Status
Not open for further replies.
Manchester born Joe Rothwell joined United in 2001. Rothwell is a central midfielder and he has represented England at U16s & U17s.

This lad is due a comment..... I'm probably like a broken record praising him but every time I see him he gets better and better. Didn't see the game this morning but judging on his performances thus far and also judging by how young he is, he is looking like a serious prospect. For as much as I have been enjoying Ross Barkley's performances this season I can't help but wonder if Rothwell was at a club like Everton would he be getting hyped up beyond belief and have rididculous transfer fees on his head. The answer is probably yes. He's not just a big prospect for United but for England also. I remeber watching him in the Victory shield last year, unaware he played for United, and he was head and shoulders above the rest really.

One of my favourite youngsters at the club. Doesn't seem to have any telling weaknesses - he was a bit small last year but seems to have grown over the summer. He also seems to have the right mentality so hopefully things go for him with injuries and the likes. Could well be a future star.

He was quite quiet this morning I thought. Clearly one of our most talented youngsters though, I think people pointed that out a few years back when he played in the Premier Cup at Old Trafford that he was a bit special. Look forward to seeing him progress.

He and Rudge have been my favorties so far this season. Next season's academy team will be amazing to watch, with all of these guys physically more built up and also more experienced.

It's a shame Rudge got injured, he started off well.

Joe Rothwell's done ligaments and his hip, out for 3 months. Big blow for the lad, he's looked very good.

Could have been worse. Considering the way he went off I was expecting him to be out for longer but it's still very bad luck. I'd like to see Josh Harrop get a few games in Rothwells absence. He looks a similar player to Rothwell - saw him against Everton (I think) last season and he was very impressive. He's a bit young though so he might have to wait until the end of the season before he gets a chance.

Any news on Rothwell, is he expected to return this season?

Update: He's back in training doing light running.

Rothwell has apparently signed proffesional forms with United.

There was 9 pro contracts given this week and a couple of 3rd year scholarships, I didnt find out who

Rothwell could do with an injury free season next year

Potentially very good, injuries may take their toll though unfortunately. Remember I think SEA talking about this lad impressing at the MUPC when he was 15.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fantastic to see him making the step up to U21s. Must have been great for him to have Fletch lending him advice during the game too. Something that needs to be done more I think, first teamers playing at this level.

Hopefully over the worst of his injuries, has had a torrid time. Looking strong physically now. Remember a few picking him out as a possible first teamer in the MUPC a few years back when he was 15.

Rothwell has been added to United's Champions League squad and been given squad number 47.

Deserved. Been playing well.

Here's a question though.... Newcastle away at the weekend before a trip to Munich, should we put out a fringe/reserve side? Suppose it mostly depends on who will play vs Bayern. Struggling for numbers in defence, may be best to rest completely for it. Obviously Mata can play and you'd probably chuck Nani, Young, Hernandez and Cleverley in for gametime but apart from that, we've nothing to play for in the league apart from saving face. U21s not exactly brimming with defenders mind as Vermijl/Thorpe/Keane/Blackett on loan. Looking at Varela/Janko at RB, maybe Reece James at LB but after that.... not a lot else to choose from as Charni and McNair aren't ready and not really CBs either. If Smalling, Evans and Rafael are back and Buttner is OK then I suppose they will play.

Team for Newcastle: Lindegaard; Rafael (if fit), Smalling (if fit), Evans (if fit), Buttner (if fit); Nani, Fletcher, Cleverley (if fit), Young; Mata, Hernandez.
Team for Bayern: De Gea; Jones, Rio, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Fellaini, Kagawa, Welbeck; Rooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back