Anthony Elanga | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Southampton 0-1 Manchester United - 27th August 2022

He offers little quality in the attacking third. His performance supports the argument for reinforcements for this summer.

Thought second half he was much better made a few driving runs in from side which got the goal but generally I think he looks like a player with Dan James levels of potential rather than a Mason Greenwood level.

Feels like once Garnacho gets a chance he might be bumped down the order a bit unless he starts giving us a bit more.

Been pretty awful this season and his performance last night was not good at all. When he first came into the side, I was hopeful and he did put in some good performances but he hasn’t really progressed.

In terms of ability the likes of Amad and Pellistri are very much ahead of him. Wouldn’t be disappointed to see him loaned or sold this month.

Think Pellistri might have jumped in front of him with that cameo last night.

Elanga I think needs to get out on loan and get regular playing time and I suspect Utd will be looking to sell him in the summer.

From what I've seen of him I don't think he's anywhere near the required and with the competition in attacking areas hard to see him getting chances either this season or next season.

Should send him on loan to Ajax, he'd tear up that League whatever position he played. Or send him to a patient Championship side(if there are any) that can teach him the art of centre-forward play. But it's not time to give up on him yet.

Should send him on loan to Ajax, he'd tear up that League whatever position he played. Or send him to a patient Championship side(if there are any) that can teach him the art of centre-forward play. But it's not time to give up on him yet.

Sunderland have just had their striker recalled by Everton so maybe he can join Amad, not sure if there are rules on the number of players EFL clubs can have on loan from the same club.

Sunderland have just had their striker recalled by Everton so maybe he can join Amad, not sure if there are rules on the number of players EFL clubs can have on loan from the same club.

Think it was two but now it's only one, but that's likely to change again but not in time for a move in January, but then there's another window for loans only, best just to wait and see I guess.

Think it was two but now it's only one, but that's likely to change again but not in time for a move in January, but then there's another window for loans only, best just to wait and see I guess.

Yeah I couldn't find anything that was 100% clear on the rules from what I can find EFL clubs can have as many loan players as they want but they can only name 5 in a match day squad. Prem clubs are restricted to 2 loan players in their 25 man squads.

There wasn't anything about restricting the number you can have from another club.

I think loan moves have to all be done by end of January same as transfers as loans now need to be either half a season or full season deals. The only exception to that is emergency loans for a goalkeeper. The loan window and transfer window now shut at the same time.

He wont cut the mustard for where we are now heading.... back among Europe's elite. May as well get a few million for him before we get to the stage there will be no game time available for him at all.

Elanga's main problem is that the position he excels in(or has in the 18s/reserves for United and for Sweden all the way up to full International level)he's got Rashford, Martial(to a lesser extent now he's predominately playing as a no.9), Garnacho and Sancho ahead of him.

It's almost as though the football Gods have got it in for him.

I would say you have Rashord/Garnacho on the left, Antony/Sancho/Pellistri on the right, Martial/Weghorst (hopefully) up front, and Bruno/Eriksen as the no.10. I cannot see any opportunity for Elanga.

Sancho is pretty comfortable on both sides but certainly favours the left side.

Just hard to see Elanga getting a run of games unless there's a really sudden improvement.

His passing isn't particularly good, he can't really beat a man and his end product is erratic. All totally normal for young players but with the quality we have ahead of him it's hard to see him sorting out those issues at Utd.

I think it's likely best for everyone that we part ways this summer and he drops down a level or two to develop his all round game.

Sancho is pretty comfortable on both sides but certainly favours the left side.

Just hard to see Elanga getting a run of games unless there's a really sudden improvement.

His passing isn't particularly good, he can't really beat a man and his end product is erratic. All totally normal for young players but with the quality we have ahead of him it's hard to see him sorting out those issues at Utd.

I think it's likely best for everyone that we part ways this summer and he drops down a level or two to develop his all round game.

Comfortable is a stretch. After watching all last seasons matches EtH would not have signed Antony for £80m to play on the right if he thought Sancho could do even a passable job on the right.

And why would a current full International player need to drop down a few divisions? The kids just low on confidence that's all.

Comfortable is a stretch. After watching all last seasons matches EtH would not have signed Antony for £80m to play on the right if he thought Sancho could do even a passable job on the right.

And why would a current full International player need to drop down a few divisions? The kids just low on confidence that's all.

Sancho was brilliant on either wing for Dortmund broke into the team on the right side of the attack and was a very creative winger, when he moved to the left he became more of a goal scorer.

Because he clearly felt Utd needed another wide player, given we have loads of guys who can play on the left adding a lad who's comfortable on the right to replace Greenwood was an obvious signing. He also gives balance of a left footed attacking player.

Levels doesn't necessarily mean divisions but the premier league is the hardest league in the world. I don't think Elanga looks ready to play at that level maybe he could play for a team like Southampton or Brentford who develop lots of young talent but he doesn't look like a top 8 level player.

He may be better suited trying to get into a decent Bundesliga club for example still a good league but the standard of defending isn't as high so it's easier for attacking players to learn.

I'm not suggesting he drops down to league one that would be ridiculous but he looks like he needs to go and develop in an easier league.

Sancho was brilliant on either wing for Dortmund broke into the team on the right side of the attack and was a very creative winger, when he moved to the left he became more of a goal scorer.

Because he clearly felt Utd needed another wide player, given we have loads of guys who can play on the left adding a lad who's comfortable on the right to replace Greenwood was an obvious signing. He also gives balance of a left footed attacking player.

Levels doesn't necessarily mean divisions but the premier league is the hardest league in the world. I don't think Elanga looks ready to play at that level maybe he could play for a team like Southampton or Brentford who develop lots of young talent but he doesn't look like a top 8 level player.

He may be better suited trying to get into a decent Bundesliga club for example still a good league but the standard of defending isn't as high so it's easier for attacking players to learn.

I'm not suggesting he drops down to league one that would be ridiculous but he looks like he needs to go and develop in an easier league.

So were Mkhitaryan and Kagawa ......

He did look ready for the Premier League and Europe when he first broke into the team, but as I said he's low on confidence, plus he's buffed up far too much, maybe needs to give the gym a miss for a bit.

So were Mkhitaryan and Kagawa

He did look ready for the Premier League and Europe when he first broke into the team, but as I said he's low on confidence, plus he's buffed up far too much, maybe needs to give the gym a miss for a bit.

Kagawa was more of a number 10 but your point is taken. There's a long list of players who looked the nuts in Germany and then looked bobbins in England especially attacking players. It's a different level of defending in that most of the premier league teams can actually defend.

Hopefully Sancho returns from his break a different player and we see the real Sancho.

I think Germany would be a great move for Elanga the games there tend to be a bit more open as the defences aren't as good so he has the room to learn.

I think Elanga might well be one of those "ya what, he's signed for Lyon for £8m plus add-ons, when did that happen" type of transfers.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back