Europa League 2020/21: Man Utd vs Roma Thu 29th Apr 20:00 KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Huge game for Ole in his hunt for his first trophy as Utd manager and the clubs first trophy since winning the EL back in 2017.

As far as we know everyone came through the weekend game unscathed so no new injuries to worry about.

The big question will be over the keeper does he stick with Henderson or will he continue playing De Gea in the cup games.

I personally think it's better having the home leg first so it's really important Utd get the win and more important a clean sheet to take the away goals off the table.

Roma not having a great season 7th in the league and out of the race for CL qualifications but they have a few familiar faces in players like Smalling, Mkhitaryan, former City striker Dzeko and former Chelsea winger Pedro. They knocked out Ajax in the previous round and even though this is the second rate competition any team that reaches the semi final stage is going to be a decent side.

Predicted XI

DDG

AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

McTominay Fred

Rashford Bruno Pogba

Cavani

I used to watch a fair amount of Serie A but not so much anymore so can’t really comment how good Roma are. Looks like they are struggling a little in the league but have no doubt still got some players that can hurt you. Dzeko was always a bit of a nightmare to play against.

Would go along mostly with the line up @jsp suggested. I would be tempted to give Rashford a break to be honest and be used as an impact player in this one. On current form Greenwood should be starting ahead of him - if one of them was to miss out.

We've got to get away from the two holdng midfielders. It's woeful and to be honest I'm falling out of love with Ole a little over it.

I think the worry with Rashford on the bench is the injury he has clearly requires painkillers and you can almost see it games where they wear off and he ends up coming off. For me he either has to start or not play at all as you don't want to risk putting him on the injury flairing up and not having any subs to be able to take him off.

We've got to get away from the two holdng midfielders. It's woeful and to be honest I'm falling out of love with Ole a little over it.

Is McTominay really a holding midfield player? He's nearly in double figures for the season.

We will always need to play a 2 man midfield while we have Bruno as it gives him maximum freedom.

What we need is a better central midfield partnership so we aren't playing Fred all the time.

This is the best partnership we've got for now so he's going to stick with it for the rest of the season.

that two man midfield is awful, whatever you want to call their style. They are not good enough, and dull.

Also, they aren't attacking midfielders, so what are they if you're saying they're not defensive. Fred can't pass very well, neither dictate play, neither can change the tempo. They are completely predictable.

I would tend to agree but it's not a system problem it's a partnership problem but it's also required because the forwards lose the ball so much because they're encouraged to take risks you need to have protection for your defence. It's just finding the right balance between the attack and defence which is why I think he goes with it so often.

The whole team hasn't really clicked very often since Christmas I think the number of games for a fairly small squad has caught up to a lot of them but this happens with all top sides who play in lots of competitions towards the end it becomes a slog.

Home forms been a big problem for us this season you just hope that against Roma we turn up ready from the first minute and don't leave ourselves with a mountain to climb away from home.

It is certainly a problem to us. As I have said before I dont believe we have anybody who plays in out midfield 2 that gets into any of the other big teams, but unfortunately it is still the best we have.

Calling this a must win is probably slightly over the top, but only slightly. If we truly are the second best team in England as our league position suggests, and this season does amount to real progress, then we need to get over this semi-final thing or questions will start to be asked. I'd be more inclined to ask them of the players than the manager, but we all know Ole will end up getting it in the neck if we don't get through. Especially if by some miracle Arsenal do.

Bruno has been well off form recently, and kind of living of past perormances, he needs to show up.

Exactly what I’ve been saying it’s not often we by 3 or 4 goals is it ? And this is the reason why

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Think we’ll smash ‘em! 4-0 incoming!

Shame Greenwood isn’t starting but other than that really strong line up. Well as strong as it can be with Fred in it.

I see Smalling has made it back for this one.

Shame Greenwood isn’t starting.

Such a shame there’s no fans for a big European night like this.

Beautiful goal.

Fantastic build up play from top quality players such slick passing all in tune with each other.

1-1 penalty.

Thought with handball if it deflects off your body into the arm they don’t give them?

Checked the rules and if it hits your body before your arm it shouldn’t be classed as handball.

What is the point in VAR as it clearly flick off Pogba’s hip before hitting his arm.

1-2

How the hell are we losing this they are rubbish.

Roma has had all the luck, good and bad. The ref has chosen not to call two egregious fouls yellows, both goals against the run of play, and they've lost two starters in the first half hour.

How are we losing to these??

Maguire should never have allowed the ball to get to Dzeko. Shaw can't do anything other than foul Dzeko because he's behind him, but Maguire was goal side.

Don’t see subs being made at half time but they all need a boot up the backside it’s so pedestrian.

Give it 15 minutes if they haven’t livened up get Greenwood one for one of the midfielders and get Pogba in there.

This is damage limitation stuff now theres goals to be had against these they’re out of subs grind them down hopefully get a few goals back but we’ve made the away leg harder than it needs to be.

No more stupid mistakes come out and prove that you want to win trophies at Utd.

2-2

Cavani!

Beauty of a finish.

Get all over these lads now

Think it’s time to make the sub Rashford off Greenwood on not his night.

This ref is dreadful he’s given Smalling 3 fouls on Bruno before booking him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back