Andreas Pereira | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Midfield is a huge issue atm. Pereira should be nowhere near it. I have a feeling pogba will never play for United again. Matic legs have gone. Fred is ok for the squad but not a starter. Mctomminay is the only one who has proved his worth, who would have thought that a year ago. We need to buy at least 2 good midfield players, probably 3.

Yeah not addressing midfield in the summer is a major gripe for me we let Fellaini go in January which was fine and Herrera took the money in May but we knew that in March he was going so how the hell did they not go and buy a centre mid.

Matic could have been sold in the summer as well he wanted to leave so serious work could have been done to sort the midfield.

Tielemens is the one I watch every week and think how the hell didn't we get him he was a perfect replacement for Herrera available for a reasonable fee at the right age had already shown he could settle into the league and the fact he captained Anderlecht at 18 suggests he's got the right personality.

Can only assume it was budget reasons that midfield wasn't addressed but then you also look at the forwards and think we are at least 1 player light up top as well.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-2 Aston Villa - 1st December 2019

An assist but otherwise poor. Quelle surprise.

Why does he get in the team? Is he better than Garner or Levitt?

Why does he get in the team? Solskjaer is the manager.

At the start of the season I asked whether Pereira would start for another Premier League. I'm still not sure he would.

Why does he get in the team? Is he better than Garner or Levitt?

Injuries is my only reason and a lack of form from others like Mata or Lingard.

Have to say Ole must be considering one of these kids for the next game as Periera can’t be expected to play centre mid any more. He’s trying his best but it’s just not good enough and he doesn’t deserve more chances.

I really don't get his obsession with him. I would rather have played a midfield of Levitt, garner, and fred today with 3 up top. Replace one of garner or Levitt with mctomminay if he is fit.

I really don't get his obsession with him. I would rather have played a midfield of Levitt, garner, and fred today with 3 up top. Replace one of garner or Levitt with mctomminay if he is fit.

Think the fact that the youngsters went to Kazakhstan midweek probably ruled them out of starting this one but Periera can't start vs Spurs.

He's 24 he's been in first team football for 5 years he's not a youngster anymore Ole has given him more chances than anyone he's clearly nowhere near the level required and needs to be moved out sooner rather than later for everyone's benefit.

He tries his best and gets stuck in but ability wise I don't think he'd be starting in central midfield for any side in the Prem he might get a start on the wing for one of the bottom sides but he's just miles from the level required.

Another guy stupidly given a new contract by the club to try and protect transfer value.

To be honest I would rather Ole put Tuanzebe a little further up into midfield ahead of Pereira. He will be like a lamb to the slaughter vs Spurs.

It was a mistake to let Herrera go as I said all along.

It was a mistake to let Herrera go as I said all along.

Not for the wages he wanted it was not Utd could not afford to put a player of his quality on top wages it creates further problems in the squad.

Not replacing him or selling him or sorting out his contract 2 years ago is the problem but this issue I think does highlight the complete mess the club has been in.

The club was 100% correct to let leave an average midfielder, who is 30 and demanding extortion wages. The error was not adding to the exisiting options in midfield.

The club was 100% correct to let leave an average midfielder, who is 30 and demanding extortion wages. The error was not adding to the exisiting options in midfield.

Prior to January he wasn’t demanding an extortionate wage. Only once the club let him get in to the last 6 months of his contract which of course he would once offered £300k by PSG.

To think the club is better off with Periera and Fred in the middle is crazy talk. To increase the contracts of Jones/Smalling/Mata/Rojo but lose Herrera on a free was stupid. We could have easily given him a 1 yr extension at the start of the season.

Mourinho didn’t fancy Herrera which is why he wasn’t offered a contract before Herrera’s last season. Herrera then had the power to dictate terms.

Sorry to keep it off topic but the rumours at the time were Mourinho wanted Herrera to be offered a new contract and it was Woodward that was holding it up.

'However, in a sign of Mourinho’s impulsiveness, Metro.co.uk understands the 55-year-old held talks with Herrera this week and told the midfielder he’d go directly to the board to ask them to resolve his future.'

Both have been nothing but positive about eachother too when talking. Herrera recently hit out at the owners and said that football isn’t the most important thing at Manchester United.

And it all points back to what I've said all along. Woodward shouldn't be making footballing decisions. And i'm not surprised he's wary of buying another central midfielder. So far under his reign we've bought Fellaini, Herrera, Matic, Pogba, Fred at a combined £250m and still don't have a central midfield to show for it.

I don't think Mourinho ever saw him as a starter after the first season where he was good he signed Matic to upgrade him, in the second season we went to a 3 in midfield and he signed Fred to replace Herrera. So you can see why new contracts weren't offered early especially with Utd negotiation a lot of new deals in that final Mourinho season.

The rumour was Herrera was offered a reduced salary when Utd made their first offer this really pee'd him off and he started listening to offers from elsewhere. PSG came in with a massive offer as they were desperate for a centre mid and Utd couldn't go anywhere near it.

He was always a strange player as under both LVG & Mourinho it always felt like he was a second choice for them neither really seemed to fancy him as a starter but inevitably he'd force his way into the team as the players they signed ahead of him didn't work out.

It was definitely a mistake letting Herrera go, a lot of people say he was average but what we wouldn’t give for him now. Also I don’t think he was average, I thought he gave us an extra edge in midfield and I really rated him. Not every single player has to be world class to make a good team. I wouldn’t say Liverpool have any world class midfielders but they all do a job and Herrera is in that bracket. We would be doing a hell of a lot better with Herrera in our team.

Herrera hasn’t been missed when McTominay was available. He fooled a lot of fans because he got United, or something. He was good at fulfilling a man marking job. He wasn’t renowned for his ability to pull the strings/create which is severely lacking in this team.

I feel I am in between when it comes to herrera. I like him and I think he would definitely in the team atm but I also believed we could do better. The problem is we haven't addressed that position

There were players that needed to go before Herrera but he wasn't worth breaking he bank for the wage bill at the club was massively out of control players like Herrera were already probably earning well above their market rate.

He wasn’t worth breaking the bank for but I did really like Herrera, probably more than others and I think the times when we have done well in the last 4 or 5 years is when we had Herrera in the side. We definitely miss him now.

Europa League: Manchester United 4-0 AZ Alkmaar - 12th December 2019

His best performance for United?

Definitely his best performance.

I always feel like with him he tries too hard and tends to just make errors. Last night still wasn’t perfect but he did some good things and suddenly his confidence was sky high. Some of his skills were very impressive. Still not sold on him but he is actually pretty important to have in the squad because we are so thin bare. Should never be in a midfield two again though - that’s not his position and it shows.

The fact it came vs Alkmaar in the Europa League sort of sums it up though this is his level and the sooner he moves to play at this level every week the better it will be for everyone.

Hopefully it will have caught the eye of clubs who might be prepared to chuck us £10m for him in the summer.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-1 Newcastle United - 26th December 2019

Decent performance. His awareness is frustrating at times.

He was bound to get minutes in this game and/or Saturday's game against Burnley.

He was ok just not convinced by him at all just isn’t at the level required at Utd.

Premier League: Burnley 0-2 Manchester United - 28th December 2019

Top pass for Martial's goal.

Pressed well and setup the goal for Martial but still not seeing it with him long term.

I mean at number 10 in the last 25 years we’ve had players like Cantona, Sheringham, Yorke and Rooney that is/was the standard and this lad is getting nowhere near that level.

We all know he’s not the required level we need but he does create chances like last night and that’s why he’s superior to Lingard right now. I think his last two games have been pretty good and he does put in a good shift too.

We all know he’s not the required level we need but he does create chances like last night and that’s why he’s superior to Lingard right now. I think his last two games have been pretty good and he does put in a good shift too.

Yeah but that’s comparing him to a player who’s got nowhere near the level required and Lingard who’s had a shocking year has previously provided huge moments in big games for the club which Periera hasn’t.

I genuinely think the club should consider selling all 3 of our number 10 options this summer if they can as none will be missed.

Think both these guys have the same issue they’re tidy footballers but not quite quick enough physically or mentally in that killer area to find/make space and really hurt teams.

If you want to be a Man Utd number 10 you need to be getting 15-20 goals a season and creating and he’s not going to get to that level.

Oh don’t get me wrong Pereira is not the player who will take us forward but was just giving him his dues that he does create chances for the forwards. He can definitely deliver a telling ball but his all around game is sketchy. I would let Lingard go ahead of Pereira.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back