Rasmus Højlund | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

SuperRash

A shame we won’t see him in the first few games but really excited to see what this lad can go for us. There has been a lot of talk about the fee so he will have some pressure on his back but hopefully he can step and not hang back in the shadows.

seen nothing to show this boy is going to be the player we need to bag 20 plus goals a season.

But good luck to him, i hope he succeeds. A united fan too

Just got to hope our scouts have spotted something with this kid.

My guess is they feel that physically you don't get many lads at 20 with his speed and size but there's going to be a lot of time required.

I mean what is realistic for him next season 15-20 in all competitions?

It does feel like this lad needs a more senior striker around to help him through the next few seasons as it can't all be on this guy.

How much time is he going to miss? You’ve got to feel United need to bring in a more experienced striker to help him develop and to give him that time.

Last thing I saw was it was a few weeks before he can start training fully so we will hopefully see him before the first international break which is after the league game with Arsenal on 3rd September.

Think there will be 4 league games plus maybe a league cup game before that first international break.

Ouch that’s going to be really tough for United to get through with no recognised striker. Definitely feels like they need to do more business in the transfer market even though that seems unlikely (unless they sell).

Well there's Rashford and maybe Martial.

I mean what is realistic for him next season 15-20 in all competitions?
He's got to be scoring 20 plus, because that's what we need. We need a goal scorer. And if he's not the player to do that, it's not his fault.

A lot pressure on him, poor boy.

A shame we won’t see him in the first few games but really excited to see what this lad can go for us. There has been a lot of talk about the fee so he will have some pressure on his back but hopefully he can step and not hang back in the shadows.
I’m absolutely shocked that no-one has picked up and commented on my musical reference!

Disappointed!

He's got to be scoring 20 plus, because that's what we need. We need a goal scorer. And if he's not the player to do that, it's not his fault.

He's unlikely to take penalties and I doubt he'll even start every game so 20 plus is going to be a big ask.

Think people's expectations are being clouded by the price, he's a kid if we can get close to 20 from him I think that's a great season.

ok, then why buy him.

Everybody, including you, have been banging on about how we need a striker, I assume to score goals.

If he's not that player, then fine, we still need a striker.

The pressure on him will be huge, because we have played 70 odd million and really said, he is that player.

This has been my problem with this signing all along, his record does not say he's going to be that player that we need. Maybe he will in 3 seasons, but thats no good to us this season.

Like I said, I sure hope he proves me wrong, I would love nothing better than for him to score a shed load. But even if he doesn't, that's not down to him.

No. He's 20 years old. He doesn't not need to be scoring 20 goals a season. Was Rooney a poor signing because he didn't score 20 goals in his first 4 seasons?

As my post above, so he's one for the future. Doesn't solve our current problem, so we still need a striker.

As my post above, so he's one for the future. Doesn't solve our current problem, so we still need a striker.

But you also said 'Why buy him?' think we shouldn't future proof.

we all know the club is way short of goals, joint 7th in the top 10 I think, could be sixth, City and Arsenal scoring 20 odd goals more. We all know we need someone to score goals. It's been a huge problem.

the club have bought Hojlund, so I assume that is their answer to our problem. In which case, he needs to be scoring goals, and lots of them.

If he isn't the answer then fine, we still need a striker.

The point I have been trying to make about him, is his history does not point at the person to solve our goal scoring problem next season and getting us those extra 20 odd goals.

I think if we get a striker who comes in and scores 15-20 goals then we are very much better off. We achieved what we did last year with no striker basically and the burden was falling on Rashford.

If Hojlund can contribute a good tally and Rashford continues his good form, then we are in pretty good shape this season.

I think we potentially do need another striker to ease the burden on Hojlund but also our midfielders also need to contribute more goals. Antony scores some worldies but he needs to add more.

I’m guessing we’ve bought him because we can’t afford Osihmen or Kane not only bigger transfer fees but much bigger wages and agent fees.

We have gambled on a young player who next season might be 15-20 goals but the season after 20-25 then 25-30 after if all goes well. I guess they hope a proper number 9 that isn’t a) injured all the time or b) Weghorst might get more out of others around him too, he is apparently good at linking with his team mates and holding up the ball. As long as the team is scoring more goals it doesn’t really matter where they come from.

Maybe they feel this signing doesn’t rule out Kane on a free next summer if his contract expires.

Then there’s a potential Greenwood return which gives another striker option.

It is a gamble let’s hope it pays off but those who watch Italian football and write about it seem to agree he has all the tools required to become a top player.

Poor lad hasn't even kicked a ball for United yet and we're already up to 18 posts.

Only on Stretford End Arising ....

Guys please refrain from discussing a player in a discussion form. Already at 18 posts - calm down!

(I know it’s a match discussion thread but is also for general discussion)

It's peculiar

I thought we needed a player to get us 20 goals, and the club bought him, which was my problem with him I don't see that in him. Some on here don't expect him to score many goals and is one for the future.

So we are back to where we were, who is going to score our goals. We need a striker

Well he needs to do more than Ronaldo/Weghorst managed last season between them which was probably about 10 goals.

The squad lacked a proper number 9 which is what this lad is even if he's still learning. He apparently needs to work on his heading ability which is a weakness in his game but from the scouting reports he's very good at getting across his man on the front post to score from crosses and also he's good 1 vs 1.

As a team we've got to score more goals next season so that means Hojlund needs to make a decent contribution but Rashford aside everyone else needs to do more.

I don't think it's that simple teams have won leagues with centre forwards that don't get loads of goals.

Liverpool for years had Firmino and City won in 1 year with no striker. In these cases you need wide players that contribute lots of goals.

But they score buckets, we don't, we've got post after post on here saying we need a striker to get us goals. The amount of chances we miss etc.

I can only assume Greenwood will be making his way back into the team

edit:
and to appease @Justin Cider this chat should probably be moved to the other thread

I wouldn't be shocked if Hojlund got 15+ in the league. We do create a lot of chances he'll have never played with anyone as good as Bruno behind him. His movement is fantastic and his pace will light up Bruno's eyes.

But I'm just saying we shouldn't be putting all the pressure on this kid it takes time to adapt to a new league and he's still learning his trade.

I don't think it really matters where the goals come from as long as they're coming and I think ideally you want to spread them around. You don't want all your goals going through 1 player you need 4 or 5 guys making regular contributions and getting into double figures.

To win the league you need to be scoring 100 goals now as you need 90+ points to get ahead of City.

Hojlund is basically the Ronaldo/Weghorst replacement. Between those two in the league they scored 1 goal last season.

Hojlund is basically the Ronaldo/Weghorst replacement. Between those two in the league they scored 1 goal last season.
sorry, but this is nonsense, he has not been brought in to score 1 goal. We are a good 20 or 30 goals short, and surely our new striker has been brought in to bridge that gap, otherwise we need a new striker......still

sorry, but this is nonsense, he has not been brought in to score 1 goal. We are a good 20 or 30 goals short, and surely our new striker has been brought in to bridge that gap, otherwise we need a new striker......still

He didn't say he was brought in to score one goal he pointed out that the players he's replacing managed 1 goal between em.

He doesn't need to get 20+ he needs to improve the goals numbers we get. We should also get more goals because he isn't a statue and his movement will open space for others it's not just about the goals he personally scores.

ah ok, we must have different views on strikers. I expect them to score.

I guess no point carrying this on :)

His goals per minute for Atalanta and Denmark is actually pretty good and a lot better than a lot of EPL strikers/attacking midfielders.

9 in 32 for Atalanta doesn’t look fantastic on the face of it but just a smidge below a third of those were sub appearances. Plus he was getting to grips with a tougher league and Atalanta wouldn’t be creating as many chances as we do.

Also how many times last season we did see Ronaldo or Weghorst fluff easy chances? If Hojlund scores just a portion of those then he’ll be just fine. Plus @IDFD point about his overall play is valid as his pace and movement will also create goals for others.

yes, I think Onana will mean we create more too, I get that.

The point was he needs to score more than 1 goal for an overall gain on the player(s) he's replaced from the squad we had last season, not exactly set the bar that high have we.

In the league if he can get 10-15 in his first season I'll be pretty happy as I said he won't be taking penalties which can boost your numbers.

Got to watch his performances as well, I want to see him creating chances for himself and others and hopefully being clinical with what comes his way basically just looking like a proper centre forward.

Yeah, I'd be well pleased with a 15 return, what I want to see is some confidence and something in there. As superrash said, hopefully open up spaces for others

He is going to get a lot of grief from the press, he needs to remain confident and just keep trying.

What I also hope he'll bring, is get those key goals in tight games, and big pressure moments. A 90th min winning goal vs Liverpool means more than goals 3 and 4 in a 5 goal drubbing of someone crap, eg Spurs ha.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back