Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massimo Mauro: “Ronaldo has never been a leader where he has played and he never will be.
"He is like a company and his turnover is more important to him than the success of the team.
"Cristiano doesn't drag his team-mates along with him, he always wants them to give him the ball to score goals. He is a great individualist, he is not a team player.”

What a load of twaddle.

Steps up and delivers on all the biggest stages and carries his teams to victories with his goals.

Massimo Mauro: “Ronaldo has never been a leader where he has played and he never will be.
"He is like a company and his turnover is more important to him than the success of the team.
"Cristiano doesn't drag his team-mates along with him, he always wants them to give him the ball to score goals. He is a great individualist, he is not a team player.”
Anyone with half a brain knows that's not true. Why do people spout such obvious rubbish?

Anyone with half a brain knows that's not true. Why do people spout such obvious rubbish?

Guessing it’s a tactic to try and force him out of Juventus. Just looked up who he is ex footballer turned politician turned sky Italy pundit so he’s clearly a man who likes the sound of his own voice.

Juventus have flopped this season and they’re blaming the guy who’s scored all the goals which seems totally normal.

Ronaldo does create some issues from a team point of view he isn’t going to run channels and be that sort of striker but he’s going to get you a lot of goals. To me it looks like there’s other players not stepping up and doing their bit leaving everything to Ronaldo.

When you see a Juve starting XI on paper now it’s a pretty average looking side they’ve done a bad job of rebuilding over the last few years. Targeted older players on free transfers but paid them silly wages so they never want to leave.

I don't think it's complete garbage,

He has scored a lot of goals, and therefore won a lot of things. But it is all about him. He wants the personal glory, so the team glory would naturally follow.
But he is no leader, he berates his team mates far too much for not passing to him etc. All those free kicks he's taken for the odd goal, when you've got Kroos and Modric.

Not saying it's a bad thing. It's just his thing. Maybe now he's older, it's becoming more obvious with less movement and pace? Not seen enough of him at Juve really.

Actually just watched a Ryan Giggs video on BT Sport about the 2008 final. He was asked if Ronaldo was quiet and went about his own business. He said no its the opposite he was one of the leaders that set an example, the ultimate professional he's ever seen and a joker of the dressing room.

If Ryan Giggs calls the guy a leader that's enough for me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The video in case anyone wants to watch it too.

Can't see the video. But I take your word for it, and more importantly, Giggsy.

Definitley something going on with the Italian press/pundits

Luca Toni: “I’m not impressed by his [Ronaldo’s] attitude towards the group. Regardless of whether it was a coincidence or not, you do not throw the shirt. A great champion has to lead by example.”

I don't think it's complete garbage,

He has scored a lot of goals, and therefore won a lot of things. But it is all about him. He wants the personal glory, so the team glory would naturally follow.
But he is no leader, he berates his team mates far too much for not passing to him etc. All those free kicks he's taken for the odd goal, when you've got Kroos and Modric.

Not saying it's a bad thing. It's just his thing. Maybe now he's older, it's becoming more obvious with less movement and pace? Not seen enough of him at Juve really.
All the true greats have this 'selfish ambition,' it's what drives them to that elite level when the other talented players settle for very good. United and Madrid got worse after he left so I wouldn't say he's stat padding to the detriment of the team, but like you say, maybe time has caught up to him and Juve will be different, but I doubt it.

Definitley something going on with the Italian press/pundits

Luca Toni: “I’m not impressed by his [Ronaldo’s] attitude towards the group. Regardless of whether it was a coincidence or not, you do not throw the shirt. A great champion has to lead by example.”
Seems like they are laying the groundwork for his exit.

Ronaldo almost single-handedly won us a title in his last season at United - and pretty much did before leaving Madrid

Ronaldo almost single-handedly won us a title in his last season at United - and pretty much did before leaving Madrid

Absolute nonsense mate.

Those title wins were as much a result of our brilliant defence at the time as they were about Ronaldo.

Absolute nonsense mate.

Those title wins were as much a result of our brilliant defence at the time as they were about Ronaldo.
you have to score goals to win games... he got 18 league goals that season - maybe you should check how many of those were the first in games or won the game. he was the top scorer despite being injured early in the season. not sure how that is "nonsense" although I agree that the defence was very good

you have to score goals to win games... he got 18 league goals that season - maybe you should check how many of those were the first in games or won the game. he was the top scorer despite being injured early in the season. not sure how that is "nonsense" although I agree that the defence was very good

Teams win titles not individuals.

Yes Ronaldo provided the attacking edge in a lot of the games but there was big spells in a lot of those games where the defence held strong to keep the opponent out.

He played more games in 2008-09 than 2007-08

Oh, here we go again. If he want's to come home, then come home. If he wants to get another payday then go elsewhere.

If he's available for the right price then United should absolutely pull the trigger. He'd make a massive difference to the United team no doubt even at 37.

if we pull this deal off, it will be the final nail in the coffin rammed in by the Glazers, just to prove commercial comes before football.

For nostalgic reasons it would be amazing to see Ronaldo grace the OT turf again. I wouldn’t be totally against it as he could come in for a season and lead us to trophies - he’s still that good. He would also be invaluable for the younger guys in the squad and would no doubt improve the likes of Greenwood, Rashford etc.

So I’ve decided I’m all for it.

I don't think watching a player strop because he's subbed or not picked is good for anyone.

Reports are that we've offered him a 2 year deal. £330k a week contract.

Bad deal for Ronaldo unless Juventus pay him off as he’s due to earn that in 1 season at Juve.

Just not buying us trying to bring him back.

One of them was a pen, you telling Bruno he's off pens? Granted the third goal was nice

Ronaldo was fairly anonymous yesterday... and still scored twice. Not bad for an old man!

It is what he is now the days of the flying winger are long gone he's just a penalty box poacher now get him the ball close to goal and let him bang in the goals.

There's some mad stat for Portugal since turning 30 he's scording something like 50 goals in 50 games.

One of them was a pen, you telling Bruno he's off pens? Granted the third goal was nice
Fair enough about the pen, but he still scored 26 non-penalty goals for Juve this season (36 in total in all comps.) For comparisons, Bruno was our top scorer with 28 including pens.

I thinking signing Ronaldo causes more problems than it solves, not only the who takes pens issue.

To have him, as JSP pointed out, he's not as mobile as he once was, so the team needs to be focused around him, he's probably got 1 season left in him, do we want to do that. For me it's a step backwards. I don't see the benefit in spending money there.

For the record, as I don't think you were here then, I said the same about Cavani :cool:

TBH, I probably like the idea of Ronaldo better than the realities of Ronaldo, but 26 non-penalty goals at whatever age is nothing to sniff at. Also, I'd be wary of spending significant money that we should be allocating elsewhere, but a penalty area poacher who guarantees goals is something we don't have an abundance of (barring the aforementioned Cavani ;).)

If he avoids a serious injury Ronaldo could keep going at this pace until he’s 40 still plenty of life in him he’s adapted his game massively to become more of a scorer and less of a creator.

He’d offer a lot to this Utd side but having renewed Cavani I’m not sure they could keep Ronaldo and Cavani happy as both will expect to play a lot of games and it would be hard to play both of them together in the same side.

I don't see Ronald returning to United. I'm sure he likes the idea, I'm sure United like the idea. But the cost would be too great. And whilst he would no doubt improve United he doesn't play a position of desperate need that warrants that sort of financial outlay.

Given we are highly unlikely to get either Kane or Halaand, we should pour everything (once Sancho joins) into persuading Ronaldo to come home: he guarantees you goals - very important ones more often than not

Given we are highly unlikely to get either Kane or Halaand, we should pour everything (once Sancho joins) into persuading Ronaldo to come home: he guarantees you goals - very important ones more often than not

Could you play him and Cavani together?

Given we'd be paying them abour £750k a week between them surely they both need to be in the side most games?

I think Cavani is the short term fix we don't need another one had Cavani decided to leave then I'd probably be more open to Ronaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back