Ashley Young signs one-year extension

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My worry is the warning signs are there for the Valencia drop off we can't go into next season with him as a first choice player. I think keeping him around the squad makes sense but the club have to sign a right back who's ready to start games next season as Dalot doesn't look anywhere near ready from what we've seen so far but then Lindelöf took a year to settle into things.

Next season I'd see Young as more like cover for Shaw at LB than a RB option but my worry is him signing 1 more year means another year of kicking the right back problem down the road. Utd haven't really had a nailed down right back since 2007 when Neville got injured and never really came back. The closest we got was Rafael who looked to have nailed it towards the end of the Fergie era but totally lost his way under Moyes/LVG.

Its good that he will be around for another season, but like @jsp is saying we need to invest in a first choice RB and its blatantly been a problem area for some time, Valencia seemed to fill in well but i think there were signs of shakiness there, instead of Dalot, we should of knicked Odriozola from Sociedad before Madrid got hold of him, he looks like he is ready for first team football but he wont get it at Madrid.

No disrespect to Dalot, he could come on leaps and bounds but i think we needed a more urgent solution.

I dont see us winning the CL or the Prem with Youngy at full back.

Maybe half the point of keeping Young is that link to how united used to be and should be now.

Not sure he's really that link because while he's been around a long time he's never been a major part of the title winning side the 2013 title win he only made 23 appearances that season.

I think he's clearly popular with the coaches because he's got a spot on attitude but this is Utd the quality on the pitch needs to match the attitude off it and for me Young has never provided the quality required on the pitch to be a Utd player he was an average winger who've converted himself into an average full back.

Said it in a few threads @Ben Townsend the one for me is Wan Bissaka that boy looks the real deal but he'd be expensive £40m plus but I don't think there's been a better right back in the league this season. There's some mad stat going round that only 7 players have actually dribbled past him this season I went to the Palace game and he had Martial in his pocket and the season before he did the same to Sanchez I think on his debut. He's also a converted winger so he's got good quality going forward I think with the right coaching he could be a real star if he doesn't get injury problems.

The issue with that plan is Dalot the club have identified him as a real target and the reports are he's highly rated by all youth coaches but he's had a season to bed in so next season will we risk him going in as the first choice RB as we need to get him playing a lot more games. Been a tough first year as he's had quite a few injury problems.

Young getting a new deal bit like Jones just feels like the club are trying to do things cheap rather than making cut throat decisions and letting players who just don't cut it leave because for new players to come in existing players need to go.

Young and Jones have been kept on to fulfil homegrown quota requirements. McTominay and Pereira are currently 2 of our homegrown listed players, they'll likely go. Smalling could possibly go, as he has been with England, he may be cut by the new manager due to technical deficiencies.

Also, we cannot replace everyone in one summer, Young and Jones have recently been first choice, there are others that need cutting before them, those that have hardly played or not played at all under Ole. There are between 7-9 players without even thinking of Jones and Young that need to go. We will not sell all those this summer either, also unlikely to get decent money for them to re-invest in the standard of player we require to replace them.

Young and Jones have been kept on to fulfil homegrown quota requirements. McTominay and Pereira are currently 2 of our homegrown listed players, they'll likely go. Smalling could possibly go, as he has been with England, he may be cut by the new manager due to technical deficiencies.

Also, we cannot replace everyone in one summer, Young and Jones have recently been first choice, there are others that need cutting before them, those that have hardly played or not played at all under Ole. There are between 7-9 players without even thinking of Jones and Young that need to go. We will not sell all those this summer either, also unlikely to get decent money for them to re-invest in the standard of player we require to replace them.

Name the guys who need to go before them? First team players not kids

Jones is constantly injured and has never been good enough to be a starter. I understand the need to keep English talent but length of contract is a problem.

Young I think has had 1 good season at Utd which was last season but he’s another guy who’s never been a first choice. If they feel Dalot is still a year away from being ready I get the logic in keeping him for 1 more year but unless Dalot becomes a top class right back in 6 months we won’t move forward.

Those 2 deals just feel like maintaining the status quo or the norm it’s not a signal of intent to move forward as for players to come in existing players need to go. I think the target in the summer should be 4 in and 5 out we need to ditch quantity and replace with quality.

1 CB in 2 CBs out (Rojo plus 1)
1 RB in 1 RB out (Darmian)
1 CM in 1 CM out (Periera)
1 Forward in 1 Forward out (Mata)

Fellaini has gone and Valencia appears gone if the club can get rid of Lukaku or Sanchez or both they should.

My issue is right back has been a problem position for 5 years I think it needs serious investment with a ready made fix like City did with Walker but we’ve gambled on Dalot and even if he comes good we still need competition.

There was no need to keep Young and Jones to match the homegrown quota unless we're getting rid of others. I was looking at it the other day when I assumed it was for nationality reasons we kept Jones. Our homegrown players listed in the premier league are:

Grant
Jones
Lingard
Lukaku
McTominay
Periera
Pogba
Shaw
Smalling
Young

That's 10 so you can afford to take 2 out already. Then Rashford will be registered next season has turned 21 now so that's 11 so we can lose 3 without worrying. Only Periera from that list is likely to leave. Though i'd let McTominay and Lukaku move on.

I get why Young got a new contract and Jones isn't a bad 5th choice CB but that's what he needs to be. Lindelof + 1. Then Bailly and Smalling. Then Jones. Lindelof needs a new partner this summer.

Does any other team in world football have 5 CBs on the books that are all considered first team quality?

To me it’s madness if you’re playing a back 4 you need 4 and your 5th should be an academy guy like Fosu-Mensah or Tuenzebe.

To me it just shows our lack of plan at the very top on how to fix this squad.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back