supporters, the ones the Glazers don't like because they call local radio and complain, they protest and chant and wear green and gold scarves, and do all the things that fans can do to make change. The supporters the Glazers are referring to are the ones who watch on tv, in places like India, China, the US, Africa etc. Those are the fans this Super League is designed to monetize, at the expense of the locals. That's the consumer the Glazers are suiting here.
Football would soon lose its appeal without crowds, I particularly dislike it presently but it is something we need to suffer in the short term. No way could it be considered long term.

Football would soon lose its appeal without crowds, I particularly dislike it presently but it is something we need to suffer in the short term. No way could it be considered long term.
That's the presumption, but I would bet that Covid viewing numbers are telling these owners a very different tale. Imagine if they don't have to renovate and update OT but can play at Carrington and produce a similar tv viewing experience? That's music to Glazer ears.

Was listening to something earlier about how the major sports in America do everything from a marketing point of view. When it comes to their product they know 99% of people are watching on TV and they will never actually see a game live. So the game is packaged in a way that serves the needs of 99% of the fans around the world the fans in stadiums/arenas basically become irrelevant they are essentially background noise that give them extra money from ticket sales. I would imagine NFL games are close to 100% sell outs for every game with full stadiums but that is not the reality for the other sports far from it. I went to a Yankee game 2 years ago against Boston their main rivals the stadium was less than 50% full which is totally normal.

The unknown is how many fans would turn off if the ground is empty especially if you just shot the action from a different angle that made the ground look full or even CGI in a fake crowd. Would you even know the difference? I can't stand watching the games without crowds but I've still watched nearly every game during lockdown does that mean I've still got my addiction and they can keep me hooked?

These clubs will obviously want big crowds but the real power shift here is these clubs will own the TV/Streaming rights.

The only way they could win fans round is by saying now we've got this we can massively cut ticket prices but there's no chance that happens.

You walk out at Anfield in a CL semi with a crowd and without a crowd you know, and it's obvious on the TV too.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yep, Chelsea are wanting to pull out and fair play to the Chelsea fans who have staged a big demo outside Stamford Bridge.

United will be the last money grabbing bumholes to leave. Points deducted out of the CL places

Don’t care that they are leaving and they shouldn’t be respected for pulling out. The fact they signed their names to it in the first place is disgraceful. Now they are just proving they are spineless by caving in when it got tough. Obviously happy clubs are pulling out but the whole affair has just left a bitter taste.

To be honest, Im disappointed with you lot on here. Just werent vocal enough against it and would likely have followed like sheep had it gone ahead.

To be honest, Im disappointed with you lot on here. Just werent vocal enough against it and would likely have followed like sheep had it gone ahead.
Maybe you should start a thread on how you’re disappointed by us all? Oh wait...

If it does fall apart, as it looks to, I hope serious reforms come in to UEFA, FIFA but most of all, club ownership. We've got to get away from these clubs being run purely as a business. The Glazers have ruined our club

Great to see clubs backing out and fans should never forget what they signed up for and all these owners need chasing out of their clubs.

I hope the Glazers wake up tomorrow finding their share price has tanked.

Let’s hope that this is the whole thing collapsing.

UEFA and the ECA should make them grovel to come back these clubs need to be punished an apology will not be enough if they could they should ban them all from next seasons European competitions but they won’t.

Woodward should never be allowed to step foot in Old Trafford again and Perez should be forced to resign as the Madrid president.

The clubs who don't need the money are the first to realize this was an ill-advised idea. Expect the gimps to hold on until the bitter end.

Juve chairman has also resigned according to reports.

So glad this has backfired on them.

They're using the phrase 'collapse of the Super League' on Sky. Hopefully they're right but that seems a tad premature.

City are officially out confirmed they have began the process of withdrawing from the group of clubs developing the super league.

So 1 pillar has fallen.

The clubs are apparently meeting online to discuss where they go from here.

Today Kevin De Bruyne, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Marcus Rashford, Luke Shaw, Jordan Henderson all spoke out against it.

Sir Kenny Dalglish joined Sir Alex is condemning the idea.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back