Moyes - Money To Spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

David Moyes: Manchester United will buy even if top four bid stalls | Football | The Observer

David Moyes insists the money is in place to strengthen Manchester United with a major signing that would demonstrate the club's ambition, and while he may not be able to do a deal to bring in such a player in January he is confident the backing will be there to secure important targets whether or not United finish in a Champions League position.

"We can definitely find the money for a big deal, 100%," the United manager said. "I know that because the money was available this summer. We were very close to a major, major signing, and if it had gone through it would have definitely shown what the club is worth. We didn't do it in the end, we didn't quite get there because players had chosen other clubs or made different decisions, but we were close to a couple of major signings and we didn't miss out because of money, that's for sure."

Moyes is understandably reluctant to name names of players now contracted to other clubs, though United's pursuit of Cesc Fábregas over the summer was scarcely a secret and the even more audacious deal Ed Woodward was trying to pull off was thought to concern Gareth Bale. United were willing to put up just as much money as Real Madrid, but it is believed the Tottenham player had his heart set on linking up with Cristiano Ronaldo at the Bernabéu. Ronaldo himself was a possible target, and a return to Old Trafford would certainly have been popular, but it is understood that Bale was the coup United were seeking to show intent and get Moyes's tenure off to a positive start. "I don't see the particular deal we were looking at being resurrected in January," Moyes said. "And I would be surprised if it crops up again next summer."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back