Champions League 2021/22: Man Utd vs Young Boys ~ Wed 8th Dec 8pm KO

jsp

Last group game for Utd has absolutely nothing riding on it for us we are guaranteed first spot but Young Boys can still potentially get a Europa League spot so they'll likely be coming full armed with their strongest XI.

Far Ralf it's a chance to probably try out a few more and see how they adapt to his 4-2-2-2 system.

Lingard and Martial both missed the game at the weekend with injury if fit you'd probably expect to see them here.

Phil Jones isn't able to play as he's not been registered in the european squad for the group stage. Utd are away to Norwich on Sunday then Brentford the following Tuesday so it's 3 games in 6 days so expect rotation.

Henderson

AWB Bailly Maguire Telles

Matic VDB

Mata Lingard

Greenwood Martial

Could be something like that if he's fit I expect Lingard will start maybe Shaw as well if he's back just to get some minutes in the legs ahead of a busy run of matches.

Think we saw in the away leg that Young Boys are a hard working side that could cause us a few problems they love to attack and it'll be a big night for some of their players chance to play at one of the biggest grounds in Europe.

Looking at that line up there's a lot of players we assume don't have much of a future at the club so lets see how much they want to impress the new boss and stay.

I assume Amad will go on loan in January so they might not risk playing him to avoid any potential cup tie issues.

Not sure how that works now pretty sure a club playing in Europa League could register him even if he's played for us in the Champions League this season pretty sure they changed all those rules a while back. Think the rule is now you can't play for two different teams in the same competition in 1 season.

It's a bit of a shame Phil Jones can't get a run out he's been back on the bench recently.

This one should be all about giving minutes to marginalized players. It wouldn't bother me at all if this were an entirely different XI from Sunday. There's no reason to risk an injury to a player we need every week, we've topped the group, and there are players who need to play. Come on, RR, you can do it!

Think you can look at it two ways

1) we've got a new manager with a new playing style and 5 subs available do we start strong and practise the new style then make a load of changes?

2) do you just write it off from the start play a fully rotated side and pack the bench with kids give all the first team players the night off?

I think if you go option 2 it gives you an extra training session with your starting players and with the crazy fixture schedule why not give some lads a chance to impress.

I think option 2. There are a lot of players just on the fringe of the team who are desperate to play, and in this game it literally doesn't matter if we win or lose, so hand these players their dream. It would not be only youth team players, but people like Mata, VDB, Jones (!). The risk is that RR puts out a side that is complete strangers to one another and they get hammered. Probably want to put Bruno, Ronaldo, Greenwood on the bench just to make an appearance if needed. It will be interesting to see how pragmatic RR is, how many regular starters he plays, and how many youth he plays. I don't think RR will care particularly if we lose this game, like, his ego won't be damaged, but on a professional level he now has to think of our 2nd XI and figure out which of these random pieces can be formed into something.

I think option 2. There are a lot of players just on the fringe of the team who are desperate to play, and in this game it literally doesn't matter if we win or lose, so hand these players their dream. It would not be only youth team players, but people like Mata, VDB, Jones (!). The risk is that RR puts out a side that is complete strangers to one another and they get hammered. Probably want to put Bruno, Ronaldo, Greenwood on the bench just to make an appearance if needed. It will be interesting to see how pragmatic RR is, how many regular starters he plays, and how many youth he plays. I don't think RR will care particularly if we lose this game, like, his ego won't be damaged, but on a professional level he now has to think of our 2nd XI and figure out which of these random pieces can be formed into something.

Jones can’t play as he isn’t registered in the European squad.

Guess sometimes you might just want the momentum 4 good results in a row confidence coming back into the squad after a horror run of results. Do you risk damaging that by playing a totally new side?

I’d like to think you can compartmentalise it and treat this game as a one off.

Shame about Jones and that Alvaro Fernandez hasn't been at the club long enough to be named on the 'B' list this season.

There's a lot of defensive work that's not good enough, and may never be, but there are few finer sights in youth football anywhere in Europe that his attacking play from deep on the left.

Henderson
AWB Mengi Bailly Shaw
vd Beek Matic
Amad Elanga
Greenwood Sancho​

Be nice to see Bjorn Hardley get a run out as well, either at LB or LCB late on.

Saying all that think Ralf might go same again for 60/65 minutes then use the subs to make the obvious changes whatever the score at the time, but if it had been his 5th or 6th match he'd tempted to rest everybody.

No-one from the weekend should be starting this one, should be full on rotation - however guess one of the centre backs will probably have to play. Will probably play the below:

Henderson

AWB - Bailly - Lindelof - Shaw

Matic - VDB

Lingard - Mata - Elanga

Greenwood​

The following players have been added to United's Champions League squad for the match tonight:

Teden Mengi
Shola Shoretire
Bjorn Hardley
Charlie Wellens
Zidane Iqbal
Charlie Savage
Sam Mather

Fully expect the first three to have some involvement in the 18 tonight, or is it 22/23?

Mengi should be starting tonight to give the other centre backs a night off. Agree that Shoretire will probably get some game time as well.

The other lads probably won’t get a gig but will be great for them to be in and around the first team. Sam Mather is definitely one to watch for the future.

Think you can name 12 subs and use 5 so should be plenty of the youngsters on the bench.

Been confirmed that Henderson and VDB will start the game tonight.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Matic at centre back, Mata and Lingard as the central midfield pairing. This could be fun!

Wreck-it-Ralf going for it!

Charlie Savage looking to go one better than his old man and make the first team

1-1

What a stupid goal to give away.

VDB with a very sloppy ball on the edge of his box far to casual

Really enjoyable game of football. Greenwood a class above in that half - his goal was stunning. The YB one wasn’t half bad either.

Hoping to see a few youngsters in the second half.

Been rubbish second half to be honest.

Can’t see Lingard or Mata getting much playing time going forward, Amad I don’t think is ready for this level, AWB struggling.

Henderson I think played well as did Greenwood and I think Elanga has done well.

Physically it’s been men vs boys and they haven’t been afraid to use that extra bit of physical edge to their advantage they win pretty much every 50/50.

Good to see some kids get a run out especially young Tom Heaton.

Tom Heaton looks a decent prospect.

Poor second half but that was to be expected with these guys not playing much and a few youngsters on. Enjoyable first half, forgettable second.

Great to see some youngsters come on and get what maybe their one or two games for United.

Greenwood hitting his stride a little tonight, deserves to start above Rashford right now.

Yeah good to see that Covid hasn’t done much damage still looks sharp and fresh and will certainly put those with the starting spots under pressure.

Thought Shaw looked good for an hour he will be pushing Telles for the left back spot.

As for the rest think all of them will be off the bench until the FA Cup comes around unless there are injuries.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back