Champions League Discussion 2023/24

I know you're being ironic.

But a lot of the problems with the playing squad are problems of ETH doing.

I imagine everyone crying for Rashford to leave would be moaning he didn't play like for united when he rips it up.

How can anyone play under this manager.

Sancho has been there for 3-4 months and we've barely had a peep about him doing anything good. In terms of goals and assists it's the same return we've had out of Antony in that period and everyone thinks he's cr*p.

Yes he had a great game last night as the kids would say he was "cooking" but this is exactly what happened at Utd. 3 months of almost nothing then 1 game where he looks unplayable. He's a very talented footballer there will be nights where he turns up and looks world class but if you don't do it regularly you don't belong at the highest level.

Consistency is the key.

If I was a Dortmund fan I'd be wondering where's this Sancho has been for the last 3 months?

@jsp

I'm sure you know you cant go from not playing for months on end to ripping it up. I imagine the Dortmund fans aren't so picky, Maybe they are a bit more forgiving than man utd fans.

The problem with Sancho at united, along with a lot of players, is ETH. Yet united fans seem to back him, weird as he is clearly out of his depth.

edit, and he seemed to show in the big games, when our players, in particular Bruno, go missing in the big games

@jsp

I'm sure you know you cant go from not playing for months on end to ripping it up. I imagine the Dortmund fans aren't so picky, Maybe they are a bit more forgiving than man utd fans.

The problem with Sancho at united, along with a lot of players, is ETH. Yet united fans seem to back him, weird as he is clearly out of his depth.

edit, and he seemed to show in the big games, when our players, in particular Bruno, go missing in the big games

I wouldn't expect it on day 1 but come on it doesn't take this long, from bits I've seen mostly online they're not arsed about him staying.

Last night was typical Sancho stuff remember that game at home to Liverpool in ETH's first season? This happens with him until he does it regularly I'm not convinced he's changed.

As for his problem at Utd why is it ETH? He inherited the problem as his first season was also a disaster. He gave him a load of chances and time last season to sort out his problems but he clearly felt he wasn't getting the return. If he's not doing it in training he's within his rights to say I'm not picking him in the squad. I don't think he's whiter than white with how it all blew up but Sancho was wrong to do what he did with his tweet. We saw him for 2 years at Utd under 3 different managers he never looked fit enough to play 90 minutes and his contributions were so hit and miss I can see why they decided to move him on.

He needs to go, whatever side of the debate you are on with him the relationship between him, the club and the fans is broken. Everyone needs to just move on and hopefully it works out for everyone.

The situation was handled really badly by ETH. You choose to believe ETH. I choose to remain open minded, for a player to take that stance, I say he's not lying.

And it is up the manager to get the best out of every single player, they all need handling differently, as the stories of SAF and cantona show.

And the relationship is not broken for me, he should be playing now. Hopefully the truth will come out when ETH is gone.

There isn't any doubt in my mind over the incident, it's very poor man management and ETH has cost himself the use of Sancho all season. He would at the very least be an option from the bench which right now would be golden.

I think deep down we all know the stats Sancho produced for Dortmund almost guarenteed he would have some impact in any league, they were so good. You don't get them outputs by fluke or a league being too easy, they're from being better than most and being a very capable player. I think he was not shown the support he deserved from the off, and particularly recently by ETH.

Also if you think the relationship is broken beyond fixing with fans, you are very wrong. Reading the Caf yesterday and a lot of them want him back. A lot of them pointing out Antony is the main reason Sancho was unhappy in the first place and that is who we are left with.

I say there's probably grains of truth on both sides of it but what Sancho did in response was unacceptable, that's my stance on it. He made a small problem an absolutely massive one.

If you want my honest take on it the club were trying to sell Sancho in the summer as they'd had enough of dealing with his issues, he was unreliable and underperforming, on huge wages and if they could move him on they'd have moved him. I suspect Sancho knew this but I've got no idea if he'd have been open to a move. As far as we know no-one came in for him so they need to muddle along and make it work. The tension was already there though and it was always going to bubble over at some point.

As for the reason he wasn't picked against Arsenal no one knows who's side of that story is true. ETH has said it was a decision based on training performance he didn't think he deserved a space in the squad, Sancho claims he trained well and should have been picked but at the end of the day that's the managers decision to make.

I can 100% understand why Sancho wasn't happy that it was made public but he needs to be smarter than jumping on his social media and responding. All that needed to happen was Sancho calls the club and requests a meeting with the manager the next day about what's happening and deal with it all in house.

As for how the fans see him overall I'd say it's at best 50/50 split, amongst the match going fans it's probably 80/20 want him out.

It's absolutely hilarious you want Sancho to be the responsible adult in that relationship.

Also your numbers are pulled out of the air, and the general feeling I get is not so biased towards him leaving. A lot of people see the same thing I do, a potential world-class footballer under the right management.

It's absolutely hilarious you want Sancho to be the responsible adult in that relationship.

Also your numbers are pulled out of the air, and the general feeling I get is not so biased towards him leaving. A lot of people see the same thing I do, a potential world-class footballer under the right management.

He's 24 this incident happened when he's 23 he's meant to have people around him who should be advising him on what to do, like his agent. I expect him to act like a professional which is what he'd paid to be. I also accept the manager could have dodged the question in the interview but he maybe wanted to send the message to Sancho to up his game which he's entitled to do.

As for my numbers they're not pulled out of thin air at all but I don't claim them to be fact. They're based on what I see on social media I think it's pretty split if we did a stay of go poll on here now I'd expect it to come out pretty 50/50. As for the match going fans, I know quite a lot of people who go to the match home and away and follow plenty of others who do and interact with them on another forum and in those spaces almost no one wants him back.

Put it simply I'll judge him on what I've seen of him in a Utd shirt for 2 seasons. For 2 years I saw a lad that never looked fit, a lot of the time looked low on confidence but every now and then had moments that made you think wow. The talent is undeniable but the application of that talent is questionable. Personally I've seen enough to say if we can move him on we should.

I watched the highlights in case I missed something but sorry I didn’t see this so called great performance what I saw was a video edited to try and make Sancho look good, he was lively and provided a good assist from which they should have scored but that was it, I still think he’s massively over rated.

Regardless of what any of us think, this is only good for the club. We can either keep him and give him another crack at it, or we get more money. You should be hoping for more of these performances. I watched the whole game and he was very good in the second half.

He had their left back tied up in knots for pretty much the whole game and his end product was very good, created a few chances that his team mates could have done a lot better with.

I want him to get back to his best I just don’t see that being back at Utd.

I think he could do ok under the right manager.
But from what I've seen, long term we need better. But he walks into our current team

Yeah, he'd walk into the team and then walk up and down that left wing.
He's been playing rw, but you know that as you're willing to comment on it

But even so, Rashford has been getting so much stick on here I would have thought even Sancho would be an improvement listening on here.

Funny how you all slag off all the players, yet the manager who puts them on the pitch and tells them what to do gets away with it.

You put a decent manager in charge we don't come bottom in the CL and we don't finish 6th/7th

Sancho played under three Utd managers and flopped, Im not sure how he’s suddenly going turn into a great player under a new manager. Maybe we keep changing the manager until we find one he likes? That was a piss take for those that don’t get my humour, some obviously don’t.:rolleyes:

Sancho has had problems for sure, but we know he can play.

But this isn't anything different from what I said, he needs selling, but currently, if ETH hadn't handled it so badly, he would get in our team.

With hindsight ETH did handle the situation badly he should have known Sancho was flakey after needing to give him three months off for gaming addiction..another joke there lads..
To be a pro footballer you need built in natural mental strength sorry I’m a hardliner Sancho had issues at City and at Dortmund the first time he was there, he has history for poor attitude and lateness I think he’s soft, he backed out of too many challenges where he was closer to the ball than the defender while United had him.
You might have guessed by now I’m not a fan.

there are some who say all those reports about him being late are nonsense, I think an old united coach from memory.

I am not holding anything against his personality, he is what he is and he needs managing to suit.

His football at united never really met the heights he has shown elsewhere, for whatever reason, so on that basis he needs selling. But I do think under the right manager he would do well, he is a talented footballer.

Funny how you all slag off all the players, yet the manager who puts them on the pitch and tells them what to do gets away with it.

You put a decent manager in charge we don't come bottom in the CL and we don't finish 6th/7th
Many of these players have failed under multiple managers, though. At what number manager do we stop and think, hang on, something else is going on here?

Nemanja Matic said Sancho was always late and it pissed the other players off, imagine someone being late all the time while being paid a lot more, not a chance in my book Sancho deserves all the criticism.

I don't go fully with that prognosis @O-Dog

Lets say these players go back to Jose, he won things. But Jose is old school and like to argue with players and everybody, that just doesn't work any more. Then Ole who got us to a european final, did we finish 2nd under him? I can't remember, and played football that was enjoyable. The signing of Ronaldo brought that project to a halt.
Ralf was never a manager, his record shows that, and now we have ETH.

For me, on what I've seen, his football is poor, his man management is poor, his tactics are poor, his subs are poor and his press conferences are poor.

No way these players are as bad as they are at the moment

Nemanja Matic said Sancho was always late and it pissed the other players off, imagine someone being late all the time while being paid a lot more, not a chance in my book Sancho deserves all the criticism.
Like I say, there are contrary reports, so either you believe the one that suits your way of thinking, or you ignore it all.

Ragnik:

In the six months I had him, there wasn't a single discipline problem. On the contrary. He is a calm and pleasant guy

Like I say, there are contrary reports, so either you believe the one that suits your way of thinking, or you ignore it all.

Ragnik:

In the six months I had him, there wasn't a single discipline problem. On the contrary. He is a calm and pleasant guy
You are doing exactly the same choosing who to believe, Matic isn’t going to make random stories up.
The bottom line is Sancho did very little at United and was a massive flop, that’s not even up for debate.

We agree he was shit then.
Remember City let him go and there were attitude accusations there, there’s just too many negatives from other clubs for me, Iv seen flashes of what looks like real talent but mostly it’s been a huge let down.

No I do not agree with that. He didn't manage to play well for united in a very dysfunctional team due to Ronaldo arriving, then he got injured and suffered some mental health issues.

clearly he can play well for Dortmund, so he is not sh!t

City let Palmer go to, that's irrelevant. I'm sure there are many players city let go.

Sancho was crap under three Utd managers, he’s a fraud.
He’s not been great at Dortmund either, just ok but the media want it to make look like United made a mistake, you’ve been sucked in too sadly.

Who showed up when it mattered most in the Champions League.... Sancho or Mbappe? Him and Hummels were the star players in a semi-final, whilst the other could do nothing.

I don't think he's been excellent at Dortmund on the whole however, but I do think he's now turned a corner. Being comfortable and loved seems like a very big thing for Sancho, and that for me is the key to getting the best out of him. If we want him back he must be given both, not made to feel like an outcast, and called out in the media by the very person who is supposed to protect him.

On ETH handling of Sancho

Salah had a public shouting match with Klopp on the sideline. Klopp just said it's all sorted and there is no longer a problem. Thtas how you manage it

People that hold grudges are always a bad thing, I think they're very toxic people and usually overly dramatic. I can have a massive argument with anyone, then an hour later talk to them again with no problem. You say what you have to say then move on. ETH seems to have a problem with this, and Sancho did not need to be at Dortmund right now. He could of sat him down and said let's get it all out there and done it in safe space.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back