Anthony Martial | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumours today that Ole wants rid of Martial but the Glazers won’t let him as he’s Joel Glazers favourite player.

Think this story did the rounds previously when Mourinho wanted to move him out as he didn't think he was good enough wanted to sell him to raise cash for other signings.

When Mourinho left Martial got a new contract think this was after Ole got the job full time so surely he would have signed off on it.

I'm not sure I really buy it as a story surely we aren't keeping players because the owner likes them.

Then Joel Glazier has got to go!Van Gaal brought him to the club so it was always “he’s got so much potential” then Mourinho stopped playing him and called him lazy , then he had a bounce to ole but now it’s back to the Mourinho days for him ,he’s happy taking he’s wages imo

I think Martial needs the early, hard pass up to him to be effective. He loves the ball to feet, and then he likes to take his man on. Our build up play has been too obvious, which allows the defenders to stand behind him and foul him, as all 3 Wolves center backs did in rotation. Martial also needs a Pogba or Mata to lift a pass between lines or into a tight space for him to chase. If you watch him in the first half of most games at least recently, he is moving laterally a lot, dragging his marker around, making darting runs, but the ball almost never gets to him, so he stands and waits for it because that's what the other players have shown him they will do with the ball.

Martial's talent was easier to see when he first joined United because there were better players around him. I look forward to seeing what mischief he and Bruno can get up to, not to mention having Rashford and Pogba back will spark new life in him. I don't think Martial is lazy I think he has had to adapt his natural game to a bunch of pub-level players.

When we signed him there were Ballon d'Or clauses put in his contract and I remember non-United fans laughing over this, but there were quite a few early displays where you could conceivably see United having to pay out on that clause. Why has he gone to seed? I think it's the dross around him.

I’m sorry but to say he doesn’t look good because of the players around him is a poor indictment on him. Why can Rashford look good with the same players? You put peak Rooney in this side and he’s getting a much better output than Martial and elevating those around him.

He in part of the dross surrounding our better players at the moment.

Martial is missing Rashford, just like Rashford missed Martial. Unlike the others, the two are on a similar wavelength.

Rashford is on a similar wave length with James too though doesn’t rely solely on Martial being around.

I actually think Martial is missing Pogba more, those two have a good little connection. Pogba was only on for a little bit against Watford a little while back but Martial seemed to come alive when he did. They play good one touch passes with each other. Would love to see Rashford, Martial, Pogba and Fernandes all playing and on form. That could be a really deadly foursome.

Hopefully it’ll be more attacking than that.

AWB Maguire Lindelof Williams

McTominay

Pogba Fernandes

Greenwood Martial Rashford.

Before Rashford return

Greenwood Ighalo Martial

If it's true that the Glazers won't let us sell because one really likes him then... Well I'm not even sure what to say about that. There's no words to describe how idiotic that is and how screwed we are. But we knew that anyway.

Lots of excuses for Martial, he misses rashford, he misses Pogba, he misses his mum who knows what else.

The excuses have got to stop it's time to deliver and if you want to be a £200k a week striker at a club like Utd you need to deliver sometimes when you don't have all the pieces around you.

I'll cut him some slack he's had to play a lot of games in a short period but he needs to finish the season strong otherwise Utd will surely look to replace him.

Lots of excuses for Martial, he misses rashford, he misses Pogba, he misses his mum who knows what else.

The excuses have got to stop it's time to deliver and if you want to be a £200k a week striker at a club like Utd you need to deliver sometimes when you don't have all the pieces around you.

I'll cut him some slack he's had to play a lot of games in a short period but he needs to finish the season strong otherwise Utd will surely look to replace him.
Time is running out for him, as much as we get behind him in the stadium the murmurs you hear in the concourse and outside the ground people are starting to question if he can really cut it to be a great forward

I don't know why there are still questions about Martial. It's been a few years now and nothing has changed.

He doesn't have the attitude, mentality or on the pitch work rate to succeed at the top. I've said that to friends for years.

I don't know why there are still questions about Martial. It's been a few years now and nothing has changed.

He doesn't have the attitude, mentality or on the pitch work rate to succeed at the top. I've said that to friends for years.
Plain and simple he's just not up to the challenge, hes just not consistent enough and right that's what we need.

You are being overly generous. This guy needs to go asap

Martial has got to go for us to compete, what do you guys think of Harry Kane? And Rashford on the left? Possibility if Poch takes over in the summer.

Others should leave before Martial. Why make the squad weaker by letting Martial leave and keeping the likes of Mata, Lingard, Pereira? He has comfortably outperformed the aforementioned players.

Why does Martial have to go? That would significantly weaken the squad which would be insane for where we are right now. We are not one or two players away from competing, we need a hell of a lot more players than that. Martial has his negatives but like Bob said many more have to go before we contemplate letting him go.

Don’t think Martial would be happy being a squad player we saw under Jose when he wasn’t playing his name was always in the press linking him with moves away.

That said I think Utd should be looking for another striker to compete for that starting spot and give us more options as Martial isn’t a Kane or Agüero where you say he has to play every week.

If we sellMartial then we have to buy 2 strikers if we got a silly offer you might say take it but no one is coming in offering 50m plus for a guy like Martial so realistically he isn’t going anywhere.

Don’t think Martial would be happy being a squad player we saw under Jose when he wasn’t playing his name was always in the press linking him with moves away.

That said I think Utd should be looking for another striker to compete for that starting spot and give us more options as Martial isn’t a Kane or Agüero where you say he has to play every week.

If we sellMartial then we have to buy 2 strikers if we got a silly offer you might say take it but no one is coming in offering 50m plus for a guy like Martial so realistically he isn’t going anywhere.
I would like to see Kane as our main man not sure if it’s going to happen though

I don’t think paying that sort of money would be a good idea for Kane now. He’s missing a lot of time and the injury list is piling up for him.

Still think Kane has 4 or 5 years at the top the injury might do him some good especially if it forced him to miss the euros guy just looks like he needs a good rest but don’t see him ever coming to Utd. A move from Spurs might actually do him some good get better players around him take off some of the pressure to play every game but he’d cost a fortune and he does seem pretty happy at Spurs.

Mousse Dembele from Lyon seems to be the most consistent link in terms of a centre forward these days but Lyon will be after silly money as normal so if you are going for him you have to be 100% sure.

Why does Martial have to go? That would significantly weaken the squad which would be insane for where we are right now. We are not one or two players away from competing, we need a hell of a lot more players than that. Martial has his negatives but like Bob said many more have to go before we contemplate letting him go.
He has to go and be replaced. We need players who want to fight for the shirt. That is not him!!

Maybe he doesn't have to go,its just that I don't see him being our number 9 which if that's what he wants he's needs to start coming up with a better strike ratio for me I think his better out wide but that's just my opinion

Maybe he doesn't have to go,its just that I don't see him being our number 9 which if that's what he wants he's needs to start coming up with a better strike ratio for me I think his better out wide but that's just my opinion
He does have to go. He's simply not good enough if we want to compete for trophies. And he's not the kind who is going to fight for his place. Or come off the bench, give it everything and try to win us a game.

I certainly don't think he is good enough to lead the line on his own in a weakened team but to just glibly say he isn't good enough is harsh. I absolutely agree we need a new centre forward, if we can find one that's good enough, and martial fights for his place. It may break him but it could make him.

I think it would be naive to write off Martial just yet. Yes he hasn’t hit the heights so far that his talent suggests but for me he is the type of guy that feeds off better players around him. Also to be fair even the very best strikers would struggle in this team without any creativity coming from midfield. When Rashford has been up top in this team he’s looked poor because that link is not there between him and the midfield but when he went back to the wing he flourished - mainly because he’s made things happen himself. It maybe a cop out to say he’ll be better when Pogba is back and Fernandes settles in but for me it’s true. I’ve said it before but Martial comes alive when Pogba is with him because the creativity is there.

I won’t write off Martial just yet but it maybe the case that Ole will. I think if a top quality striker becomes available then I think we need him because we need more than just Martial. One name I think should be discussed is Edouard at Celtic, he looks the real deal. Sure it’s only the SPL but the talent is sure there.

I don’t think it’s ‘glibly’ at all. He’s being treated like the main striker, paid like the main striker and isn’t doing a good enough job at it. He’s on more money than most players in the Liverpool squad. He doesn’t start for any of the other ‘big 6’.

I don’t think anything about him suggest that suddenly at 24 he’s going to turn in to the player we all thought he would, if anything he’s gone backwards.

I think it would be naive to write off Martial just yet. Yes he hasn’t hit the heights so far that his talent suggests but for me he is the type of guy that feeds off better players around him. Also to be fair even the very best strikers would struggle in this team without any creativity coming from midfield. When Rashford has been up top in this team he’s looked poor because that link is not there between him and the midfield but when he went back to the wing he flourished - mainly because he’s made things happen himself. It maybe a cop out to say he’ll be better when Pogba is back and Fernandes settles in but for me it’s true. I’ve said it before but Martial comes alive when Pogba is with him because the creativity is there.

I won’t write off Martial just yet but it maybe the case that Ole will. I think if a top quality striker becomes available then I think we need him because we need more than just Martial. One name I think should be discussed is Edouard at Celtic, he looks the real deal. Sure it’s only the SPL but the talent is sure there.
I think we're all at a stage now where we need to see an end product hopefully with the arrival of bruno he can spark some life into him , I just don't see him as a centre forward think hes far better out wide , in my eyes hes got till the end of the season to prove me wrong

He isn't doing it at the moment, but maybe he is playing through injury as we are so short.

I think I would probably cash in on him if we could, becasue he isn't consistent enough, whether thats due to injury or not I guess is irrelevant.

I think the potential was there but he moved to young the seasons he should have spent in France polishing up his skills vs weaker opponents with less of a focus on him would have made him a much better footballer than he is now but moving to Utd made him a lot richer than he is now so I can see why he took the jump when he did.

Utd have to be a club where you deliver you can't keep making excuses for people Utd sold a good striker in the summer for not being good enough to meet the high standards of Cole, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, RVP, Zlatan etc the bar is high for a good reason. Martial so far has shown he's getting nowhere near the level of those guys so I think Utd have to buy someone who can reach those levels if Martial wants to stay and fight for his spot then fine if he doesn't well that is fine too.

Of the top 10 teams in the league right now I'd say Martial starts at Everton & Sheff Utd of the other 7 clubs he isn't a starter

Could we even cash in on him now? What do you reckon we'd get back. £30m? And realistic other than Inter Milan who would look at him?

Could we even cash in on him now? What do you reckon we'd get back. £30m? And realistic other than Inter Milan who would look at him?
Yes, I reckon we could get our money back but only due to the further inflated transfer fee's since he joined so it could still be considered a loss.

Yes, I reckon we could get our money back but only due to the further inflated transfer fee's since he joined so it could still be considered a loss.

Well to date we've paid around 70m euro for him which given exchange rates at the times the sums were paid is around £50m so there's little to no chance of getting our money back because of his wages.

Martial would not be going to an elite club if those clubs wanted him we wouldn't want to sell him he'd be taking a step back like players like Depay had to do so we'd do well to recover £30m plus bonuses for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back