Alejandro Garnacho | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

Sideshow Bob

Impressive debut. Direct, skilful, fast and takes players on.

interesting comments by Ten Hag:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Maybe contract talks haven’t been going well and he’s started believing his own hype a bit.

Him being back in the first team environment maybe suggests talks are now progressing and his attitude has improved.

Great debut did exactly what you want a Utd winger to do. Attack the full back and get bums off seats.

He even had the confidence to pull off a behind the leg bit of control when receiving a long pass which on your first start shows he’s got the personality to play at this level. He also took a few hits off the opponent but got up and went again, he didn’t shy away from the physical side of it.

Became the youngest non Englishman to score for United in a European match last night. Bloody foreigners :D

2 assists in the end.

That kid has the right mix of confidence and arrogance to be a top player. He fears no one and if he keeps working on his game he will become a frightening winger.

There will be set backs but he’s as good as Rashford or Greenwood who came through and established themselves as first team regulars.

That cameo last night gave me Ronaldo debut vs Bolton vibes. The Villa defence were scared to death of him every time he got the ball.

Brilliant assist at the end as well. He has all the tools to be a superstar.

I can understand the comparison but many felt the same with Januzaj all the talent but he couldn't handle the pressure. Still had a decent career but didn't last 5 minutes at the very top.

Thing with a lad like him is there will be a bit of up and down on the way like there was with Rashford but I agree he looks to have the talent if he can stay injury free and focused on his football he looks like a guy who could be around for a long time.

Fantastic finish and totally changed the game as a sub.

Could play a big role in the second half of the season.

Unbelievable moment for the young lad, and one that could foreshadow great things to come. The way he runs at FBs and isn't afraid to have the ball at his feet in the biggest moments bodes well. Loving everything I see from him.

This lad seems to have it all. Pace, strength, control and an eye for a goal.

I wouldn't be starting him every game just yet, but if he continues to perform like he has this last few games, he's gonna be the first name on the sheet.

Long may it continue.

Don't know if his contract is due, Madrid are telling him not to sign anything though

Don't know if his contract is due, Madrid are telling him not to sign anything though
He’s contracted until 2025. I have no doubts the powers that be are typing up a bumper new contract as we speak.

The story about his contract is tricky because his currently contract does expire in 2023 but Utd have the option to extend it to this season 2024 and then another option next season to extend to 2025. These options will be applied so he is under contract until 2025.

I expect given he's now broken into the first team and he's also over 18 that Utd will be looking to reward his progress with a better salary and also tie him down to a longer term deal. They won't want to rush this situation though and it'll probably be a deal they look to sort out at the end of the season.

I wonder if the delay in the contract is more down to ETH being unsure of his attitude and application and wondering how much a bumper new deal would impact his willingness to put the work in.

I wonder if this form from him had been three or four weeks before the WC, Argentina may have taken him to the WC as a wildcard pick.

Think the club have told all players that new contracts won’t be discussed until after the World Cup.

ETH wanted the focus on football for the first 6 months and time to properly assess the quality and character of his players.

There are a lot of contracts for the club to sort out over the next 18 months.

As it should be. Too often in the past, contracts have been given out for all the wrong reasons that have rewarded mediocrity and demotivated players. Having said that, get this kid signed up ASAP.

Recent unfounded criticism too. The kid is going to be a star if he keeps his head right. Why United supporters would get on his back beggars belief.

The expectancy of him has become so high, Giggs like expectancy, thats the trouble. The young man is a star in the making still learning his trade and he will get there.

Won't do him any harm staying as a super-sub till he grows into his body. But in 18 months, lock up your fullbacks ....

The criticism came from some youtuber tw*t who used to be a Spurs fan. He will say anything controversial to get people to watch his little youtube show.

Great goal and for now I think the impact sub role is perfect for him, go on and terrorise a knackered full back.

Had a brilliant game in general, was always willing to drive at their defence. It didn’t always come off because you can see sometimes his head is too fast for his feet but his goal was special. To be doing things like that at his age boxes very well for the future. He’s going to be a gem for many years to come.

Thought it was a tough night for him he didn't get much luck out of Johnson and West Ham crowded him out well but he stuck at the task and got the reward.

Sometimes as a winger you need to just keep going to get your reward when the defender makes a mistake you punish them.

Another positive is having played the full 90 minutes he still had the legs and composure to tuck his chance away.

I'm biased towards pacy tricky wingers who run at defenders and make things happen, but this kid has all the makings of a superstar. To pop up with late late winners doesn't happen by accident. He's going to be something special.

Hopefully just a precaution but never looks good when lads leave in one of them boots.

Shame for him as he’d probably had a good chance to start the next 2 games.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back