Does Mourinho want out of United?

I also think people forget just how bad the football was under LVG. We're undoubtedly playing better football under Mourinho.

I don't think we are undoubtedly playing better football at all. Dull is dull. The football we play is dull, the football we played under LVG was dull.

I'm not even sure I can be arsed wasting my Friday night and a moan from the mrs to watch this first game. I can just imaging what we will be served up

I'm not even sure I can be arsed wasting my Friday night and a moan from the mrs to watch this first game. I can just imaging what we will be served up

Haha yeah it's funny isn't it... Years gone by I'd have argued the toss with the Mrs and accepted the moaning but these days I'm not sure I can be bothered really.

you know we'll still end up watching it haha

I can actually say... No I won't actually watch it bud. I'm sorry to say I don't tend to watch many football games these days. And given my main sport starts in a few weeks I'm saving all the hassle from the Mrs for that! :)

I don't think we are undoubtedly playing better football at all. Dull is dull. The football we play is dull, the football we played under LVG was dull.

Go and rewatch some of our games under LVG this stuff is no where near as bad.

Also it’s 90 mins I’ll definitely be watching Friday. Then again my missus favourite sport to watch and play is football so no aggro there. Though she is an arsenal fan. So that negative to it!

LVG's days were dire but IMO I don't think we've been far off it at times. I gauge how bad we play by the strops I throw during and after a game. My missus has told me I need to stop watching Utd as it stresses her and the dog out way too much. Maybe that gives you a good idea how bad we were at times last season. Sevilla, West Brom, Newcastle, Liverpool away to name a few. If LVG was in charge of those games nobody would have known the difference.

Go and rewatch some of our games under LVG this stuff is no where near as bad.

Sorry bud don't agree. The football under LVG was awful. The football under Jose is dire. There's really no difference to me. We lack attacking threat, we can't break teams down, we don't attack or play with pace and we don't create many chances. It's dull. It's boring.

I don't think the difference is massive under LVG we struggled to break teams down and create chances under Mourinho it's often the same thing. I think the style is maybe a bit more entertaining because Mourinho doesn't try to suffocate with possession but going forward we still don't look dangerous be it by dominating possession or trying counter attacks. We don't develop attacks in wide areas to get in behind and cut the ball back for tap ins, we don't put in good quality crosses for our attackers to finish off, we don't really threaten teams in behind, we still move the ball to slowly.

While I think LVG football was football played robotically sticking rigidly to a plan trying to create the perfect goal scoring chance every time Mourinho style for me is to free form for the players we have we don't have a world class creative attacking player who makes 4 or 5 goal scoring chances for himself or others every game. Sanchez could be that guy if he can find the sort of form he showed at Arsenal but so far he hasn't looked like that guy he's looked a yard slower than he was meaning he can't quite create the openings he could but a summer of proper rest might bring that.

We need a huge season from Sanchez this year he's got to be that Robben, Schniejder, Ronaldo, Hazard guy that a good Mourinho team needs to shine someone who constantly asks questions of the oppositions defence and terrifies them.

Statistically we created over 100 more chances in a Mourinhos first season than we did the season before. I’ve not seen the stats for last season but that’s a massive improvement however you paint it

It isn't as bad under Jose in terms of attempts on goal. I remember games where we had a shot under lvg that trickled nearer the corner flag and everybody stood up cheering. That said our ability to break teams down under Jose is dismal

Whether or not the football is better or worse, at the end of the day its crap and unentertaining and anyone who thinks different is blind. We all know that the football needs to improve and even the most ardent Jose supporters will agree with that. But how can it?

We have a right footed left back who can only cross with his right foot and can't defend very well. Keystone cops pretending to be defenders, a rb who gets a nosebleed every time he crosses the half way line and thinks a cross is to drill the ball as hard and low as he can. We have a world class midfielder who blows hot and cold, a dm who played injured most of last season and is a slow as a battleship, a giraffe with an afro thats only attributes are brilliant chest control and fouling that the gaffer begged to stay after his contract ran out, a rf who earns more money per week than third world countries do in a year that looked like a League 1 player for most of the games he played for us, a brilliant forward that gets no service, a decent left winger who gets one game and is dropped for being inconsistent and a whole host of players that shouldn't be playing rf who shouldn't be. Oh and a manager who never accepts responsibility for anything and is as miserable as sin! Hope i haven't missed much. Ohhhh, we have a good keeper too. Can't wait for the season to start hahaha

Statistically we created over 100 more chances in a Mourinhos first season than we did the season before. I’ve not seen the stats for last season but that’s a massive improvement however you paint it

I mean to see a comparison I think you'd have to look at the 2 seasons under LVG compared to the 2 seasons under Mourinho and you'd want to compare a number of stats as statistical analysis requires multiple stats to be compared at one not just one. Goals scored, Chances Created, Big Chances Created & Expected Goals would probably be the ones I looked at.

Second Season under LVG was so bad because we'd binned off all our strikers/wingers by that point Welbeck, Hernandez, RVP, Falcao, Di Maria, Nani were all gone, Rooney was in major decline at this point and Depay had been a major flop, Valencia had been converted to a right back, Young wasn't around and Mata was the only real creative attacking midfielder. Now despite what a lot of people think I think most of those players had to go as there time at Utd was done but we didn't replace them at all under LVG he was let down massively by the club who wasted ages trying to sign players like Muller or Ramos rather than getting what we needed. Woodward was definitely pulling the strings under LVG more than he is under Mourinho when it comes to player selection as LVG was a coach not a manager.

Mourinho got a huge boost because in his first summer the club was able to sign Pogba/Zlatan/Mkhitaryan and I'd say the pull of Mourinho was the reason we got Zlatan I think the other 2 would've come regardless. He's then been able to add Lukaku & Sanchez attacking talent wise he's been able to call on a much more talented group of players than LVG ever had.

Pogba/Zlatan alone will boost your shot count because they attempt a lot of long range efforts in games and therefore create a lot of chances which can skew a teams stats as banging one in hope from 25/30 yards isn't really creating a chance.

I imagine the number of shots from outside the box under Mourinho is a lot higher than it was under LVG as he would tell the team to just keep passing, passing, passing rather than shoot.

Pogba in his first season was shooting from everywhere, quite embarrassing for him though 99% of them ended up in row Z. He needs to shoot more as he has it in his locker!

Dunno about shocking seem to recall him hitting the woodwork from distance quite a bit in that first season.

Needs to work on his heading though, if it was up to me I'd have him taking the set pieces as his delivery is class rather than trying to get on the end of them as he is not very accurate with his heading.

Think he hit the bar and crossbar 2 or 3 times but most of his shots from open play came down with snow on.

100? Dude that's less than 3 a game of that's just league stats. If not then it's even worse than 3 a game. That's not a huge improvement at all. I mean christ we signed Pogba that first year and he takes shots from anywhere so that's probably the extra each game.

Shots from long range don't count as chances created. So that debunks that Myth. Also 3 extra oppertunities per game when the chances created stat under LVG was 5.3 you're looking at a massive jump (11.2 for shots per game). Under LVG in 15/16 we were 10th for shots and SEVENTINTH for chances created. We scored 34 goals from open play. Sunderland outscored us!

Premier League Team Statistics | WhoScored.com

Who Scoreds ranking for attacking play based on stats. We rank 10th under LVG. 6th under Mourinho 1st season. 3rd last season. Things statistically are moving in the right direction I hhave certainly seen a massive improvement even if others refuse to. I can't physically make you go back and watch an LVG game but I can at least show the stats agree with my perception that our style of play and attacking football has definitely improved.

Whether or not the football is better or worse, at the end of the day its crap and unentertaining and anyone who thinks different is blind. We all know that the football needs to improve and even the most ardent Jose supporters will agree with that. But how can it?

We have a right footed left back who can only cross with his right foot and can't defend very well. Keystone cops pretending to be defenders, a rb who gets a nosebleed every time he crosses the half way line and thinks a cross is to drill the ball as hard and low as he can. We have a world class midfielder who blows hot and cold, a dm who played injured most of last season and is a slow as a battleship, a giraffe with an afro thats only attributes are brilliant chest control and fouling that the gaffer begged to stay after his contract ran out, a rf who earns more money per week than third world countries do in a year that looked like a League 1 player for most of the games he played for us, a brilliant forward that gets no service, a decent left winger who gets one game and is dropped for being inconsistent and a whole host of players that shouldn't be playing rf who shouldn't be. Oh and a manager who never accepts responsibility for anything and is as miserable as sin! Hope i haven't missed much. Ohhhh, we have a good keeper too. Can't wait for the season to start hahaha

I don't agree with all of it but that's an excellent post gave me a good laugh in the office. And i'm not saying the football is wonderful i'm saying it's better than it was under LVG. Course there is still room for improvement but we were starting from such a bad position.

Shots from long range don't count as chances created. So that debunks that Myth. Also 3 extra oppertunities per game when the chances created stat under LVG was 5.3 you're looking at a massive jump (11.2 for shots per game). Under LVG in 15/16 we were 10th for shots and SEVENTINTH for chances created. We scored 34 goals from open play. Sunderland outscored us!

Premier League Team Statistics | WhoScored.com

Who Scoreds ranking for attacking play based on stats. We rank 10th under LVG. 6th under Mourinho 1st season. 3rd last season. Things statistically are moving in the right direction I hhave certainly seen a massive improvement even if others refuse to. I can't physically make you go back and watch an LVG game but I can at least show the stats agree with my perception that our style of play and attacking football has definitely improved.

Prefer to think of it as a theory not myth not sure anyone takes the nonsense I spout as fact... I mean I have a theory that you've got a soft spot for Mourinho because you're actually a Chelsea fan :p Ha!

Like I said if we are comparing stats I want to see a range of stats not just one as your stat measure quantity not quality but I don't deny we were absolute turd under LVG especially in that final season because an absolute abortion of a squad had been constructed over 3 years by the management. I'd also include the final 5 seasons under Fergie as a bench mark to see how things have changed over a 10 years period.

Let's not benchmark against the worst performing season in 25 years as even the last 2 seasons compared to the standards that were set by Ferguson over 2 decades wasn't good enough.

I'm slightly surprised at our performance from year 1 under Jose to year 2 but that could be because of the fantastic start to the season and the fact we actually scored goals last season rather than missing loads of chances which was a huge problem in year 1.

Reality is far to often I find myself zoning out watching Utd they very rarely get me on the edge of my seat and even more rarely do they keep me on it by sustaining pressure where you feel a goals coming here.

Bottom line... Regardless of stats the football is dull and boring. It was boring under LVG, it was boring in Jose's first season and it was dull last year. And for the most part throughout his career his teams have not been great to watch.

Now you can defend Jose in terms of results and trophies. And I can't argue that ultimately he does get success.

What I can argue, because it's opinion, is that the football we play bores me. It has done for a long time and it will continue to whilst Jose is still our manager. And that is not going to change because his style isn't going to change.

Time will tell if he means it but Mourinho's comments today much better than the doom and gloom of pre-season. Come on Jose prove the world wrong.

Rubbish! We have very good players. It's him who can't get the best out of them.

I think our fans rate some of our players higher than they actually are because we want to believe in them and back them but I agree he’s talking nonsense if he’s seriously trying to suggest the teams outside the big 6 are just as strong as his side.

Leicester are probably amongst the better sides but he’s basically saying don’t expect us to batter the mid table teams because we aren’t that much better than them which I tend to agree with but I think playing more on the front foot would help us.

As someone said recently, perhaps Mourinho's negativity has been a card he's playing to make everything seem bad from an external perspective - with press etc doubting us... While internally everything is fine and he's saying to the players 'look at what they are saying about us'.. Creating a siege mentality. He has been known for doing it in the past, although the other argument is that he has also been known to lose the plot, so who knows!

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back