Ed Woodward resigns as chairman of Manchester United

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fantastic news let’s hope the owners follow him.

He had no choice as this thing collapsed he’s got to fall on his sword he could never be taken seriously by anyone dealing with Utd ever again.

Our brand and reputation is forever tainted by the behaviour of these scumbags and now they all need to go.

Not being reported anywhere, I keep refreshing with my champagne in hand

760676794b9edc4a378a03a1d8bf16e9.gif

I wonder how others such as SAF and Ole are presently feeling? You could bet your bottom dollar SAF would have been totally against such a move and I think it is highly unlikely Ole would have been in favour either.

Reports say he is due to leave at end of this year as previously agreed however the announcement has been brought forward.

Reports say he is due to leave at end of this year as previously agreed however the announcement has been brought forward.
Any old tripe to try and save face. High time the United fans matched up to the Chelsea fan efforts and got outside OT to demand he shifts his arse out the door pronto!

I wonder how others such as SAF and Ole are presently feeling? You could bet your bottom dollar SAF would have been totally against such a move and I think it is highly unlikely Ole would have been in favour either.

Fergie released a statement on Sunday saying he was against it and making clear he was not part of the decision making process.

Maguire apparently confronted Woodward over it during a team meeting on a Monday morning made it clear to Woodward that the players did not support this.

Woodward also claiming that he was always stepping down at the end of this season and the decision over signing up to this league was made by the owners. I smell Bull if you had any Stones Ed you would have resigned on Monday morning you were part of this plan you got caught and paid the price.

The best news ever, but they've got to really. Where can they go from here. Literally everyone hates them now, not just United fans

That one is just a rumour I personally can’t see it but they knew this was their one shot at this idea and it seems to have backfired on them they will never get what they want now.

Let’s hope the fans can keep the pressure on and chase all these owners out of town.

That includes Chelsea and City fans yes your clubs backed out first but only after they sold you out you should not forgive and forget that.

So, hang on. Ed was always planning on retiring from United at the end of 2021, yet he also signed up to be the executive vice-chairman of this unholy alliance? So either he was gonna quit that in 8 months as well, or the arrogant prick thought he’d quit us to run the Super League full time. That Karma really is an unpleasant woman.

That one is just a rumour I personally can’t see it but they knew this was their one shot at this idea and it seems to have backfired on them they will never get what they want now.

Let’s hope the fans can keep the pressure on and chase all these owners out of town.

That includes Chelsea and City fans yes your clubs backed out first but only after they sold you out you should not forgive and forget that.
Both MUFC and the scousers owned by Americans.If Boris J wants to do anything to protect the game, ban those yankee basturts from our game!

So, hang on. Ed was always planning on retiring from United at the end of 2021, yet he also signed up to be the executive vice-chairman of this unholy alliance? So either he was gonna quit that in 8 months as well, or the arrogant prick thought he’d quit us to run the Super League full time. That Karma really is an unpleasant woman.

Might be that was his proposed route out of the club he'd already moved his family back down south, resigned from all his roles within UEFA and may have been going into a full time role with the super league to get the whole thing off the ground. This thing was very unlikely to be starting next season anyway it was always going to take at least 12 months to get it off the ground.

In the corporate world directors have to serve very long notice periods to allow for handover periods so it wouldn't be unusual for someone at his level to serve a 6 month notice period if they resign.

I'm personally still not buying it Utd is a club full of leaks the moment there was a wiff he was going it would have been in the news they've released that statement now to offer him up as the sacrifice from the club and he's spun a right good tale about his time at Utd.

Might be that was his proposed route out of the club he'd already moved his family back down south, resigned from all his roles within UEFA and may have been going into a full time role with the super league to get the whole thing off the ground. This thing was very unlikely to be starting next season anyway it was always going to take at least 12 months to get it off the ground.

In the corporate world directors have to serve very long notice periods to allow for handover periods so it wouldn't be unusual for someone at his level to serve a 6 month notice period if they resign.

I'm personally still not buying it Utd is a club full of leaks the moment there was a wiff he was going it would have been in the news they've released that statement now to offer him up as the sacrifice from the club and he's spun a right good tale about his time at Utd.
So now their messenger has been shot, what's to follow?

So now their messenger has been shot, what's to follow?

Same as normal with them I reckon absolute radio silence from the Glazers and a new stooge will be put forward from their little stable of sh*ts.

Will the group of Ed's minions follow him out the door people like Matt Judge or will they now rise to power and take over?

If they had half a brain they'd be trying to poach one of the top execs out of other clubs who've been much better run than us over the last decade you know like proper businesses do when the top guy leaves they go for the best available person but with our owners if they are sticking around it'll be a crony.

I can't see them bringing in a totally new face could they try and get someone like Van Der Sar to come in now to run the club as that is the job he has at Ajax but he doesn't strike me as the sort of man who'd just be the patsy he'd want authority to make meaningful decisions.

At this point I don't really care the focus from fans from all clubs across England needs to be forcing these owners out of our game for good... easier said than done as we all know.

I actually think that's exactly what was planned. Don't forget, Ed came to the Glazers because of his work during the takeover while he was working at JP Morgan. The same JP Morgan who was fronting the 6bn for this Super League. Joel Glazer as a Vice-chairman, whose quotes were on the City website when they announced this. Either that's all a massive coincidence, or Ed and the Glazers were the chief architects behind this, and hopefully have the most to lose now that it's all gone to pot.

I actually think that's exactly what was planned. Don't forget, Ed came to the Glazers because of his work during the takeover while he was working at JP Morgan. The same JP Morgan who was fronting the 6bn for this Super League. Joel Glazer as a Vice-chairman, whose quotes were on the City website when they announced this. Either that's all a massive coincidence, or Ed and the Glazers were the chief architects behind this, and hopefully have the most to lose now that it's all gone to pot.

Think from the reporting it's pretty clear Madrid, Juventus, Liverpool and Man Utd were the key players they were the ones organising it and getting it off the ground.

Oh yeah I'm sure it was Ed that got JP Morgan involved in this.

I guess it all depends on what the terms were on backing out can you just walk away from the group or are their penalties to pay?

I don't know if this has been disclosed, but to whom are these clubs beholden? Who put up the 6bn and what was it secured against? Did they have TV deals in place? Sponsorship agreements? If these contracts were 117 pgs long, that legwork must've been in place already. Can't imagine the PR disaster awaiting those media companies when it comes out they were in bed with these clubs.

I don't know if this has been disclosed, but to whom are these clubs beholden? Who put up the 6bn and what was it secured against? Did they have TV deals in place? Sponsorship agreements? If these contracts were 117 pgs long, that legwork must've been in place already. Can't imagine the PR disaster awaiting those media companies when it comes out they were in bed with these clubs.

JP Morgan were prepared to back it based on future income from broadcast deals. They were basically going to provide some start up cash once it was up and running which would be paid back over a period of years so they won't have actually given out any money yet.

Nothing was in place by the sound of it I don't expect they planned to start this competition until the 23/24 season so they had a few years to get everything together as all the big broadcasters will be tied into the existing Champions League TV contracts which still have a few years to run.

Sky/BT/Amazon have already put out statements saying they had absolutely no knowledge of the proposed super league and had not been approached to be part of it.

If JP Morgan were backing this on spec, then all the talk of hundreds of millions in fines and payments needed for these clubs to get out of this agreement is probably rubbish. Unless there was specific language around fines payable to the remaining members, there isn't anybody who will need to be made whole as a result of a club leaving. JP Morgan will be paid some hefty consultancy fees I'm sure, but that won't cost each club 100m.

Total wild speculation on my part, but I wonder if the Saudis weren't involved in some way. They've been rebuffed by Newcastle/FA/PL and want their piece of the action. Maybe this was somehow owning this Super League, creating their own broadcast company which had world wide rights or buying a member club. Not sure how City would feel about that, but I can't see SA sitting on the sidelines much longer.

These clubs have no shame they’d have taken this show anywhere if the money was right.

I doubt it has cost much to back out.

In similar news, Florentino Perez doesn't want a team of galácticos, Andrea Agnelli doesn't want to fix competitions so his team wins every year, and water is in fact not wet.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back