Not open for further replies.
200pxslbenficalogosvg.png
vs.
200pxmanchesterunitedfc.png

UEFA Champions League
Wednesday, 14 September 2011
Estádio da Luz
KO: 19:45 UK time​

Really looking forward to seeing Pablo Aimar again, not seen him play for years, can't help but feel injuries held him back from being something very special. Looking at their squad, it could be a tricky game. Looking forward to it quite a bit.

i didn't realise they had signed Alex Witsel, will be a good game but i think we should be favorites for all 3 points.

My predicted lineup is:

De Gea; Smalling, Jones, Rio, Fabio; Park, Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs; Rooney, Berbatov.

Benfica have a couple of players we've been linked with a bit in the past - Witsel and Gaitan were linked recently enough so it will good to watch them. Witsel recently joined them though so I doubt he'd be a target any time soon. Cardozo can be a handfull up front if he wants to be and Aimar has already been mentioned. Think Saviola might play for them also ? Have some decent players anyway but our lads should have enough.

We can win there, but i don't expect an easy game. And to be honest, this should be our most complicated game in the group stages.
Benfica has started the season well, but faces enormous pressure after have been knocked out to Braga in the UEFA Europa League Cup and have finished so many points behind Porto in the Portuguese league.

They have an interesting time, with dangerous players like Aimar, Cardozo and Saviola. Witsel, Nolito and Capdevila were good additions. Things have improved over the goalkeeper, who was a weak link. They Got rid of Roberto and brought Arthur, who did an excellent season by Braga. They usually play with a 4-1-3-2, but I think that should change against United.

I think we'lll see a little different team in this game. With Carrick, Fletcher and Giggs in midfield, although I want that Fergie stick with Ando. I'd like to see Fabio on the right back and Young playing at the right wing. It would be interesting.

And I think this is a good opportunity to Fergie finally use Berbatov. With Rooney and Chicharito in excelent moment, the Bulgarian will have fewer chances to play. And Wednesday's game is one of those.

My Starting XI: DDG, Fabio, Smalling, Rio, Evra, Young, Fletcher, Ando, ​​Giggs, Berba, Chicharito

My only worry about the game is that a few of our lads won't be match sharp.

Rough guess - Lindegaard, Jones, Smalling, Rio, Fabio, Valencia, Fletcher, Carrick, Park, Berbatov, Owen.

Not sure what Fergie will go with but judging on the article below where he mentions experience I think it'll be something like this, give others a chance to impress and to remind the lads who are starting week in, week out in the league at the moment that they still need to play to the best of their ability. I'd like to see Jones again at RB and Smalling at CB. I'm not calling for De Gea to be dropped by the way, just think Lindegaard should be given a chance after an impressive pre-season, (I also feel sorry for him). I think Evra and Evans will be rested after picking up knocks on Saturday, it's about time we saw Fabio at LB too. Not sure if Valencia is ready to play but judging on the way he returned to the side last season after a while out then I don't think there'll be much problem with him starting. Fletcher looked good for Scotland the other week, looking a lot more like the Fletcher of old. I think Carrick will start with him, with Giggs coming on later in the game for either him or Fletcher. With Benfica playing 3 in midfield then Park will be a good addition. I've gone with Berba upfront, surely he'll play.... surely!! Not sure about Owen, could be Chicha or Kiko.

Manchester United Official Web Site - Carrick and Fletcher could face Benfica

Hi all Benfica fan here,

Really looking forward to the game on Wednesday. With the signing of Axel Witsel the manager has had to change his formation from last season were we played mostly in a 4-4-2 diamond, with Javi García as the defensive midfielder and Pablo Aimar behind the forwards.

Although this season, with the arrival of more midfielders it seems we have played our best in a 4-3-3 formation (attacking) and 4-5-1 (defending) with just the one striker upfront, supported by Gaitán and Nolito in the wings.

But we shall see how Jorge Jesus lines the side against Manchester United, he has been quite unpredictable this year in terms of tactics. We returned to our usual 4-4-2 in the weekend.

Good to hear from a fan of the opposition, has the Coentrao departure effected you in anyway?

Phil Jones, Ashley Young, Anderson, Smalling and Cleverley to name a few. Even De Gea after a shaky start, great potential the former Atlético player has.

Basically all the youngsters and the others are just their normal self who continue to produce quality performances, you have demolished most teams this season I have to say.

Been dissapointed with Nani to be honest, has had a few really good games but also went missing in some.

Good to hear from a fan of the opposition, has the Coentrao departure effected you in anyway?

Definitely has. Key player for us last season and his replacement, Emerson from Lille, has it all to do to fill the boots of the Portuguese International. We also signed Capdevila but funnily enough he hasn't even been included in the Champions League squad.

Our left side is currently the weakest, and I fear this will be very obvious to see from our previous CL games this season.

De Gea
Jones Rio Smalling Fabio
Valencia Carrick Ando Young
Rooney Hernandez​

The main risk here could be getting dominated by a 3 man midfield that has some very strong CM's, who can get stuck in! might see us play a 4-5-1 with Berba upfront alone!

Travelling squad: De Gea, Lindegaard; Evans, Evra, Fabio, Jones, Smalling; Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs, Nani, Park, Valencia, Young; Berbatov, Hernandez, Owen, Rooney.

No Ferdinand, Cleverley, Welbeck, Vidic.

Ferdinand exclusion a "precaution"

Vidic not trained yet and won't until another 2 weeks.

OK now, here's the team I think Fergie will go with ... De Gea, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Evra, Nani, Fletcher, Carrick, Park, Berbatov, Hernandez. 2-0 United.

I want to see Lindegaard play but don't think we will. With no Rio, I think it's unlikely Fabio will play at LB as Evra's experience will be needed at the back. Could see him at RB of course. Don't think Valencia will start, he's not played for a while, think he'll come on in the 2nd half maybe. Same with Owen, think he'll come on for Chicha if we're winning. I think Rooney will be on the bench and will be used if needed.

slb1904, Nicolas Gaitan has been linked with United in recent times. Do you think he would be a potentially good signing ? Do you think it will happen ?

He certainly is a good player but one that tends to pick his occasions. Good potential but just needs to be more consistent, because if he plays well, the team plays well.

Our problem is that we keep using players out of their positions, he was mainly a number 10 for Boca Juniors but we use him in the left and right wing only. Scored a great goal against Trabzonspor in the Qualifiers.

Official Team: Lindegaard; Fabio, Smalling, Evans, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Fletcher, Park; Rooney

Subs: De Gea, Jones, Anderson, Nani, Owen, Berbatov, Hernandez

Hmmm interesting. Clearly the Chelsea game has been borne in mind here with a few golden oldies playing. Good to see Fletcher back in action for United

Also don't understand Lindegaard's selection. De Gea should have remained in the team to build on his best game.

Turns out my initial thoughts were close to being correct. Totally agree with Lindegaard playing, he's a very good keeper, we have to keep him happy, if he didn't play tonight, who knows when he would. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays all the CL group games, League Cup games and some of the FA Cup games too.

ITV: we're with Roy Keane in Benfica. No mention of Gareth Southgate who is stood next to Keane ED

The Team are lucky rusty which is understandable due to the lack of game play for a number of the players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back