Euro 2020... 2021 big decisions this week

jsp

Top Poster Of Month

So they've confirmed 5 subs will be allowed per game
They will discuss potentially increasing the number of players in a squad from 23.
They need countries to confirm travel exemptions for referees
They may also insist on similar rules for media.
Countries to confirm to UEFA what size crowds they expect to be able to host.

Apparently this information needs to be with UEFA by Wednesday after that they will decide if any of the 12 current hosts need to be dropped due to Covid.

As it stands for a country to reach the semi final they will have to play in a minimum of 2 different nations.

I think at the time it kind of made sense this decision was made a decade ago when countries were all struggling off the back of the credit market crash now we've got a difference situation which makes it look even more ridiculous.

The problem is the tournament needs to happen it's really important for UEFA and therefore the smaller nations who will rely on the money that comes to them from these sort of events.

Does feel like it needs to be scaled back even possibly hosted in 1 country or maybe stretched out to the UK but that means organising that entire event in less that 3 months.

It does feel like it's going to be a disaster but it will 100% happen they'll play it on the moon if they have to.

Seen reports today that teams will be allowed to take 26 man squads rather than 23.

They also confirmed late last week that a few locations will be changed I noticed Dublin lost their games as they couldn't guarantee attendances.

The games in Bilbao have been moved to Seville.

Yep could solve a few headaches for Southgate.

Still think Greenwood is an outsider he let Southgate down in that first squad I'm not sure he'll be confident of putting him straight into a tournament squad.

He forgave Foden

He did but Foden paid him back with performances when he got recalled.

Greenwood hasn’t earned that recall yet.

I’d be surprised if he brings him back now but if he keeps playing well he’s got a chance.

Calvert-Lewin’s form has dropped off

I think Greenwood will sneak in now. Think DCL will get a spot despite a drop in form but Greenwood can occupy the right side and upfront so is attractive in that respect. Yes he had that indiscretion but hopefully Southgate bases it on football and who is in form.

It's a tricky one normally you pick two for every position when building your squad so assuming it's 4-3-3.

He's now got 7 sports for the front 3 and within that he's got to fit.

Grealish, Sancho, Sterling, Rashford, Foden, Greenwood, Saka, Lingard, Kane, DCL, Watkins, Ings.

So 5 of those 12 will miss out all those guys have been around the squad in the last year.

Now Foden could be taken as a midfield option as I'd have Mount down as a midfielder,

I think Watkins and Ings will both miss out he'll only take 2 proper centre forwards all the rest of the spots are up for grabs and Lingard's club form I think gives him a good chance.

He did but Foden paid him back with performances when he got recalled.

Greenwood hasn’t earned that recall yet.

I’d be surprised if he brings him back now but if he keeps playing well he’s got a chance.

Calvert-Lewin’s form has dropped off

Yes Foden did, but for some reason he's not given Greenwood the same chance.

I hope he doesn't go and gets some rest

Yes Foden did, but for some reason he's not given Greenwood the same chance.

I hope he doesn't go and gets some rest

Think it's purely down to form when the squads were picked since his incident Greenwood just wasn't in form so there wasn't really any reason to pick him whereas Foden was putting in match winning performances at City on a regular basis so he had to bring him back in.

Missing out could be the motivation he needs to make sure he doesn't miss the next one in Qatar if he genuinely cares about playing for England.

The extra spot gives him a chance of making the squad but I'm not sure Southgate would risk bringing him back in if they name a bigger squad to start with then drop a few before the tournament then he might stand a chance.

I think he would be stupid not too, beyond Kane, he's the best finisher we have. And he can play right.

But yeah, wait and see.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back