Aaron Wan-Bissaka | Match Discussion thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t think he was that bad drove forward well crossing is hit and miss but we know that’s a weakness in his game.

Put one on a plate for Periera who missed.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers - 1st February 2020

He frustrates me like no other player. He offers very little threat from wide areas and slows down attacking moves. He was given so much space yesterday but he failed to capitalise.

True but if Dalot takes that chance then it’s everyone saying he’s setup the winner he is setup the chance for Mata from just outside the box.

I agree he is a bit frustrating but I do think his attacking is getting better.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers - 1st February 2020

He frustrates me like no other player. He offers very little threat from wide areas and slows down attacking moves. He was given so much space yesterday but he failed to capitalise.
Bit harsh to say he offers little threat. I think his attacking play is improving and to be fair yesterday he was a one man band down the right. No-one was making runs for him as James and Mata just came inside. Most of the time he just had to try and beat his man and a lot of the time it didn’t come off. I think we are lucky to have him from a defensive point of view and of course his attacking play could be better but you can say that about most of our players right now.

he does seem to offer very little going forward. I think I would give Dalot a run.

It's something he's got to work on.

I mean the talk of dropping our best player this season is madness.

He literally dropped one on Dalot's head from 6 yards out on Saturday and he missed which means no assist which is why I maintain assist stats are nonsense.

Is Wan-Bissaka peak Dani Alves going forward no he isn't but he is nowhere near as bad as people make out going forward I'd say he's on par with someone like Kyle Walker who's considered good going forward and AWB is getting better at this.

Dalot needs to focus on staying fit with the Europa league back up and running shortly the squad will need to be used.

Rashford has been United’s best player this season.

Valencia was a better attacking full back but he was frequently criticised. Wan Bissaka struggles to beat an opponent and as a result slows down tempo by playing a short pass back/inside to a team mate plus his crossing is generally poor. He’s part of the problem. He is young but his improvement in an attacking sense will be minimal.

In terms of consistency I think AWB is in the conversation for POTY he's barely had a bad game for the team.

Valencia was a converted winger who's attacking output was mainly smashing the ball into the first man and dying on his backside after 60 minutes in his final years.

Why won't AWB continue to improve his attacking? He's in his early 20's I'd say in 6 months he's already improved quite a bit from where he started.

We can also overlook the fact he is a ridiculously good defender one vs one he's probably the best full back in the league.

Valencia was a better attacking full back but he was frequently criticised. Wan Bissaka struggles to beat an opponent and as a result slows down tempo by playing a short pass back/inside to a team mate plus his crossing is generally poor. He’s part of the problem. He is young but his improvement in an attacking sense will be minimal.
Rubbish to be honest. Whose to know how well he will improve as an attacking full back? He may not improve that much but he has the ingredients to improve his attacking play ten fold. He is for me already one of the best defensive right backs in the Europe, you very rarely see him get the better of. Also to be honest he does beat the full back a fair bit but is crossing is at times wayward or there is no-one in the box to get on the end of crosses. There are many many more problems before AWB even comes into the debate. I think he’s been a very good signing, especially as his premier league experience before this year has been minimal.

Rashford has been very good in patches, AWB has been consistent all season.

In terms of consistency I think AWB is in the conversation for POTY he's barely had a bad game for the team.

Valencia was a converted winger who's attacking output was mainly smashing the ball into the first man and dying on his backside after 60 minutes in his final years.

Why won't AWB continue to improve his attacking? He's in his early 20's I'd say in 6 months he's already improved quite a bit from where he started.

We can also overlook the fact he is a ridiculously good defender one vs one he's probably the best full back in the league.
I think hes been one of a handful of players who have been fairly positive in an otherwise poor season so far.

I think it’s a mental thing with AWB. He has the ability but he does look for the easy option too often. Also needs to be encouraged to play 10 yards further forwards. A few times he should be making the outside run for Fernandes but he just stops when he catches up with play.

Rashford was awful until about the November internationals. But his form since has probably elevated him above AWB. Rashford AWB Fred is how i’d rate them atm.

Rubbish to be honest. Whose to know how well he will improve as an attacking full back? He may not improve that much but he has the ingredients to improve his attacking play ten fold. He is for me already one of the best defensive right backs in the Europe, you very rarely see him get the better of. Also to be honest he does beat the full back a fair bit but is crossing is at times wayward or there is no-one in the box to get on the end of crosses. There are many many more problems before AWB even comes into the debate. I think he’s been a very good signing, especially as his premier league experience before this year has been minimal.

Rashford has been very good in patches, AWB has been consistent all season.

Time will tell. What are the ingredients? Stating the obvious but the role of the attacking full back in modern football cannot be underestimated. Williams has made a noticeable difference to the left hand side. He looks a proper modern full back.

Rashford has comfortably been the best player. He has been the shining light in a team short of ideas and devoid of attacking quality. Fred second, Wan Bissaka third. Struggling to name other players.

Time will tell. What are the ingredients? Stating the obvious but the role of the attacking full back in modern football cannot be underestimated. Williams has made a noticeable difference to the left hand side. He looks a proper modern full back.

Rashford has comfortably been the best player. He has been the shining light in a team short of ideas and devoid of attacking quality. Fred second, Wan Bissaka third. Struggling to name other players.
I'd lump McTominay and Williams in there too.

He is a top defender. Once we buy Sancho he can concentrate on what he is good at.

He is a top defender. Once we buy Sancho he can concentrate on what he is good at.

Hopefully United do buy Sancho, however a full back should be capable of both defending and attacking, especially at a club like United. He would start in bigger games, but I would like a full back who will offer more in attack in games that United are likely to dominate.

I think with good coaching his attacking will improve as a young player he was a winger he moved to full back after he trained with the first team at Palace I just think it needs a bit of nurturing.

I think he needs to develop some long range shooting ability and I honestly don’t think his crossing is that bad we just don’t have players who look to score from crosses either attackers or midfielders. I think crossing is a skill that can be easily learned practise makes perfect so he just needs to put the hours in.

This guy will never be Trent alexander-Arnold you won’t see him taking corners and free kicks anytime soon but I think he could easily turn into an Ashley Cole style full back 10/10 defender 7/10 attacker type full back.

Hopefully United do buy Sancho, however a full back should be capable of both defending and attacking, especially at a club like United. He would start in bigger games, but I would like a full back who will offer more in attack in games that United are likely to dominate.
My thoughts exactly. A modern full back needs to be able to attack, especially at a club who hope to compete for trophies and titles.

My thoughts exactly. A modern full back needs to be able to attack, especially at a club who hope to compete for trophies and titles.
I don't disagree but my point is the signing of AWB has not sufficiently addressed our lack of threat from the RW. We still need to get a top notch right winger on board

The criticisms AWB gets are baffling, it’s not like he gets to the byline and falls over. The last month or two I have seen a drastic improvement in his attacking play. Let’s not forget this is his second full season in the league. He’s already for me one of the very best defensively, let him grow in his attacking role. Basically right now he is roaming the right side all by himself, once he gets help from say a Sancho I think it’ll be a deadly right side both offensively and defensively. He’s been one of our best players this season. It’s absolute rubbish he should be getting one ounce of criticism.

Reactions: jsp
It’s absolute
I mean I don't quite agree there. You spend that much on a full back in this day and age I think you expect more in an attacking sense. I'm a huge AWB fan but I'd like to see more going forwards.

I mean I don't quite agree there. You spend that much on a full back in this day and age I think you expect more in an attacking sense. I'm a huge AWB fan but I'd like to see more going forwards.

As SuperRash said, it's difficult to criticise AWB when he gets no help on the right side.

Say what you like about him , if he had proper support on that side then he would own it is there a better RB in the world at tackling then this man? He’s a beast 1v1 even when you think he’s beat he slides from behind and gets the ball!

I think with good coaching his attacking will improve as a young player he was a winger he moved to full back after he trained with the first team at Palace I just think it needs a bit of nurturing.

I think he needs to develop some long range shooting ability and I honestly don’t think his crossing is that bad we just don’t have players who look to score from crosses either attackers or midfielders. I think crossing is a skill that can be easily learned practise makes perfect so he just needs to put the hours in.

This guy will never be Trent alexander-Arnold you won’t see him taking corners and free kicks anytime soon but I think he could easily turn into an Ashley Cole style full back 10/10 defender 7/10 attacker type full back.
Now that would be something we could do with too. I think with a little bit more coaching he’s going to be a real asset to us. I'm pleased with how hes done so far.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Manchester City - 8th March 2020

He’s got Sterling’s number.

He also showed a few nice touches going forward. Was destroying that right hand side!

Not sure Sterling really suits the left side to be honest always saw him being more dangerous on the right but AWB has his number and Sterling has this weird problem scoring against Utd never scored a goal against us always seems to bottle great chances as well.

Must be draining as a winger knowing the full back has totally got your number.

Big bonus is his weakness which is going forward is getting better and better he'll probably never be a world class attacking full back but he's getting better all the time.

Never realised he'd never scored against us. 0 goals in 17 games against us.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Got to be a shoe-in for the next England squad right? TAA will obviously be the number one because of his performances for Liverpool this season even though AWB is far superior defensively. Walker is done I think as a right back for England, don’t think Gareth will go back to him. No idea how Trippier is doing for Atletico. So it’s only between TAA, AWB and Trippier I would say for the Euro’s (if they go ahead).

Got to be a shoe-in for the next England squad right? TAA will obviously be the number one because of his performances for Liverpool this season even though AWB is far superior defensively. Walker is done I think as a right back for England, don’t think Gareth will go back to him. No idea how Trippier is doing for Atletico. So it’s only between TAA, AWB and Trippier I would say for the Euro’s (if they go ahead).

Think Southgate has said he’s not ruling out Walker just said he knows what he gets from him and wanted to take a look at others.

It’s clearly TAA plus one other I think AWB has a great chance hard to see how he doesn’t impress but Southgate is pretty loyal to his guys and Trippier seems to be one he likes and trusts as he’s never really let him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back