Zlatan Ibrahimovic to leave in the summer?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think as a club, we probably need to move away from Zlatan next season

It's hardly a surprise if he is going to LA it was only ever a short term solution while Rashford developed if he has agreed a deal to go then I'd say Rashford is the number 1 striker for the rest of the season in the league we need to give that kid playing time.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did want to leave to tell the truth. He's probably looking at the situation and seeing that this team isn't a year away from being a real contender. And so why not take the money in a much nicer climate?

I think this year has proven we need a striker who can score goals, as well as one with pace. Although this year he has been brilliant I think we need to move away to look forward. I don't think he'll be happy sitting on the bench.

I think as a club, we probably need to move away from Zlatan next season

I'm leaning towards this thought. He has been sensational for us but his lack of pace does stunt us somewhat. I wouldn't be averse for him to stay another year, however his comments suggest he is getting a little frustrated with our performances. If we can bring in a top class striker with pace and movement in the summer, then I definitely would be for moving away from Ibra.

There is a lot of rubbish printed on the internet about united transfers, because it generates so many clicks.

So I take this with a pinch of salt, but I do think it would be the perfect signing for our club.

Jose wants Lewandowski, and is trying to convince him he needs a new challenge. Saw this yesterday.

I'm in the happy to see him go group also. He's a fantastic player and I love his attitude but we are just too one dimensional with him on the pitch.

Zlatan imo was a 1 year solution to our problem of not having a good enough experienced CF he came on a free and will probably leave on a free and despite him missing plenty of chances he'll score 30 plus for us so he's more than kept up his part of the bargain. I'm not 100% convinced he's gone I think mourinho will want him to stay but Zlatan will only stay if he's first choice as he wants to play why carry on if you're not the first choice that is where I think the stumbling block might be over this 1 year extension

Lewendowski isn't leaving Bayern Munich and the moment there's even a sniff that he might Madrid will be back in for him we need to be going for the next Lewendowski

A top four finish or Europa League triumph would see United return to the Champions League and Raiola has stressed that would convince Ibrahimovic to stay in Manchester.

"Zlatan knows what he wants to do," Raiola told RMC . "He wants to play in the final of the Champions League, and if possible to win it.

"We’re not going to be pressed and we’ll take the right decision. Zlatan has desire and he is motivated. He has no need for a financial motivation to continue; he wants to prove that he can still play at the highest level.

"Zlatan has priorities, such as finishing the season well and playing a good European Championship. The rest is up to me."

Are these quotes from this year or last year? The last line is surely a reference to Zlatan playing in Euro 2016 as no one calls Europa League the European Championship

Definitely this year, probably Raiola just said it different to the norm.

Ibra has had an awesome career and has showed his class this season, however he is getting to the twilight of his career and he wants to be in the Champions League. So, I don't begrudge him wanting to walk away if we don't make the CL. I don't think it would be the worst thing if he did walk away even if we did make the CL but that is a tricky issue. On the one hand he has been phenomenal this season but you can quite clearly see he stunts our attacking play. It's a tough one but if Ibra wants to stay then no doubts Jose will want him too.

With the new investment at AC Milan could he be going back there? He didn't want to leave last time but they like Utd are facing another season outside Champs League plus does a young exciting team need a guy like Zlatan? I know Napoli were linked to him as the owner loves him and they will be in CL next season but they don't really need him unless others are leaving this summer.

Where can he go with a realistic chance of champions league success?

I think any top striker in this Utd side scores plenty of goals but if he goes Utd probably need 2 strikers this summer to give us proper options

Raiola: Ibrahimovic wants to stay at United

“Oh, yes [he wants to stay at United]. He wants to stay in England, he wants to stay at the top and if he sees that he can be a valuable asset for Manchester United, then why not Manchester United?

“He can be a valuable asset for some other top clubs also. I think it is respectful to talk to Manchester United and see what all parties want.”

It would all depend on what sort of contract he wants and how long he's actually out for most people assume he won't be fit until at least January so his contract would need to reflect that.

If he did stay when he comes back he can't expect to come straight in as first choice we can't play half the season without our plan A striker he'd have to accept being the plan B and if plan A is working fine he'd stay on the bench.

He's obviously a big influence in the dressing room and a happy Ibra can be a great thing but an unhappy Ibra could be dangerous. Say Utd are flying in the league he gets fit but can't get back in the team and starts sulking about it he could rip the dressing room apart.

Obviously not confirmed but how would everyone feel if he was to go?

Not really a surprise as he's on huge wages, he's 36 and he's coming off the back of a potential career ending injury. If he was prepared to take a huge cut in salary and accept a role as a squad player similar to what Rooney had his season then I'd keep him around but I don't see Zlatan wanting to do that if he's going to carry on playing at his age he'll want to play every week as he doesn't need the money.

If he'd have stayed fit and contributed to the end of the season I think most people would be happy with him getting a 2nd season but in more of a squad role. We couldn't go into next season relying on him, we'd need him to be more like a bonus/wildcard that we could play in the second half of the season. I think he did a great job leading the team and certainly bought some of the swagger back but I always felt this was a 1 year solution to a long term problem which is since RVP hit a wall under Moyes we haven't had a world class striker.

Rashford might become one over the next 2-3 seasons but the challenge this summer is to get one who is ready now.

It was a shame in ended the way it did but I think he proved his point to all those who doubted him in England that even in his twilight years he was still capable of scoring plenty of goals in England and I'm glad that he finally got his hands on some European silverware even if it was the lesser competition and he was injured for the final he still made a massive contribution to us winning that trophy.

A shame it ended like this.

Once the injury happened it was always likely to be the end. Unknown how long he'll be out for and unknown how he'll perform post-injury at his age.

Enjoyed having him at the club. Was mostly a hit but no doubt that he missed a number of good chances in those draws we had at home. A good stop gap but more needed now.

Yeah it is a shame but to be honest for me even if he was fully fit and firing, I would still be unsure about him staying. He is still a terrific player but I just felt our play was stunted at times when he played. Undoubtedly he still won us many games including the EFL final but I feel a more mobile striker would be better for us.

He brought bags of character and class but who knows how his body is gonna react to this injury. His physique is phenomenal but long term injuries can effect even the strongest of player.

He'll leave a large leadership void. A 'self belief' shaped hole, if you will. Currently, only Pogba has the arrogance you need in winning teams. If they have great seasons, Rashford and Miki could get there. Other than that, we're all honest endeavour laced with a touch of steel. Really need to sign some proven class.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back