Status
Not open for further replies.
[youtube]YLcAxygu6bI[/youtube]
[youtube]UK4WYBqnoEk[/youtube]

A couple dodgy passes but apart from that he was a beast excellent run for Rooney's tap in. Never gave up.

Thought he was very good tonight. Made some fantastic runs. Could have done better against Crouch on a couple of crosses but I think most defenders would struggle against a lad 7 inches taller than you.

Better against Norwich - better balance with attack and defence - quick learner. He made two goal scoring tackles.

Evans and he covered each others mistakes well, we were making the same mistakes as we did against Basel, everyone getting forward and leaving the Cb's with too much space to cover on a counter attack!

The only comparison you can make at this moment in time is that they both wore a united shirt......way too soon .

What really narks me about the comparison is that people my age are calling him the new Duncan Edwards having never seen Duncan Edwards play. I saw someone the other day actually say "He reminds me of Duncan Edwards", he was a few years older than me. People like Paddy Crerand, Sir Bobby and a few others have suggested it but I don't see how people who haver never seen Duncan Edwards (apart from some videos on youtube) play can suggest that. To me, he is just Phil Jones, i've never seen such an attacking centre back who is also excellent defensively, and so young too.

Don't think it's fair on Jones or on Edwards to be comparing the two. Never seen Edwards but from what I hear he was the best player to ever play for the club so it's a ridiculous comparison. The British press are comprised of idiots though.... Tony Cascarino claiming Cristiano Ronaldo was a better player than George Best for example. I don't like when the media compare players from different era's.

epic

iA1KUdP5VMZ7N.gif

What really narks me about the comparison is that people my age are calling him the new Duncan Edwards having never seen Duncan Edwards play. I saw someone the other day actually say "He reminds me of Duncan Edwards", he was a few years older than me. People like Paddy Crerand, Sir Bobby and a few others have suggested it but I don't see how people who haver never seen Duncan Edwards (apart from some videos on youtube) play can suggest that. To me, he is just Phil Jones, i've never seen such an attacking centre back who is also excellent defensively, and so young too.

Couldn't agree more. It is ridiculous to compare players from different era's etc. When Jones signed I seen a lot of people on twitter comparing him to Vidic then only recently it was Desailly and now it's Duncan Edwards. I never seen Edwards play as I am only 24 but I seen footage on MUTV and the internet in general and I also read a lot of articles and history books that detailed his career with Utd. I would never compare players from different era's.

Regarding the game yesterday, Jones played really well considering how open we were.

Jones was good yesterday, made a few mistakes and also a few game saving tackles! He and Evans together were excellent. covered the other player's mistakes well.

Sir Alex will have some tough choices to make once Vidic, Smalling, Rafael are back to full fitness too. neither Jones nor Evans deserve to be dropped.

For me he's been the stand out player for us this season.

All the youngsters have stood out so far this season. Jones, Evans, Smalling, Welbeck and Cleverley. Welbeck has been the real revelation for me, though he was injured for a few weeks, he's picked up where he left off, developing into a brilliant striker. did not expect him to do so well this season!

Don't think it's fair on Jones or on Edwards to be comparing the two. Never seen Edwards but from what I hear he was the best player to ever play for the club so it's a ridiculous comparison. The British press are comprised of idiots though.... Tony Cascarino claiming Cristiano Ronaldo was a better player than George Best for example. I don't like when the media compare players from different era's.

I couldn't agree more than what you've said, but as far as Ronaldo being better than Besty there is one comparison I would like too make and that is Besty could have played in this era and loved it... Ronaldo as good as he was for United, couldn't, wouldn't have been able to take the stick Georgey took week in week out and play every week. He'd have his hospital bed booked by 3.05... lol

Not convinced by Jones in midfield. His least impressive showing since joining United for my money. Liverpool is a tough baptism however.

Not impressed with him today. The midfield formation doesn't helped him either. Certainly he'll be a defender for us, but i'd like to see him playing another match in midfield, mainly with a better formation

Certainly worked hard and tried to make things happen but it wasnt working today surprised it was him as a box to box palyer and not playing dm instead of fletcher. Jones sitting deep with Ando and Cleveley would/could be epic.

He looked lost for my money - expected, he is a defender not a midfielder. He didn't know the positions of an experienced midfielder accustomed with the role. People have got carried with his forward runs for my money, thinking he can play in midfield. When he brings the ball out from defence his a free man but when selected in midfield he will have an opposition midfielder marking him.

Wasn't the best game to try him in that position, I think we'll see him there again as Vida is back now.

Good performance at RB today, prefer him to Smalling at RB.

I'd go along with that. Jones looks the more natural footballer with ball at feet.

Phil Jones feels United showed their worth at Everton - Official Manchester United Website

Phil Jones believes United showed what the club is all about with a gritty 1-0 triumph at Everton.

The defender produced a solid performance at right-back and played his part in a resolute rearguard action towards the end, helping to answer all the questions posed by David Moyes' team. After the derby drubbing last weekend, victory at Goodison for the first time since 2007 was the perfect tonic for the champions.

"Everyone showed today what Manchester United are about," stressed Jones to MUTV. "It was a bad day at the office last week but we've shown fantastic team spirit in training, got our heads up and picked ourselves up quickly.

"This is a massive win for us today and we're delighted in the changing room.

"It was tough and we expected it from Everton because of previous years of coming here. It was mad [at the end] and we had to defend it but we did that and, thankfully, got the three points.

"It's very nice as a defender [to get a clean sheet]. Defensively as a unit, I thought 11 players defended and not just four. 11 players defended terrifically well. They were throwing the kitchen sink at us today and I thought we stood strong as a unit and held together."

Jones was pleased to welcome Nemanja Vidic back into Barclays Premier League action as the Serbian powerhouse helped organise the defence.

"He's our captain and you don't want to go without your captain," added the ex-Blackburn defender. "He showed his determination and grit today and it wears off on everyone else."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was very good tonight one of the only good things actually

His showings are making it difficult for Fergie to leave him out of the team.

Very good at RB again. Funny how his only reluctance to join was that he didn't think he'd get enough games yet he's made the most appearances out of everyone this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back