David De Gea | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't need to worry about Henderson going anywhere he signed a new 6 year contract in the summer. (5 +1 option)

Ronald Woodward McDonald would have more sense than to shaft us both in terms of wages per week and also longer term if we need to get rid of that player.
I get impression that The Equaliser actually thinks that showing that we are overpaying is a statement symbol.

The rest of the time I think it is panic.

I get impression that The Equaliser actually thinks that showing that we are overpaying is a statement symbol.

The rest of the time I think it is panic.

Signing players to big new contracts remains cheaper than selling and buying a suitable replacement.

Jones and Mata are good examples of that paying them 6-7m a year for 3 years is cheaper than letting them leave for nothing and buying a replacement for 30m on similar wages.

The De Gea one is slightly different but twice he’s ran his deal down and used that situation to pressurise the club into over paying. You end up renewing deals on wages that would normally be for players you are signing for free.

Man Utd 1 - 2 Sheff Utd 27th Jan 2021

Clearly fouled on the first goal at the set piece I think he needs to be much more aggressive towards refs when this contact happens make them think they've made a mistake.

By just sort of accepting it and not reacting you are giving the message it isn't a problem.

Some might call it cheating but putting a bit of pressure on a ref to give a decision your way is part of the game and this reminded me a bit of a goal I think vs Everton where he was clattered and the ref gave nothing. There's this image of him being weak which means he doesn't get fouls given when they should.

It's a bit like a striker going down to make the ref realise the contact is there. If he's not going to make the ball he's got to exaggerate the contact and make sure the ref notices it.

However the goal should stand. For me both goals should stand. I think it was Burnley that has one disallowed Vs Leeds for a weak bit of goalkeeping. It just needs the consistency with it. You either decide you can challenge the keeper and they've got to be stronger or you can't. But it can't be inconsistent.

I think by the rules 100% it's a foul by Sharp on De Gea. The keeper is in the air jumping for a punch and gets hit in the ribs by a player who's barged into him for me that one is nailed on. If De Gea just screams at the ref and gets in his face about it then VAR over turns that or makes him look to the monitor and check he might still give it but you've got to make sure the ref knows you've been hit.

The other one is a bit more subjective as Maguire is playing the ball and Ramsdale comes over the top of Maguire to catch but fumbles it but again generally speaking the keeper gets a foul 99 times out of a 100 in that scenario.

The unwritten rules on keepers used to be if the keeper is in the air and you jump into him it will always be a foul if he jumps into you then it's not.

The search continues for a keeper who will dominate his own penalty area and marshall his defence. He has not progressed from being a superb shotstopper.

The search continues for a keeper who will dominate his own penalty area and marshall his defence. He has not progressed from being a superb shotstopper.

I think he's actually got worse on crosses over the last few years it's in his head now in his prime years he was very rarely beaten when he came off his line for a cross now he's not fully committing.

He's just not been the same player since that 2018 world cup and while he's playing ok at the moment it does feel like Henderson is slowly starting to crank up the pressure on him.

If the club could sell him in the summer they probably would but there's just not much of a market for him given his form and his wages we're kind of stuck with him.

Man Utd 3-3 Everton

first goal was poor third goal wasn’t brave either but if Henderson plays well mid week for me De Gea drops to number 2.

He’s just not doing enough and he’s gifting goals.

Awful awful goalkeeping for the second goal especially. The goalkeeper has to be brave in that instance, if he gives it everything he smothers that ball. Awful.

Awful awful goalkeeping for the second goal especially. The goalkeeper has to be brave in that instance, if he gives it everything he smothers that ball. Awful.

Seeing the replay on that final goal I don’t think he’s got any chance.

First goal is miles worse you never do that

Seeing the replay on that final goal I don’t think he’s got any chance. First goal is miles worse you never do that
Being a touch kind there, if he anticipates quicker then he smothers that for me, sure DCL could have still poked it in but he made very little effort to come out and block it. It was very half hearted.

First goal was very poor as well. Such a bad night for him.

I do not agree there. A braver goalkeeper would have taken everything out. He made himself as small as he could and jumped out of the way.

I’ll watch it again but it was not a howler in my eyes.

Even if it was just the first goal tonight it’s time for Henderson to get a chance.

I’ll watch it again but it was not a howler in my eyes.

Even if it was just the first goal tonight it’s time for Henderson to get a chance.
On the flip side of that when Henderson has had a chance he’s looked a bag of nerves at times. He may need time to find his feet but right now I’m not that confident with either of them. But I would like to think if Henderson was playing not sure we would be drawing that game. He’s definitely a little braver as a keeper but easy to say in hindsight.

Just said in another thread perhaps it's time for Henderson after that performance but Henderson has been poor when coming in.

The thing is De Gea is going nowhere because of his contract and Henderson hasn't looked good at all when he's coming in.

Donnarumma is available on a free this summer. At this point I think I'd go and get him.

The thing is De Gea is going nowhere because of his contract and Henderson hasn't looked good at all when he's coming in.

Donnarumma is available on a free this summer. At this point I think I'd go and get him.

Take one guess who his agent is???

For me if Henderson doesn’t balls up midweek he’s number 1 in the league and gets a run of games.

I’d hope that if De Gea got dropped he’d do the noble thing and move on not really sure who would want him now he’s nowhere near the keeper he was between 2013-18.

Yeah you'd have to do a deal with the devil.

Everton had 3 shots on target today.

Can’t afford another keeper on silly wages unless we sold De Gea and Henderson in one summer. How likely is that?

De Gea needed Henderson to take his spot a good game vs West Ham I think he takes it. Henderson had a dodgy game vs Sheff Utd a while back but can’t think of any mistakes other than that one?

I think it’s now the point where goalkeeper has become a problem that De Gea just isn’t the answer to.

Is Henderson the answer that is to be confirmed but I think it was time he was given more of a chance.

It's a worry that neither look good enough. Donnarumma on a free should be looked at.

I definitely think Henderson needs to be looked at in the second half of the season because if he is not good enough either we need to buy someone. We dont want to be half way through next season to find out.

Everton had three shots on target on the night and every single one of them beat De Gea.

Yep he's got no chance with the second goal but the first goal he's palmed it to the striker for a tap in and for the third he maybe could have made the strikers job harder but with that amount of time it's very unlikely he misses.

There was also another one with Digne where he left it and the ball clipped the post it was either 100% nailed on assessment of the angle of the shot or a massive get out of jail free card.

With De Gea now he's costing us more points than he's winning us from 2013-18 he was saving our backside nearly every week making great saves he no longer makes those saves and he's making a lot more mistakes that cost goals.

At the start of the season I felt he deserved to start as the number 1 now we're half way I think it's time to make the change and give Henderson a chance.

can't remender, does Henderson play the FA cup games?

He plays well on Tuesday he's got to keep his place surely.

Yeah I think Henderson has played most of the cup games so far pretty sure he was in goal for Liverpool in the last round.

I'm the same he should be nailed on to start vs West Ham even before the other night unless he drops an absolute clanger he should get the league games going forward for the next 10 and De Gea gets the cups.

West Brom 1-1 Man Utd

match saving save at 1-1 may not have counted due to the foul in the build up but bailed out his skipper not once but twice to deny the striker.

5 of the last 8 shots he's faced inside the box have resulted in goals.....according to a red top.

Wouldn't be surprising a stat. Everton had 3 on target all game.

Sort of a meaningless stat unless you review each goal and say he should have saved that.

Of the recent goals should he have saved any of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back