Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome once again, handled Sinclair well and was unlucky not to score at the end.

Jones has broken his cheekbone from The Mirror. Fergie did say Jones is going for an x-ray today.

Yeah heard that straight after the game that it was a suspected broken cheekbone. Apparently its 6 weeks out if true. I'm sure that some players have played with broken cheekbones, wearing one of those mask things? Pretty sure Terry wore one a few years ago for a broken cheekbone and Ameobi did last season.

I'd suspect he'll miss the next game and probably the one after but can see him being back in the new year. Cleverley can't be far off a return either. The next 2 home games we have, we should be able to cope with just Carrick and Giggs... SHOULD.

Edit: Rumour- Phil Jones has had a scan on his cheek today and early indications are that its just bruising.

Hope that's true could really do without another injury, surely still have concussion and miss a few games regardless of the cheekbone diagnosis?

Cleverley is back training so should be back early Jan, can't see him starting away at Newcastle or the City game if he's short of match fitness so might have to wait till Bolton at home on the 14th.

Good option off the bench hopefully, like the Community Shield.

Fergie: "Phil should be okay for Monday. There's a bit of swelling in his jaw but no break, no fracture, which is good news."

Good stuff.

Jaw injuries are the most painful thing, I thought i'd broken mine once in a rugby game, that was painful enough, i'd hate to actually have a broken jaw.

Anyway, great news, I think he'll probably be rested though, Giggs can probably play again for 60 or so, there's good breaks between game's this christmas so he should be good to go. Rafael will hopefully play at RB instead of Jones with Smalling continuing at CB, I read that Rafael did well yesterday and looks ready to play.

Now I know why Rooney calls him Quagmire... massive jaw!

Glenn_Quagmire.png

Not the best showing for Jones. He looked raw today and has done on a couple of occasions at the heart of defence. I still think central defence is his long term position and he will become a world class defender. At the moment it may be best if he played right back or centre mid.

Bossed by Yakubu. Didn't everyone think Roy Keane would end up at CB when he was a kid...

He was poor. Don't think he got a lot of support off Carrick or Evra tbh. He's extremely talented but he's only 19, he can't be expected to handle a beast like Yakubu by himself.

Played 5 at CB - Won 1, Drawn 1, Lost 3.

Is that stat correct? I make it played 8 - won 5, drawn 3, lost 1

V Spurs - w
V Arsenal - w
V Chelsea - w
V Stoke - d
V Basel - d
V Norwich - w
V Aldershot - w
V Benfica - d
V Blavkburn - l

I've done quickly so correct me if I am wrong.

Quite right mate, I was told this stat, missed out the first 3 and Aldershot. I meant Won 1, drawn 3, lost 1 in my previous post by the way.

I think the stats don't paint the whole picture. He hasn't looked as good at centre back (still pretty impressive for a 19 year old) as he has at right back and midfield imo. For me he is the weakest of our centre backs purely because he is so inexperience and headstrong. I do think his future is at CB but he's still a season or 2 away from the same level as Smalling and Evans.

Yeah regardless of the stats, since those first 3 games, he's looked a bit of a shambles when played at CB. Basel at home for one.

Shambles is excessive. I'd say he's had two less than convincing showings against Basel (Evra was worse in this game) and today's game. Apart from those two he's done okay, but his showings have deteriorated and haven't reached the level of performance in the 2-3 games in midfield. Those first three games at centre back were against Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea while his better midfield showings have come against Aston Villa, QPR and Wolves. The standard of opposition is a point worth considering. Using stats is dangerous territory. Stats don't take into account mistakes from others such as Berbatov's pen today and De Gea's nightmare moment from today's game.

Jones has the potential to become a very good midfielder but I think he will become an even better defender. For this season, without having the opportunity to play alongside Vidic, midfield or right back is the better option for sure.

I actually thought Jones was okay tonight, barring the own goal. I still believe his future lies at the heart of defence. Aspects if his game obviously require improving but you woul expect that for a 19 year old.

Jumped to early when challenging for a header that led to the first goal. Poor defending to give away a free kick that led to the 2nd. Own goal.

We would have fared better tonight with him in midfield. Giggs was poor and Carrick was left on his own against a very good midfield of Tiote and Cabaye. Couldn't play him in midfield though because of injuries.

He is the weakest of our 5 centre backs, by some distance in my opinion. I still think he will end up as a centre back but he is starting to give me doubts. He really struggled against Yakubu and Ba, but to put it in perspective so have many Premier League defenders with considerably more experience than Jones.

Hopefully the press will take him off his pedestal and give him a bit of peace and quiet to develop in. I really don't understand why Jones has received so much hype whilst Smalling has barely been mentioned.

According to his club profile he is. I'm not a great judge of height but he does look taller.

His worst performances have come at cb. Mistakes there can have much bigger repercussions, but the only way he's going to get better is by playing there regulary.

I don’t think Jones was that bad last night.

1st goal – Could Jones hone done better? Yes. Fantastic strike from Ba but could Ferdinand have been tighter?
2nd goal – Vidic (and all central defenders) has committed numerous fouls of a similar nature when flat footed. Fantastic strike.
3rd goal – terrible from Jones.

I think he has been written off far too quickly as a centre back, because of a few good games in midfield, against teams that will be involved in a relegation scrap. Would you say his three worst games at centre back have been against Basel, Blackburn and Newcastle? His partner in those games were Carrick and Ferdinand. Ferdinand nor Carrick are dominant in the air – Jones has been asked to be the dominant one. The Jones/Ferdinand partnership is similar to the Evans/Vidic partnership. Put Jones next to a Vidic, Smalling or Evans (a dominant in the air central defender) and you will see a better showing from him.

Not Jones' best showing - he needs a rest. 19 and 22 appearances in his first at a club like United is incredible really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back