Nicky Butt named Academy Director

JSNFRMN

Rumour is that Nicky Butt will take McClair's old job as Academy Director and Warren Joyce will become U18s boss. Interesting if true. Not mentioned but could also mean Giggs to U21s.

Not sure that works for me. Looks more like down sizing than restructure. I wouldn't move Warren from his position. He has done a good job and understands his role. Need a good man for the u18s. Maybe solksjaer? Hopefully he would combine good coaching with a name that would lure talent and their parents.

Nicky Butt is apparently well thought of at the club. The U18s is an important stage in the development of players so Joyce would be a good appointment.

I don't mind nicks butt in that position. I think he is well thought of and I wouldn't disagree. I am sure Warren could do a good job with the u18s but he is already doing that.

I think we will see Giggs coach at U21 level next season when we get a new 1st team manager. Warren is an excellent replacement for Paul at U18's, we are in good hands there

Ultimately there needs to be a shake up of the academy structure at the club.

If they believe Butt is the right man for the job then good luck to him.

I can see Giggs either taking charge of the under 21s next season or maybe going out on his own. The time will come where being number 2 won't be adding any benefit. But will coaching the under 21s? I'm not sure that's what's best for him.

Apparently, Butt was offered the role last year but he declined as he was unsure on what he wanted to do long term. He's been doing the role since the start of the season without the official title.

Heard a rumour at the game today that Warren Joyce will be staying with the U21's and John McMahon (Ex-Liverpool player Steve McMahon's brother) will take over the U18's

Will have to wait and see if true

Clayton Blackmore during commentary (v Blackpool) made a comment that alluded to Joyce staying with the U21s.

What are your thoughts on John McMahon, @manc1976?

From McMahon's wiki page:

McMahon spent eight years on the coaching staff of Tranmere Rovers, where he had two spells as caretaker manager, in the 2003–04 season and at the end of the 2005–06 season.

He moved to become first-team coach at Shrewsbury Town in June 2006, and was made assistant manager in September 2007. During this period he completed his UEFA Pro Licence in coaching during 2006. On 3 March 2008 he was appointed caretaker manager, after the departure of manager Gary Peters. The appointment of Paul Simpson on 12 March saw him resume the assistant role.

On 8 June 2009, John was appointed reserve team coach of Liverpool, replacing Gary Ablett. He took charge of the reserve team for the first time on 18 July 2009, when the a Liverpool XI beat Aberystwyth Town 4-1 in a friendly. On 11 March 2011 it was announced that he would no longer be a coach at Liverpool.

In June 2011 he rejoined the coaching staff at Tranmere as first team coach. McMahon was appointed caretaker manager of Tranmere in February 2014, after the suspension of Ronnie Moore. He left the club in August 2014.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting developments starting to emerge now. Long overdue but better late than never.

John Murtough who was brought in by Moyes, has been appointed Head of Youth Development. Finally, a bit of structure in our academy. The players are always there and now we seem to have some direction.

Interesting stuff from Butty, seems to be heading in right direction, pretty large U18s squad this season with new signings and U16s also stepping up, wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of the squad moving up to the Reserves mind.

Nicky Butt reveals why Manchester United have called in the circus

“I see players in our academy and they can’t move," he said. "Our lads don’t know how to fall, roll, and you should see the amount of injuries we get from popped shoulders or their arms.

“I probably fell out of a tree 15 times and never hurt myself. I don’t think my son’s ever climbed a tree. Body mechanics lose so much when you’re not climbing trees, not playing basketball, cricket, rugby. I played rugby, cricket, football, basketball.

“This might sound bizarre but we’ve had a guy come in from the circus, telling the kids how to do spinning plates, jumping through hoops, circus tricks to get their biomechanics working. We had a free runner, the ‘parkour’ lads who jump over buildings, set up a course.”

Butt seems to be doing and saying all the right things so far in the role. Covering all bases. The recruitment of underage coaches seems to be quite astute. Very high number of new scouts appointed too. Long may it all continue.

Have to say... Maybe it's coincidence and I'm sure a lot of it is... But since bringing in Butt I'm sure there's been a bit of a step up from our academy? Lots of really exciting players that could go on to become first team players in the future...

Apparently we've also pinched 2 from City too. David Harrison will join United as head of academy recruitment with Lyndon Tomlinson as assistant.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back