Cavani to leave in summer?

Strong rumours that he’s made his mind up and is off doesn’t want the second year likely to return to South America.

Ole expected to confirm this at tomorrow’s press conference.

Cavani was a stopgap measure and provided a fig leaf for the owners to hide their failure to land a top striker. He's been a good example for the younger players like Greenwood to learn from and he's scored some great goals. That said, his year with us is about right. We need to go after Haaland.

Yeah be a shame if he doesn't stick around but it accellerates the need for a new striker this summer which is a big problem as cash will be tight and strikers cost a lot of money.

Do they take the gamble and put faith in Greenwood and hope that Martial rediscovers some form.

Saw some conflicting reports from South American journalists saying that he was staying - but then the tweets were deleted. So maybe there is truth in him going.

Would be a shame because he’s been good this season and come up with some key goals. Wouldn’t begrudge him leaving to be back with his family though. Been a tough year for everyone.

If he is to leave hope we can some more good moments of Cavani before he leaves. We’ve been lucky to have him for a year.

Yeah the stuff I've seen suggest he's loved being a Utd player likes the manager and the players but he's struggled to settle in Manchester and he's decided it's time to return home after a very long time in Europe.

Such a shame that the fans will never get to see him play in the flesh as they would have buzzed off him and anyone who's seen the chant a guy from twitter made up for him he'd have likely been a terrace hero.

He's done well, and I wouldn't be against him staying for the help he'd give Greenwood. But we do need to think about the position a bit more long term. I guess the real problem is going to get a buyer for Martial.

Not sure why he's struggling in Manchester but was ok in Paris.

He's only really experienced lockdown life in England I assume he's had his wife and kids with him so probably hasn't been an easy adjustment for them. Weather wise there's not much difference but culturally they are very different places.

I do think the whole racism thing annoyed him as well.

Just think we're stuck with Martial he's reported to be on £240k a week he's going nowhere and Ole probably knows that so he just needs to buy another striker but what he might look to do is buy another right sided player like Sancho and move Greenwood into the middle and look for another cheap striker.

Giroud is available on a free in the summer for example.

I just think this summer is going to be like last summer lots of talk and no action as the clubs haven't got the cash a whole season of no fans will be hitting clubs hard so the transfer budgets I think are going to be really low across all clubs.

I read his family wasn’t over here? Not sure if that means his general family or wife/kids but if that’s true then it’s fair he wants to leave. They may have been with him in Paris but went back to South America once the pandemic hit.

Not sure we can afford to not buy a striker this year, we have been living off if’s for so long now. It will be okay if Martial finds form, it’ll be okay if Greenwood continues his potential. I have no doubt Greenwood will be special but I’m fine with him on the right for now because we have Amad and Pellistri who we have bought for that right flank. Greenwood can be first choice there and supplying the goods for a new striker.

I read his family wasn’t over here? Not sure if that means his general family or wife/kids but if that’s true then it’s fair he wants to leave. They may have been with him in Paris but went back to South America once the pandemic hit.

Not sure we can afford to not buy a striker this year, we have been living off if’s for so long now. It will be okay if Martial finds form, it’ll be okay if Greenwood continues his potential. I have no doubt Greenwood will be special but I’m fine with him on the right for now because we have Amad and Pellistri who we have bought for that right flank. Greenwood can be first choice there and supplying the goods for a new striker.

Think his wife and kids are here with him but the rest of his family have had to stay in Uruguay and with international games being cancelled he's not had the regular trips home which I think are important to a lot of players who come to Europe.

It's completely understandable why he'd want to leave for the reasons listed above, so I can't hold that against him. However, this saddens me because he's been a United player in the wrong shirt for the better part of a decade and I'd have loved to see more of him in front of fans.

When you compare his movement and finishing to what we get from Martial/Rashford and Greenwood (although he's the closest we have), it's exposed the need for a proper CF and it's a bummer that the gimps aren't going to fund one this summer.

Speaking of those two, would that preclude our pursuit of Sancho, in your opinion? It looks to me like that was the intention, to fill that right side with cheap options. So if we're not in (dire) need of a right sided attacker, we should be able to train our sights on a CF/striker to lead the line. If Cavani stays, does that complicate things or put the decision off another window? My view is that Cavani staying ticks the CF box and the owners will be reluctant to buy, therefore, we should thank Cavani for his service and go big for a world class player.

Speaking of those two, would that preclude our pursuit of Sancho, in your opinion? It looks to me like that was the intention, to fill that right side with cheap options. So if we're not in (dire) need of a right sided attacker, we should be able to train our sights on a CF/striker to lead the line. If Cavani stays, does that complicate things or put the decision off another window? My view is that Cavani staying ticks the CF box and the owners will be reluctant to buy, therefore, we should thank Cavani for his service and go big for a world class player.
I think if you were to ask me last summer it would have been a right sided attacker was the absolute must. Martial looked like he had turned a corner, we had Cavani coming in towards the end but now I think a striker is a far bigger priority than the right side. For me if we had someone like Kane upfront I think we would still be well in the title race. I think Amad and Pellistri will be both fine players and like I said Greenwood can play on the right so if it was a straight fight between a striker or the right side, a striker would hands down win - even if Cavani stays.

A striker and a partner for Maguire are the keys this summer. And an upgrade on Fred.

I think the answer is probably both this summer if Cavani leaves we need a striker and a wide player.

Amad from what I’ve seen so far is not first team ready he needs to develop a bit more physically think he will be loaned out next season to a less physical league.

Pellestri far from the finished article wonderful balance and dribbling skills but needs to continue brushing up the final product so again I think a loan will be the intention for him next season.

As it stands for the 3 attacking positions next season our options are Martial, Rashford, Greenwood & James we are horribly short. Of the returning loan players Chong hasn’t really kicked on during his loan spell, Periera has hardly played and Lingard isn’t really a wide player with Bruno around he’s not playing.

My worry is Ole will end up back where he was 2 years ago as the club just haven’t found the players they have to sort this during the summer.

I wish we could speed-age Charlie McNeil & Joe Hugill, they are banging 'em in for fun. Both average a goal contribution in less than 90 minutes. Both are special talents. It's probably too early to bring them into the first team but in two years they will be incredible.

I don't know about Pellistri but I think Amad is doing enough to get into the first team.

Amad has loads of potential. I think because I have had a couple of moans about his game time it has been interpreted as me saying he should be in the first team. I was never saying that. I was saying that there were a couple of 2nd legs that were as good as over that we could have tested the water with him, and failing that he needs some game time in the u23s, as he did last night. His vision and out to in movement is excellent.

Cavani must have loved tearing it up with Bruno and Pogba last night. The three of them were excellent. Hopefully it'll make him give it another season.

Yeah think it's just difficult for him.

Moved to a new country in a pandemic, we assume he doesn't really need the money anymore, the whole racism thing did cast a bit of a shadow even if everyone seems to have moved on from it now.

My theory is with all the covid stuff still likely to be going on for the next 12 months around the world he wants to get back to South America so he can see family. Travel in and out of the UK is still going to be difficult next season so he's probably feeling pretty lonely.

Maybe less restrictions domestically might help his family he seems to get on well with the lads so might be that his family will feel more settled if they can do things with other players families and feel more part of the club.

There is a south american journalist on twitter currently stating that he's agreed to stay and it will be announced next week

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Excellente.

Now it’s official. Staying for another season.

Been a cracking signing, there were so many whispers that it was purely a panic signing. Granted it probably wasn’t first choice but he’s more than repaid the faith. Been fantastic the last few weeks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great news think that confirms no new striker this summer.

Be great to see him in front of a full house singing his song I think the fans will love him in the ground.

Great role model for the young kids as well could be a great influence on Greenwood showing him little things to improve his game.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back