Casemiro | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

Why does Casemiro continue to start despite shocking performances? Yet Garnacho makes a mistake and gets yanked at halftime for it.

My guess is because he doesn't trust Eriksen or Amrabat in this system and he wants his strength in the air which is vital in this team. If McTominay was fit we might be seeing less of Casemiro.

I don't think the two are related.

My guess is because he doesn't trust Eriksen or Amrabat in this system and he wants his strength in the air which is vital in this team. If McTominay was fit we might be seeing less of Casemiro.

I don't think the two are related.
Pretty much this, people really need to watch games its not rocket science. Eriksen does not have the legs to keep up in a PL game anymore, he simply cant keep up with the pace, and Amrabat looks like he`s got a bag of sand strapped to his back he`s far too slow and both would have struggled against Bournemouth because they press and are quick, in fact United have struggled all season against teams that play that way.

so you carry on playing an awful player, to suit a system that isn't working. Great management

so you carry on playing an awful player, to suit a system that isn't working. Great management
I dont think ETH has got anyone that steps in, agree Case has been crap this season but the alternatives are no better.

Pretty much this, people really need to watch games its not rocket science. Eriksen does not have the legs to keep up in a PL game anymore, he simply cant keep up with the pace, and Amrabat looks like he`s got a bag of sand strapped to his back he`s far too slow and both would have struggled against Bournemouth because they press and are quick, in fact United have struggled all season against teams that play that way.
Here’s the thing though… So does Casemiro so I’m not sure that your point holds there. I get his limited on options but still.

The whole team is a like a patched up roof that needs replacing.

His only option tactics wise at this point is to give up on the pressing from the front and just drop deep play really compact against poor sides and probably struggle to score any goals for the rest of the season.

His only option tactics wise at this point is to give up on the pressing from the front and just drop deep play really compact against poor sides and probably struggle to score any goals for the rest of the season.
But that’s probably the way they should go. They have plenty of speed to hit on the counter. They have attacking threat with the players they have. Tailor the system to work with what you have not just let chaos reign.

But that’s probably the way they should go. They have plenty of speed to hit on the counter. They have attacking threat with the players they have. Tailor the system to work with what you have not just let chaos reign.

When they try to play this way they really struggle to score.

So you can either have low scoring games where the results are hit and miss or high scoring games where the games are hit and miss.

I don't think either system works for this group of players.

Casemiro's game has gone to shit since Mainoo became a regular, maybe he's in awe of him, maybe his brain is telling him you used to be able to do that stuff, but you can't now, off to the knackers yard you go ....

When they try to play this way they really struggle to score.
That’s fair enough. What I would say though is if they try to keep it tight and hit teams on the counter that is probably the better way to go? Because right now United are conceding so many chances they should be losing the majority of games. Eventually that luck should run out.

That’s fair enough. What I would say though is if they try to keep it tight and hit teams on the counter that is probably the better way to go? Because right now United are conceding so many chances they should be losing the majority of games. Eventually that luck should run out.

I'd say that luck has already run out the results kind of prove that.

I'd say that luck has already run out the results kind of prove that.
To some extent but United should have lost to Brentford, Liverpool and Bournemouth. They got 3 points from those games which could have been and probably should have been even worse.

To some extent but United should have lost to Brentford, Liverpool and Bournemouth. They got 3 points from those games which could have been and probably should have been even worse.

Probably did enough to beat Chelsea though so it's swings and roundabouts. Last 4 games we've took 2 points I'd say we were probably worth 5 points from those games. We deserved to lose to Brentford but for me we were worth a draw with Bournemouth and Liverpool and did enough to beat Chelsea.

Problem we have is at no point does a game feel won or lost because with this team at any moment anything could happen good or bad.

Honest to God I hope people don't get paid for articles like this -

So basically we should have kept somebody who didn't want to stay, and played/plays in a totally different position as a replacement for Casemiro before he'd even arrived at the club

Kerching $$$$

I suspect they only get paid if someone clicks on it so don't do read that sort of nonsense and over time it will go away.

It’s footballfancast, what do you expect? Why share the article if it’s rubbish?

Because it needed highlighting, some people hang on every word ....

And I briefly covered what the article was about to save others clicking on it.

I suspect they only get paid if someone clicks on it so don't do read that sort of nonsense and over time it will go away.

You wish.

As with any media once it stops making money it stops existing.

He looked like a midfielder playing as centre back for the first goal, his positioning was poor. Awful penalty too.

He looks done it’s sad to see him just getting roasted by pretty much everyone in a race the legs are either gone or he’s carrying an injury.

You cannot play him at centre back in the league. His legs have gone and is running through treacle a lot of the time. I personally would have played McT back there as he does play there for Scotland on occasion, albeit a little while ago and I believe in a back 3 from my recollection?

At least when you play Case in the midfield, there is a last line of defence if he gets rinsed in a foot race. At the back you’re done if he gets beaten unless you have someone else running back.

Think it's more his desire that's gone rather than his legs ....

Maybe his Missus hates living in England, who knows

I don't think you can play him anywhere at the moment if other lads were fit he probably wouldn't be playing.

Either the legs are gone, he's playing injured or he doesn't give a sh*t.

I don't think it's the latter probably a combination oft he first 2 points.

He’s playing every game like it’s a charity match the lack of professionalism on show from him in the last few months is baffling.

He doesn’t want to be here anymore and the sooner he’s gone the better in my opinion. Fingers crossed the Saudi’s will chuck us some half decent money for him they need 30m to cover FFP that looks impossible at this stage.

Casemiro was trying to head the ball back to AWB who actually won the ball. He isn't to blame for Onana's challenge.

Dodgy defending , sure, but the blame is on Onana.

You what? He has tried to head it to Onana to catch it and made a complete mess of it. He’s tried to be clever and it’s ended up costing us the win.

Yeah Onana makes a stupid decision after that but Casemiro causes that panic. He is experienced to know that ball has to be headed away in those circumstances.

Well, most people are blaming Onana. A lot of late frantic defending results in dodgy stuff. Players are tired and it's something Onana should be expecting. Lately we are under the cosh a lot, so he doesn't have an excuse. He cost us the win, which is a shame as he had a great game otherwise.

The point is he’s put in that situation by a moment of stupidity by our most experienced player doing something he wouldn’t expect. The natural reaction for Onana or most keepers there will be go for the ball there.

Casemiro for me caused that situation and a player of his experience and ability should know better than to try and head that back to the keeper.

Funny thing is in real time the commentators and no Burnley players appeal for the penalty, it’s only because we now have VAR that it gets given.

The ball was cleared from the Casemiro header. Onana made no contact with the ball, only the player. The point for me is that if he stays on his line, we win the game.

The ball was cleared from the Casemiro header. Onana made no contact with the ball, only the player. The point for me is that if he stays on his line, we win the game.

If Casemiro heads it away he never comes out so you can play it back to where did the problem start.

Onana is always going to come for it as soon as he sees Casemiro try that header back, I dont think he’s got the time to think it’s just a fight or flight reaction to go for that ball.

Both players make mistakes that result in the penalty my point is Casemiro had time to think and he chose to take the most risky option which as an experienced player he should know better than to do that.

If Casemiro heads it away he never comes out so you can play it back to where did the problem start.

Onana is always going to come for it as soon as he sees Casemiro try that header back, I dont think he’s got the time to think it’s just a fight or flight reaction to go for that ball.

Both players make mistakes that result in the penalty my point is Casemiro had time to think and he chose to take the most risky option which as an experienced player he should know better than to do that.
That's fair enough, it's definitely a bad choice by Casemiro, but like I said these things happen late in games when any team is under the cosh. I think Onana had a bit more time than it seems, he could easily have looked at where the ball was going before turning into super man. If he had of looked he would of saw the ball was going to be cleared by AWB. Also it didn't look like a very threatening event anyway, the ball is in the air and they have like one player close by...

I can agree with you though in that it was errors by both.

That's fair enough, it's definitely a bad choice by Casemiro, but like I said these things happen late in games when any team is under the cosh. I think Onana had a bit more time than it seems, he could easily have looked at where the ball was going before turning into super man. If he had of looked he would of saw the ball was going to be cleared by AWB. Also it didn't look like a very threatening event anyway, the ball is in the air and they have like one player close by...

I can agree with you though in that it was errors by both.
It was a congested box and to me Cas was not at fault. Onana and AWB because it was a mess up between them and as you say the ball was cleared. If a keeper comes and cleans up an opposing player he is going to concede a penalty. Yes AWB does clear it as required. He did not even look at the ball when he punches the opposing player.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back