New striker in January?

Martial over Benzema for six months?

Doubt we'll still be playing in June

But yeah, and I thought we were moving away from the quick-fixes anyway, and if we were to bring somebody in from a walking-pace League probably best to bring somebody in with experience of the Premier League, Benzema would be knackered in the warm-up at his age.

Whatever we do in January is a quick fix though.

We aren't going to sign anyone it's just going to be a loan to cover the shortage of options in the attack.

Buys us time until the summer when hopefully we can have a proper plan over bringing people in.

Doubt we'll still be playing in June

But yeah, and I thought we were moving away from the quick-fixes anyway, and if we were to bring somebody in from a walking-pace League probably best to bring somebody in with experience of the Premier League, Benzema would be knackered in the warm-up at his age.
Look at Mr Pedantic over there.

I think you just like to go with the minority opinion and the opposite to what everyone else says. Benzema would be an incredible signing for United if they could get him.

Might appear like that at times but I just like to make my own mind up, far too many read stuff on RedCafe or similar and see that 100 posters are suggesting Joe Bloggs would be a great singing and just go with that, I like to weigh up the pros and cons, and with Benzema there are far more cons. Stupendous player in his pomp though.

Benzema is not a nice person, but for what we need, a 4 month loan, he's ideal.

Being a nice person clearly wasn't necessary at Madrid. I think he'd be a perfect signing. Can't see it happening though.

Might appear like that at times but I just like to make my own mind up, far too many read stuff on RedCafe or similar and see that 100 posters are suggesting Joe Bloggs would be a great singing and just go with that, I like to weigh up the pros and cons, and with Benzema there are far more cons. Stupendous player in his pomp though.
Far more cons? The only cons I can see that are probably viable concerns are his age and the fact he hasn’t played in England before.

The pros are winning mentality, experience, goals, leadership, will help Hojlund in training, an experienced ear for our young players to learn from and if it doesn’t work out it’s only for a few months.

The biggest con is he’d be taking playing time away from Hojlund and we start next season in the exact same position with this front 3 unsure of each other.

Has Benzema ever been known to nurture a talent? He’s more likely to fall out with one if anything.

I don’t see that as a con at all. Hojlund is clearly raw and needs some help and who better than an experienced guy? Martial is about as much use a chocolate teapot so Hojlund has basically had no support.

Having Benzema here for 4 months isn’t going to hinder his progress at all or the ability of our front players going forward into the future.

I don't think we can be starting next season with Hojlund as no 1. Unless he improves massively.
We definitely need a striker in the summer

I definitely agree we need another striker in the summer.

Hojlund is learning all the time and the pressures of being the number one striker at one of the greatest clubs in the world at his tender age cannot be underestimated. Pressure has got to the best of players, so I think he is more than good enough but he does need some help.

I doubt Benzema would be giving him much help he'd want to come here play every minute of every game and score as many goals as possible.

He'd also want a massive salary because if he leaves Saudi now he's got to pay back 20% of his earnings in tax.

I guess you could look at it this way if CL qualification is vital to the budget and rebuilding plan then maybe you take a short term fix to try and close that gap. Personally I think the gap is already so big we can't recover it and Benzema I don't think on his own will close it.

If he came you'd probably be looking at Benzema playing 60-70 minutes of every game and Hojlund playing the rest of the games and maybe starting the cup games. That would be the likely deal.

I doubt Benzema is going to stay behind after training and give Hojlund one vs one coaching about how to do things. Hojlund will have access to all sorts of video archives to sit with coaches and look to copy what Benzema does on the pitch.

Anyway Martial has apparently told the club he doesn't want to go anywhere in January so there's nil chance of another striker coming.

Far more cons? The only cons I can see that are probably viable concerns are his age and the fact he hasn’t played in England before.

The pros are winning mentality, experience, goals, leadership, will help Hojlund in training, an experienced ear for our young players to learn from and if it doesn’t work out it’s only for a few months.

Yeah but that's two mighty big cons and coming from a semi-retirement League is another biggy, plus I don't think Hojlund needs that much guiding on how to play as a centre-forward because he's been filling his boots 12 goals in 16 matches at International level(for Denmark and for United in the Champions League) in the last year or so, a record I doubt Benzema matched in his pomp despite playing for France and Real Madrid.

Rather give Jamie Vardy a call, older than Benzema but knows the League and what's needed, and loves proving people wrong, offer him 12 months coaching the kids next season if he needs a sweetener.

And if we did sign Benzema where is the service to him coming from?
I keep asking this it makes no difference who is up front in that set up they wont score if no one gets the ball to them, ok Hojlund has missed a few but not enough to say he`s failed yet.

And if we did sign Benzema where is the service to him coming from?
I keep asking this it makes no difference who is up front in that set up they wont score if no one gets the ball to them, ok Hojlund has missed a few but not enough to say he`s failed yet.
So what shall we do? Just give up buying strikers? I see your point and it's super valid, but the only hope is planning ahead. We want a good striker for when hopefully ETH's team click. I don't think this is going to happen, but that has to be the hope surely. You're backing Rasmus, as am I, but he needs some help badly. Whether thats from an experienced striker or not I don't care, but the burden he has on him right now needs to be removed and sharpish - even if he and the other striker halve the blame for no goals, at least then this proves 100% that the tactics are bad, or the players he's buying for them don't suit. That is another worry too, the possibility the manager is deploying tactics he doesn't even fully understand. I've read loads of articles, forums, peoples opinions and the growing consensus is that he really doesn't know where to go anymore. Martial goes nowhere in proving or disproving the service is abysmal - he's just given up completely, but another additional striker would go some way in proving what's really up. Benzema would be perfect to prove this, he's a consistent top quality goal scorer, if he was to come and struggle.....

I think we've got to just bite the bullet and wait until the summer when it comes to the squad.

They need to get a serious grip on who they can sell and what the realistic budget it for the summer and target the best players within that budget. Think they'll be looking to clear out all the big earners like Varane, Martial, Sancho, Maguire and Casemiro and invest that money back into some younger players that fit whatever the new INEOS/SJR style is.

Just going to have to stick it out with Hojlund and Martial for the rest of the season and accept it's probably at best a 5th/6th place finish this year and maybe a decent run in the FA Cup.

If we have got the space to bring in a loan it should be someone to be the number 2 to Hojlund not a number 1 in my opinion. I don't think Benzema is that guy if he's coming back to Europe he'll want to play every game.

Of the names that were being chucked around the one that's most likely is probably Chupo-Moting from Bayern on loan they've got Mathys Tel as backup to Kane so they don't really need him anymore.

You've changed your tune in a few posts.

We need a striker, and if there is one available on loan we need to get him imo.

If we leave the squad as it is, ETH is history, and he probably knows that.

I fact, I wonder if the squad think he's history already.

Think I've been pretty consistent we do need a striker and looking back to my first post I said to bring a striker in they probably need to get Martial out. He's apparently turned down moves and is staying so I don't see them bringing in a striker even on loan, fingers crossed there is enough money to bring in another attacking player as we are very short in attack.

If they did bring someone in on loan I think it's more likely to be someone like Chupo-Moting than Benzema. I did get a bit excited about the idea of Benzema but the more I thought about it the less keen I was.

ETH will have to prove in the second half of the season that he's good enough. Hopefully he has his full squad to utilise and show that he's worth keeping, I don't want to go through another manager change and start from scratch. However, if the results and performances are still crap once everyone is fit then he's got to go.

The players I think are still with him but it's in their interest to finish the season strong because no CL means pay cuts next season and nobody likes a pay cut.

@jsp i thought your first post on Benzema was, it's a no brainer

I keep seeing us linked with Jonathon David - for a summer move. I'll check out some Lille games and report back

So what shall we do? Just give up buying strikers? I see your point and it's super valid, but the only hope is planning ahead. We want a good striker for when hopefully ETH's team click. I don't think this is going to happen, but that has to be the hope surely. You're backing Rasmus, as am I, but he needs some help badly. Whether thats from an experienced striker or not I don't care, but the burden he has on him right now needs to be removed and sharpish - even if he and the other striker halve the blame for no goals, at least then this proves 100% that the tactics are bad, or the players he's buying for them don't suit. That is another worry too, the possibility the manager is deploying tactics he doesn't even fully understand. I've read loads of articles, forums, peoples opinions and the growing consensus is that he really doesn't know where to go anymore. Martial goes nowhere in proving or disproving the service is abysmal - he's just given up completely, but another additional striker would go some way in proving what's really up. Benzema would be perfect to prove this, he's a consistent top quality goal scorer, if he was to come and struggle.....
No we don’t give up buying strikers, we..well Eth needs to address the elephant in the room service to the man up front it’s not rocket science it’s glaringly obvious to me.
Thing is can Eth be trusted with signings anymore ? I’m not sure.
And will Benzema want to come to United? I doubt it.

No we don’t give up buying strikers, we..well Eth needs to address the elephant in the room service to the man up front it’s not rocket science it’s glaringly obvious to me.
Thing is can Eth be trusted with signings anymore ? I’m not sure.
And will Benzema want to come to United? I doubt it.
The majority of ETH signings have been failures, at least up until this current date; Weghorst, Antony, Sabitzer, Malacia, Mount, Onana, Reguilon, Amrabat and Hojland. That's a pretty large amount of players, and is worth £300m. Don't know the costs of the loans, but outright buys cost the figure I stated and nothing from them to write home about. Pretty shocking. I don't think he can be trusted with signings, no.

As for Benzema it's probably unrealisitic, but you never know, we can always hope. He's definitely unhappy right now though.

@jsp i thought your first post on Benzema was, it's a no brainer

I keep seeing us linked with Jonathon David - for a summer move. I'll check out some Lille games and report back

i did say at the end of the same post that we need to cut out the short term stuff.

I have changed my mind I want the club to give Hojlund the time this season rather than bring in a guy like Benzema and bench him.

His name has done the rounds a lot in recent years but no one seems to have taken the gamble on him. Is he just a striker or can he also play wide?

Watching a lad play up top for Hoffenheim against Bayern, Wighorse I think he's called, one to keep an eye on!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back