Ed Woodward's house attacked by United fans

Don't most top teams have a DOF nowadays? with or without one one's job is still results on the pitch my point is wouldn't one make is job a little easier by saying listen you tell us what you're looking for & I'll get to work on it, yes Woodward would still have to sign it off I just feel it would be an all round beneficial help for all concerned

I don’t think so it’s still not common in England it’s more of a foreign thing where you have sporting clubs like Barcelona or Real Madrid where they have different sports clubs playing under one banner. The clubs who have these setups tend to take control away from a manager you are just a coach you coach the players, set the tactics and pick the team but you don’t get to involved in buying and selling players. Your role becomes much more limited I don’t think Ole would want that and I don’t think Utd want to limit a manager in that way.

We are told that the recruitment team behind the scenes is much better now than it was 2 or 3 years ago when it was a mess there’s more of a process now. There’s a database of reports from all the scouts that can be filtered to generate shortlists for the manager and what he wants. The manager will then decide on who they should target and the club then go and look at if deals can be done contact the agent find out what the player thinks get an idea of selling price etc. I think the club has got much better at this but in the summer it is time to get serious the big tough expensive decisions have to be made to solve all the problems in the squad we can’t go into next season with the gaps we did this season.

I just think Utd need someone more connected to the football world on the board helping with decision making I honestly think with an experienced person involved in it we wouldn’t have rushed into the decision with Ole in the way we did.

I don’t think so it’s still not common in England it’s more of a foreign thing where you have sporting clubs like Barcelona or Real Madrid where they have different sports clubs playing under one banner. The clubs who have these setups tend to take control away from a manager you are just a coach you coach the players, set the tactics and pick the team but you don’t get to involved in buying and selling players. Your role becomes much more limited I don’t think Ole would want that and I don’t think Utd want to limit a manager in that way.

We are told that the recruitment team behind the scenes is much better now than it was 2 or 3 years ago when it was a mess there’s more of a process now. There’s a database of reports from all the scouts that can be filtered to generate shortlists for the manager and what he wants. The manager will then decide on who they should target and the club then go and look at if deals can be done contact the agent find out what the player thinks get an idea of selling price etc. I think the club has got much better at this but in the summer it is time to get serious the big tough expensive decisions have to be made to solve all the problems in the squad we can’t go into next season with the gaps we did this season.

I just think Utd need someone more connected to the football world on the board helping with decision making I honestly think with an experienced person involved in it we wouldn’t have rushed into the decision with Ole in the way we did.
Oh I see it was just when I hear Scholes, Neville, Ferdinand ect go on about one I'm a bit confused thought it was the norm .

Oh I see it was just when I hear Scholes, Neville, Ferdinand ect go on about one I'm a bit confused thought it was the norm .

I think the other clubs have put more of a structure in place behind the scenes that we have but they tend not to call them directors of football they're more like heads of recruitment or chief scouts.

Clubs certainly seem to have more of a committee approach to signing players these days because of manager turnover you can't really let a guy who might only be around for 1 or 2 years build his own team with his own people as these people will all be on 5 years. The idea is you decide what you want to be as a club you then buy players that fit that and hire coaches that fit that to the "philosophy" or "style" of how your team plays or what it is trying to be comes from the very top and then feeds down to every level.

Basically Fergie/Wenger were the last of the old style managers who did everything other clubs who didn't have people like this changed with the times but because we still had them we didn't need to so when these two men went the structure had to change. Arsenal having seen what happened at Utd got out in front of this and started to change before Wenger left they're still trying to find the right people to do the jobs but they have set it up. Utd just kind of hoped Woodward would do the job Fergie did they obviously got found out pretty quickly that wouldn't work because Fergie also had key people who worked with him leave at the same time and it's taken 5 years to put that in place which is where the criticism of Woodward has come in. He just hoped big name manager would solve the problem.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back