Ashley Young | Match Discussion thread 2018/19

jsp

Looked tired after 60 minutes just not got the legs to play full back at this level for 90 minutes.

Harsh for his first game after the World Cup but this happened last season and it will happen again this season and it’s not his fault he’s in his mid 30s very few full backs survive at the top level into their mid 30s and this lad was a winger for his entire career.

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Chelsea 2-2 Manchester United - 20th October 2018

After his horror show against Newcastle, he was very good against arguably the best player in the league.

jsp

Vs Juventus

What do we think?

Tried hard put the effort in and lead the team from that point of view really took the fight to Juventus nice and aggressive but the quality of his final ball was terrible wasted a lot of good attacking positions with a poor delivery.

Felt to me like Juventus offered us the right side to attack from as they felt the threat from that side was less than the threat from the left.

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Bournemouth 1-2 Manchester United - 3rd November 2018

He was very good.

jsp

Won lots of clever fouls but not sure having Mata in front of him helped first half.

Hard working soldier but shouldn’t have to be doing the job he’s doing for the team he’s helping them at 33 rather than them helping him.

Red Warrior

Why why why does he not exploit empty space in front of him and get a cross in instead of stopping and passing back?????

jsp

Why why why does he not exploit empty space in front of him and get a cross in instead of stopping and passing back?????
Plays safe because he knows he’s not got the energy to sprint back knows he needs to make his legs last 90 minutes.

He doesn’t have someone covering him if he does go so I think it’s smart to play safe

Red Warrior

Loved his first cross a few minutes into the game. Think that ball is still orbiting the earth

Who would have thought our first choice right back would have been Ashley frickin Young? He can do a job but gosh I would prefer to throw Dalot in there and just give him a run, he was bought for a reason, let him show his talent.

jsp

Young has been a noble soldier who's given it all for Utd but he was always a back up winger and if this squad had been put together properly he'd be a back up full back or in reality he'd be playing at another club by now.

He works hard and tries but the quality has never been there for me for him to be a Utd player.

Dalot seems to be picking up injuries but they seem to be keeping his problem quiet and no one seems to know when he'll be back the reality is fairly soon it'll be back to the Young/Valencia rotation game.

jsp

The more I read and the more I think the more depressing it gets. There are so many positions that need addressing it it unreal.
Well hopefully Dalot is a possible solution to this problem he was signed for £20m this summer to hopefully avoid having to pay £40m for him next summer but the lad needs to be playing regularly if he's going to improve. Once he's fit the way the league campaign is going they might as well chuck him in for a run of games.

Red Warrior

Young is a good servant but he misses so many opportunities to run into space and deliver a cross. It just shows how bad he is on the left, he’s not so good on the right either

we should have bought Pavard
Wasn’t that impressed to be honest. He looked like a centre back playing right back.

There is nothing to lose really by giving Dalot a run, obviously in the big games maybe bring in the experience but give the guy a run when he’s fit. Valencia and Young are at the veteran stage now and they should be squad players at the very best.