Europa League 2022/23: Round of 16: Man Utd vs Real Betis - Thu 9th March 8pm KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
From what I've read and heard about Betis they're basically the Spanish version of Wolves. Don't score many goals but hard to break down. They're currently 5th in La Liga 3 points behind Sociedad in 4th and they come in on a decent run they'd won 3 in a row before a defeat at the weekend. They're the third Spanish side we've faced in this years Europa League as well. That is the extent of my knowledge about them.

For Utd it was all looking so rosy until about 5.30 yesterday when the whole world seemed to implode on us. Ten Hag has a big job to lift these players back up off the floor after that absolute mess of a match and he faces some big decisions over what the consequence of some of the performances will be. I suspect he'll give the whole lot of them a tough time today rather than look to dig out individuals.

I think some changes will be made just for rotation there were some tired looking legs on show yesterday so it needs a freshen up I think.

DDG

AWB Maguire Martinez Malacia

Fred Sabitzer

Anthony Bruno Sancho

Rashford

Utd need a good win to bounce back from Sunday and to try and put the tie to bed in 1 leg if they can they don't want to be off to Spain next week needing a win.

I think he's playing with an injury he did not look himself yesterday, if that is the case I'd look to try and rest him for the next few games.

I think he's playing with an injury he did not look himself yesterday, if that is the case I'd look to try and rest him for the next few games.
Been confirmed he is a doubt for Thursday due to injury picked up against Liverpool

I don't think Rashford has looked right since he went off a few games ago I suspect he's also playing through the pain.

we do need to rest a few

ddg

awb
Maguire
Martinez (assume Lindelof is injured)
Malacia

Sabitzer
Mctom

Sancho

Antony
weghorst
Garnacho

I think it's a really tough call for ETH to make there's an international break coming up so he might be hoping he can keep them going until that and maybe get a few of them to drop out for a break. We have 4 games before the break Betis (h), Southampton (h), Betis (a) and Fulham (h) FA Cup.

It's Euro qualifiers and with the expanded tournament it's pretty hard not to qualify for that. Rashford is still trying to get a starting spot in that England side so he'll want to go as part of that squad even if he isn't 100% fit.

The South American sides are only playing friendlies but it's likely Fred, Anthony, Martinez and Garnacho will want to be part of those squads as they aren't starters for their national teams. Casemiro might be one who can miss the games without worrying about his spot in future squads.

I think he's got to go as strong as he can Thursday to hopefully make the game next week one where he can make a few changes to give players a rest. He'll be thinking if we can progress in the two cups and get 3 points vs Southampton the result at the weekend will be quickly in the rear view mirror if we stumble again it will be dwelled on.

I do think we need a freshen up. I know we can argue that we should play full strength and get the tie out of the way but I think it’s more beneficial to give a few guys a little breather.

I would be resting Varane and Casemiro for sure. Also if Rashford is playing through something, then he may need the night off or at least be on the bench.

Without even looking at any squad news, I presume Martial isn’t in the squad?

I agree, it's not like the team I picked is full of kids. Of course playing McTom is always dangerous.

I'd always work on the assumption that Martial isn't fit and even if he is he's likely only going to be a sub. Absolute waste of space that guy.

The risk is you go weak and get a bad result then suddenly Sunday becomes more important and you have to chase the game next Thursday.

I agree if they're injured you don't risk them but I think the Europa League is the best shot at another pot this season so I'd be looking to keep the changes to a minimum if I can. Lets be honest they didn't exactly run themselves into the ground on Sunday.

Betis are going to be a pretty decent side they got a draw against Real Madrid at the weekend.

Unchanged from the Liverpool game.

Think it maybe a case of ETH saying, go prove that that game was a one off and perform to your ability.

Its going to be a funny one this, I think we are going to have to fight hard for it. Predict 4-3

Not surprised he stuck the same team out these boys should be chomping at the bit to get out there and put Sunday in the past.

Really struggling to see the point of Weghorst says a lot about how far Sancho has to go to get back in the managers good books that he can’t get in the side ahead of a guy who runs about a bit.

His kicking has fallen well behind the top keepers over the last decade.

Some of De Gea’s kicks are just unfathomable!

Overall we’ve done okay but lacking that killer instinct in the final third. Would be getting Sancho and Garnacho on asap.

Dodgy handball decision strikes again in the Europa.

claiming that as accidental I think is a bit of a stretch.

Dalot off AWB on.

Dalot has not been the same since the World Cup.

Much better second half.

Good for Weghorst to get an Old Trafford goal.

Delighted for Weghorst, he works so hard and really deserves it. Brilliant play from Pellistri in the lead up to it.

Overall we played well apart from a 10-15 minute period in the first half where Betis threatened. Other than that we cruised it and could have had a few more goals.

That is exactly how you want to bounce back.

Created plenty of chances 4 goals with 4 different scorers, got to take off a few players early for a rest and a foot firmly in the quarter finals.

The players looked up for it from the off, loads more energy, rushing to get the ball back, etc.

Great to see Wout bag one, especially after a bad miss earlier and was impressed by Pellistri.

Big Dave had a night to forget, hopefully he'll get a boot up the arse and it'll be sorted.

All in all, a pleasing response.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back