Coronavirus

Well that doesnt reflect my experience. I think the pubs and restaurants themselves were well disciplined from day one of reopening and remain so. It is people who have got blasé and ill disciplined with time not the businesses themselves!
Are you telling me all the reports with video evidence of large gatherings of people pissed up in city centre locations etc are false reports, and if not, are you really of the opinion these gatherings will not be having a significant impact on the spread of the virus? Give over.

Lets get it from the horses mouth. Opinion from @Ben Townsend

I certainly had mixed experiences at the start restaurants were very good but they were setup for it, pubs were mixed some embraced the new rules and took it seriously others did the absolute minimum. Not digging out pubs they were desperate for the income months of lost trade, stock washed down the drains then being asked to shell out for PPE and extra staff wasn’t easy. Where I saw it being slack was the beer gardens big groups forming in outdoor areas and pubs not really being able to control it.

The big gatherings on streets are obviously a problem but again a lack of enforceable rules at the start helped fuel that a bit of youthful rebellion some might call it. Wasn’t helped when every town centre was shutting doors and kicking out at the exact same time. Isn’t helped when you have days to gear up to a closure these measures should be immediate don’t all people to get one last session in if you want maximum impact. Pubs will no doubt be rammed Wednesday night as pubs try to get the punters to drink the bar dry and clear the cellar because they know 4 weeks will become 6 weeks then 8 weeks.

I just came back from walking the dog no joke this morning must have been 20 adults/kids gathered in one park play area. It shows people have got no respect for the rules. These adults were clearly all 30s/40s all with kids running around playing together a perfectly normal Sunday morning thing to see 12 months ago but to me it looked like one last blow out.

Where I saw it being slack was the beer gardens big groups forming in outdoor areas and pubs not really being able to control it.

I just came back from walking the dog no joke this morning must have been 20 adults/kids gathered in one park play area. It shows people have got no respect for the rules. These adults were clearly all 30s/40s all with kids running around playing together a perfectly normal Sunday morning thing to see 12 months ago but to me it looked like one last blow out.
Exactly what I have been saying for some time but strongly refuted by some. People themselves and their behaviour are the biggest problems we have in getting this under control. Far too easy to keep popping at the government simply because you dont happen to like the party that are running the country.
The people who are running the businesses have limited powers of enforcement and there is plenty of evidence of idiots resorting to violence if challenged on their behaviour.
The strongest argument there is for keeping the schools open is that the country has enough idiots in place as it is.

Exactly what I have been saying for some time but strongly refuted by some. People themselves and their behaviour are the biggest problems we have in getting this under control. Far too easy to keep popping at the government simply because you dont happen to like the party that are running the country.
The people who are running the businesses have limited powers of enforcement and there is plenty of evidence of idiots resorting to violence if challenged on their behaviour.
The strongest argument there is for keeping the schools open is that the country has enough idiots in place as it is.

Compliance is key but that is where government has failed they didn’t treat Covid seriously from the start it put out an image that this wasn’t serious and some just can’t shake that attitude off.

They gave authorities no serious powers to enforce the rules during the first lockdown.

Apart from the furlough scheme it’s pretty hard to defend anything they’ve done in response to Covid it’s been a mess.

Compliance is key but that is where government has failed they didn’t treat Covid seriously from the start it put out an image that this wasn’t serious and some just can’t shake that attitude off.

They gave authorities no serious powers to enforce the rules during the first lockdown.

Apart from the furlough scheme it’s pretty hard to defend anything they’ve done in response to Covid it’s been a mess.
As I have said many times before, people are expendable in these circumstances. It is not the governments aim to save me, you, any individual or demographic group. It only aims to keep it manageable and balance that with trying to maintain some economic wealth in the country.
That goes for all governments. Therefore, it is for the people to acknowledge this and play their part in looking after themselves and others around them. There is no getting away from that and too many of this countries people are letting the side down.

I would have thought it is the first job of government to keep their citizens safe. A large part is for individuals to do their bit but if they dont then surely the government needs to give powers to the police to enforce it.

It seemed so obvious to do it during half term for minimum effect on kids. However I don't really see much point in a lockdown if it doesn't include schools and universities
The government are rejecting calls from Mayors to reconsider and shut schools, that's a mistake in my opinion. You cant tell me that decision is made in the interest of protecting citizens

I'm torn on schools, my eldest is doing her Bac, I think home schooling would seriously affect her.

The you have to think about houses with multiple students but maybe only one laptop.

Shutting schools will be the most impactful way to stop the virus spreading as schools spread the virus that's just a fact we've had 30 cases in our local secondary school before the last half term which means there are currently 300 kids and 5 teachers in isolation.

However, shutting schools is the most damaging thing we can do as a society as kids need to be at school especially the youngest kids primary and middle school kids need to be in school they learn much slower at home. You could maybe make a case that sort of 14 year olds and up could be trusted to stay home and do online classes but even then it's a lower quality education as not all kids can learn this way.

We also have to make sure the kids studying from home have an environment where they can do it and also equipment to do it no use saying to kids do it online when kids don't have access to IT equipment, don't have access to decent WiFi, both parents are working from home etc.

That's why I don't really have a massive problem with everything else shutting down if everything else closing keeps the schools open then so be it as long as there's financial support to these businesses and their staff who have to take the brunt of the measures. As they rightfully point out the evidence suggests they aren't the ones spreading the virus yet they're the ones getting shutdown.

Do folk really think hospitality businesses will be reopened just in time for silly season! I doubt it very much, and I hope not.

Herd immunity is off the table.
That it was ever a consideration shows how badly this horror has been handled.
Some say Johnson is wrong man, wrong time.
Should be wrong man, anytime.

Do folk really think hospitality businesses will be reopened just in time for silly season! I doubt it very much, and I hope not.

If we can't afford to extend Furlough through winter then they will have to allow them to open Boris has been pretty clear that this shutdown will end in 4 weeks. After that we might see everyone go back into tier 2 or 3 restrictions for a few weeks before anyone is dropped back to tier 1.

If a month of everything being shut doesn't drive the numbers down then it's pretty clear that the plan doesn't work and they may have to consider more extreme measures like closing schools. My guess is the contingency is the 2 week Xmas holiday if restrictions stay in place through December my guess is two weeks of no kids in schools at end of December will be enough to really drive it down. That obviously means no households being allowed to mix for Christmas which would really damage morale amongst the public in terms of dealing with this I think that community spirit we saw early on with all this is fading fast anyway.

The rules are in place now for hospitality so these places are safe especially now everyone is forced inside there's no more big groups in beer gardens everyone will be sat at a table in their small groups.

I know people don't like to see leisure things shut but I think it was the only real option they had in the end because the economic damage of shutting down construction/manufacturing is huge and the impact of shutting schools is incredibly damaging for longer term reasons.

I was chatting to someone yesterday, whose son works for a government dept involved with Covid. They are working on the lockdown extending way into December, if not all of it.

Very positive news about a vaccine today, Pfizer and BioNTech phase 3 trials has found to be 90% effective in preventing people from getting the virus. There are still hurdles to get over in getting approval and also I guess there will be further phases to make sure this is secure.

Also it needs to be stored at -80 degrees so there are challenges but this is good news! And damn we need some!

Very positive news about a vaccine today, Pfizer and BioNTech phase 3 trials has found to be 90% effective in preventing people from getting the virus. There are still hurdles to get over in getting approval and also I guess there will be further phases to make sure this is secure.

Also it needs to be stored at -80 degrees so there are challenges but this is good news! And damn we need some!

Was just in the middle of writing this you beat me to the punch.

A vaccine would be a huge boost for everyone potentially seeing some light at the end of the tunnel even if it might take a long time to roll out.

There have been strong hints for a while that we will have a vaccine rolled out by the summer. That sounds realistic given the testing and licensing requirements.
Gives everyone a boost and a realistic timescale for when we may get back to something approaching normal.

UPDATE: Oh, being report on the news they are trying to push it for the end of the year.

Missed the conference but headlines seem to be the news on the Vaccine is positive but we still need to maintain current standards for the foreseeable to protect ourselves and each other.

They still hope to relax the current restrictions on social activities on 2nd December but it's to early to see if they've had the desired impact but the way to keep the lockdowns short is to follow the rules as strictly as possibly. If people break the rules then they won't work.

It makes you wonder. They are on the brink of finding a vaccine for COVID within about 6 months yet they can’t find anything for the common cold or flu.
Makes you wonder if any effort goes into that.

there is a flu vaccine, I have just had it. Flu mutates quite a lot, so they have to adjust it each year.

oh yea, I forgot the had a flu jab. Thought they only give them to the elderly and not sure how effective it is.

I think anyone can get it if they want.

I get it for free here as I have a long term illness. Not really an illness, but a permanent condition. Unfortunately that condition is not "drunk"

Think the issue is it wears off so you have to get it topped up every year and imagine it's taken quite a lot of money over many years to get the flu jab to what it is now.

I guess if they really needed to they could find a more long term solution but Flu isn't particularly deadly and doesn't transmit at anywhere near the rate that Covid does so there isn't the incentive to find that vaccine.

Anyone can get it cost £15 in boots. Free on the NHS if you're vulnerable and most work places give it as s benefit.

Anyone can get it cost £15 in boots. Free on the NHS if you're vulnerable and most work places give it as s benefit.
I have asthma and I am struggling to get a flu jab in these times, even my doctors surgery seem to be fobbing me off saying oh they will be available soon.

On my last look, Boots, Lloyds etc have stopped booking in jabs because of demand.

My last job I got a free shot every year but no such luck at my new company but think I was lucky to be in a big firm that did that for its staff.

I have asthma and I am struggling to get a flu jab in these times, even my doctors surgery seem to be fobbing me off saying oh they will be available soon.

On my last look, Boots, Lloyds etc have stopped booking in jabs because of demand.

My last job I got a free shot every year but no such luck at my new company but think I was lucky to be in a big firm that did that for its staff.
It is likely they do it as it costs them more in lost production with so many lost hours to colds and flu in winter months.

Give the local pharmacy's a look the few on my high street are doing it just at a slight extra cost. Think it's £20 instead of £15. A friend who was shielding previously booked one Saturday for this week Thursday. So maybe independent local ones are a better option in these times.

Give the local pharmacy's a look the few on my high street are doing it just at a slight extra cost. Think it's £20 instead of £15. A friend who was shielding previously booked one Saturday for this week Thursday. So maybe independent local ones are a better option in these times.
Well, its difficult to see that being anything other than opportunism. Hopefully they will be challenged on that as they administer it.

Well, its difficult to see that being anything other than opportunism. Hopefully they will be challenged on that as they administer it.

Just had a look and Asda is £8 and Boots is £13.99 so I assume the price isn't regulated by anyone.

My mrs was due to get one but had it cancelled as they ran out a few days before her appointment there's high demand currently and as she's not considered a key worker or at risk she was bumped off the list which I guess is fair enough. Don't think she's managed to get it re-booked yet.

My mrs was due to get one but had it cancelled as they ran out a few days before her appointment there's high demand currently and as she's not considered a key worker or at risk she was bumped off the list which I guess is fair enough. Don't think she's managed to get it re-booked yet.
Yea I had a similar experience, I'm not old or ill thankfully but wanted to get the flu jab this year so that if I did get symptoms this winter I could rule out flu (more or less), & swiftly get a Covid test, pharmacy said they were prioritising the vulnerable and NHS staff such was the demand this year, which is fair enough I'll just have to take my flu on the chin this year lol.

Yeah need to check out the pharmacies again. Even the local private hospital aren’t taking appointments at the moment. But hopefully appointments will start to pop up soon.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back