Rasmus Højlund | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

Hopefully that penalty gives Hojlund a bit of a kick start he looked to be lacking a bit of confidence in his finishing but the ball hitting the net might be what he needs to get him back to the sort of form we were seeing after Christmas.

His link up play is improving but he's often so isolated 2 vs 1 against the centre backs and getting the ball launched into him doesn't give him much chance.

Not an easy side to play centre forward for at the moment.

I think one came over, think it was Onana.

The rest hovered about the centre circle looking pretty sheepish.

Antony might have made it once he'd finished taunting the Coventry players... what a tit that lad is.

Not reading anything into it, but usually the player who scores the winning penalty is mobbed, but as I say the camera cut away sharpish ,,,,

Didn't/haven't seen it, and if the Coventry players were giving him it during the game good on him. I'd have done the same ....

Not reading anything into it, but usually the player who scores the winning penalty is mobbed, but as I say the camera cut away sharpish ,,,,

Didn't/haven't seen it, and if the Coventry players were giving him it during the game good on him. I'd have done the same ....

Yeah felt like they were a touch embarrassed about the whole situation.

I think if you are going to deploy those sort of tactics you need to be the one who's delivered the final blow to knock them out.

Yeah felt like they were a touch embarrassed about the whole situation.

I think if you are going to deploy those sort of tactics you need to be the one who's delivered the final blow to knock them out.

Yeah getting to 3 out of the last 4 domestic finals, embarrassing stuff ....

Yeah getting to 3 out of the last 4 domestic finals, embarrassing stuff ....

I think in the moment you probably aren't thinking about the other 2 finals.

You've blown a 3-0 lead against a championship side. You've almost gone down in history as by far the biggest bottle job ever seen in a semi final. You probably breath out a sigh of relief, go over and apologise to the fans then get off the pitch with your tail between your legs.

I think in the moment you probably aren't thinking about the other 2 finals.

You've blown a 3-0 lead against a championship side. You've almost gone down in history as by far the biggest bottle job ever seen in a semi final. You probably breath out a sigh of relief, go over and apologise to the fans then get off the pitch with your tail between your legs.

Ah almost, it's football, shit happens, you still celebrate ffs

Coventry were only spot-kicks away from being a Premier League side, the way some are going on you'd think we'd had a massive scare against a non-League side.

Coventry were only spot-kicks away from being a Premier League side, the way some are going on you'd think we'd had a massive scare against a non-League side.

Yeah games can be crazy but sometimes you breath a sigh of relief rather than go nuts and celebrate. Was quite funny seeing how many seats were empty in the Utd end by the shootout. A few thousand must have either stayed no the concourse or were out of the ground before the VAR decision came through.

Since then their two best players left and they've had to rebuild again probably just going to miss the playoffs again. We'll probably be getting linked to their former striker this summer.

Yeah games can be crazy but sometimes you breath a sigh of relief rather than go nuts and celebrate. Was quite funny seeing how many seats were empty in the Utd end by the shootout. A few thousand must have either stayed no the concourse or were out of the ground before the VAR decision came through.

Since then their two best players left and they've had to rebuild again probably just going to miss the playoffs again. We'll probably be getting linked to their former striker this summer.

Was impressed with him last year, think Sporting Club is his level though.

True they were… But this year they are 8th in the Championship and only a few years ago almost went out of existence. There should be a chasm between the two teams and yet there wasn’t.

No there wasn't and United looked like a championship side at the end. The responsibility lies with ETH. Either the players are not listening to him or he is too stuck up. He should drop any player who is not following his instructions. This is not just one match. This happens always and Rashford should be dropped and yes we may not have a player to replace him but he has become a liability to the team now.

I thought no one passed to Rasmus and I am wondering why?

True they were… But this year they are 8th in the Championship and only a few years ago almost went out of existence. There should be a chasm between the two teams and yet there wasn’t.

The first 70 minutes there was, it was only after EtH asked the players to coast at that time with Wednesday in mind that Coventry got back into it, and once they did what happened was always likely to happen - thems the gambles you take.

Sounds like Hojlund has been crying to ETH that Bruno doesn't pass to him.

even though they were rightly embarrased, they still should have gone over to Hojlund. Something isn't right

The first 70 minutes there was, it was only after EtH asked the players to coast at that time with Wednesday in mind that Coventry got back into it, and once they did what happened was always likely to happen - thems the gambles you take.
But that I’m itself surely is a damning indictment of the manager and players? Why couldn’t they coast whilst keeping control?

Last week I watched my team Southampton go 3-0 up against Preston and coast the second half. They controlled the ball and didn’t give Preston a sniff.

I don't think there was a clear chasm for the first 70 mins.

First 45 we had a lot of the ball but really struggled, where you see city opening teams up with possesion, we just passed it around. Didn't really create any chances until the superb move that created the goal.

Second half Cov changed and they had lots of pession and chances. ETH didn't react t that change.

Not sure you can call it crying we don't know the context of their conversation or if that conversation even happened.

If I'm the centre forward at Man Utd and I'm getting no service from my wingers or creative players I'd be asking the manager to sort it out.

The video of no one going to celebrate with him after scoring the penalty is quite funny but again I would read to much into it.

I know this much, I used to play up front and I`d hate to play in this team at the moment as a striker.

But that I’m itself surely is a damning indictment of the manager and players? Why couldn’t they coast whilst keeping control?

Last week I watched my team Southampton go 3-0 up against Preston and coast the second half. They controlled the ball and didn’t give Preston a sniff.

That was probably the plan ....

Sure you heard the saying no two games are the same ....

Same, run around doing all the pressing, battle for scraps off long balls up against two centre halfs then watch your winger try and beat 3 men and score a worldie every time he gets the ball.

He gets so few chances in a game because everything is setup for the wide players.

That was probably the plan ....

Sure you heard the saying no two games are the same ....
Of course and look many teams control some games but occasionally let it slip or make it closer than it should. But United don’t ever manage and control games. And against a team in the league below who are 8th in that league they should have comfortably seen the game out.

Of course and look many teams control some games but occasionally let it slip or make it closer than it should. But United don’t ever manage and control games. And against a team in the league below who are 8th in that league they should have comfortably seen the game out.

United are a patched-up team low on confidence playing against a team with nothing to lose who had been focusing on this game for a month(United didn't have that luxury) on a tiring pitch, once the wheels start to come off it's practically impossible to stop what happened happening, we had chances to make it 4-1 which would have floored Coventry but we didn't take them, and I wasn't surprised it went to 3-3

Just glad we won.

United are a patched-up team low on confidence playing against a team with nothing to lose who had been focusing on this game for a month(United didn't have that luxury) on a tiring pitch, once the wheels start to come off it's practically impossible to stop what happened happening, we had chances to make it 4-1 which would have floored Coventry but we didn't take them, and I wasn't surprised it went to 3-3

Just glad we won.
I admire your rose tinted glasses take on this. It is seriously impressive and on that basis I’m not going to continue to debate.

I think a lot of you are missing the point. You cannot control the game if you do not have players who can pass under pressure and more importantly keep possession under huge pressure from the opposition. Especially Bruno as the AM. We have two wingers who are direct and one who is a waste of space and frankly I would rather have Dan James than this version of Rashford. In the second half when they attacked we had so much space to play players in yet we never did. I know Bruno is our best player but that itself creates more problems because he cannot control the pace of the game and never has.

Same, run around doing all the pressing, battle for scraps off long balls up against two centre halfs then watch your winger try and beat 3 men and score a worldie every time he gets the ball.

He gets so few chances in a game because everything is setup for the wide players.
he's got poor touch and poor decision making too.

Rashford isn't the fault for everything at the club

he's got poor touch and poor decision making too.

Rashford isn't the fault for everything at the club

No he isn't the list is very long at the moment but Rashford as one of the top earners who took the big money contract in the summer that comes with responsibility to be at your best each week and be a leader and right now I just don't see that with him.

Rashford in my opinion is playing like a player desperate for a goal to help his own confidence rather than thinking about helping the team score. He's always had this in his game he's quite a selfish player with the ball because he can do amazing things but he's never added that other side of the game which is using those skills to help create chances for others. He needs to start playing for the team and not just himself.

As for Hojlund I don't disagree there are flaws in his game we knew he was raw when we signed him and it's going to take a bit of time and patience with him but hopefully they stick with him. Get another striker in for next season to help reduce the physical burden on him but also put pressure on his spot in the team when he isn't performing.

That said the team need to help create some chances for him as right now he looks so isolated from the rest of the team nothing seems to connect together.

No he isn't the list is very long at the moment but Rashford as one of the top earners who took the big money contract in the summer that comes with responsibility to be at your best each week and be a leader and right now I just don't see that with him.

Rashford in my opinion is playing like a player desperate for a goal to help his own confidence rather than thinking about helping the team score. He's always had this in his game he's quite a selfish player with the ball because he can do amazing things but he's never added that other side of the game which is using those skills to help create chances for others. He needs to start playing for the team and not just himself.

As for Hojlund I don't disagree there are flaws in his game we knew he was raw when we signed him and it's going to take a bit of time and patience with him but hopefully they stick with him. Get another striker in for next season to help reduce the physical burden on him but also put pressure on his spot in the team when he isn't performing.

That said the team need to help create some chances for him as right now he looks so isolated from the rest of the team nothing seems to connect together.

Look at the RVP case at United. SAF told the other guys that if they do not pass to him or create chances he would drop them. I see nothing in ETH helping out his new striker. Day in and Day out we see the same selfish attitudes from other players. But nothing from Ten Hag.

Week in week out nothing changes, we are having record numbers of shots against, creating nothing for the CF, the midfIeld is all over the place, wingers offer nothing…not that Rashford is a winger, looks like Eth sends them out and hopes for the best.

Week in week out nothing changes, we are having record numbers of shots against, creating nothing for the CF, the midfIeld is all over the place, wingers offer nothing…not that Rashford is a winger, looks like Eth sends them out and hopes for the best.
I cannot remember who said it but this was about Bruno. He was a former player and he said Bruno works very hard and can score outstanding goals but his running all over the place is one of the major reasons why we get so open when defending. He is all over the place and opens up space for the opponents and forces his team mates to go into spaces they do not want to be drawn in.

I cannot remember who said it but this was about Bruno. He was a former player and he said Bruno works very hard and can score outstanding goals but his running all over the place is one of the major reasons why we get so open when defending. He is all over the place and opens up space for the opponents and forces his team mates to go into spaces they do not want to be drawn in.
That is basically the player he's always been - a #10 with no brain, in terms of defending. It's problematic because now his end product is nothing like it used to be therefore making that sacrifice almost pointless.

That is basically the player he's always been - a #10 with no brain, in terms of defending. It's problematic because now his end product is nothing like it used to be therefore making that sacrifice almost pointless.
I agree with that and he needs to stop running to left and right wings and the keeper. When he does that neither Rashford nor Garnacho covers the space he vacates. If he only runs the width of the goal up and down he and the team would benefit a lot more.

Scholes ripped into Bruno a few weeks ago it might have been him.

I agree with that and he needs to stop running to left and right wings and the keeper. When he does that neither Rashford nor Garnacho covers the space he vacates. If he only runs the width of the goal up and down he and the team would benefit a lot more.
I also think good managers exploit that too, if we can see the problem, so can they.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back