New contract for Mainoo?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think people need to calm down and let the lad play his football and progress as a player. The whole world can see his potential though and it's a problem.

His current deal which he signed about a year ago runs to 2027 so there's no rush but I suspect the club would like to reward him now he's established in the first team setup and tie him down to a longer contract.

Got no issue with rewarding him, he deserves it. I just wish every man and their dog would leave him alone. Fat chance, I know.

I think the plan for this summer should be for him to be a member of the squad not a starter next season.

There's going to be ups and downs with this kid we should not be building a side for next season that relies on him.

If Utd end up in Europa or the Conference it could actually be good for him to play in those sort of european games and get used to all the stuff that comes with the european matches.

Totally agree, he's far too young to have a lot of influence in every match therfore shouldn't be a nailed on starter, but you can already feel the pressure building around him, and it's not good for his development. He needs to be learning from somebody too. I think he has a very long way to go, like light-years, he must be protected.

Yeah I think Utd have got to be looking for 2 centre mids in the summer who are good enough to start every week. Mainoo then supplements them and if we're in europe he'll rotate in and out with them as we'll have 2 games a week.

I'm not sure if Mount could potentially do a job there. He is a #10, but I know from reading bits he's said that he likes to play there [CM] too. It's a possibility. So A ball hunting DM should be the priority as I can't see Cas being good enough from now on.

I don’t think he’s a centre mid was never really convinced by that idea, I think his future will be as a Bruno alternative or wide player.

Will be interesting to see what the future holds for Mainoo will he stay in that deeper role or move further forward.

Yeah, he wouldn't be my first choice for sure, but we do need more information on that. He's had so much time out for us and it's impossible to see where he can fit in without seeing him play in various positions.

I think if he was going to be a centre mid we’d see him come on in games in centre mid. I think they see him now as a utility attacker can fit in anywhere in that 3 behind the striker and do a decent job. More a squad player than a nailed on starter in every game. Was a lot of money to spend on that sort of player but injuries make him hard to judge.

You couldn’t really see him and Mainoo playing together as a midfield 2.

Big job in the summer replacing Casemiro and Eriksen, need two good players in their prime and we won’t have fortunes to spend on them.

I think if he was going to be a centre mid we’d see him come on in games in centre mid. I think they see him now as a utility attacker can fit in anywhere in that 3 behind the striker and do a decent job. More a squad player than a nailed on starter in every game. Was a lot of money to spend on that sort of player but injuries make him hard to judge.

Big job in the summer replacing Casemiro and Eriksen, need two good players in their prime and we won’t have fortunes to spend on them.

Not sure EtH could risk him(Mount) in central midfield before he's got his match-fitness levels up. It would be setting him up to fail.

I think a bit differently. I think Mount was a panic buy, and due to injury he hasn't been able to get any chances playing anywhere. I think ETH's initial plan was to try and find him a role in the team, as his primary position is occupied nearly 100% of the time. That role has not been decided yet and might not ever be taking into consideration a possible new manager. He might just sell him instantly, or decide there is no role for him with us.

I think a bit differently. I think Mount was a panic buy, and due to injury he hasn't been able to get any chances playing anywhere. I think ETH's initial plan was to try and find him a role in the team, as his primary position is occupied nearly 100% of the time. That role has not been decided yet and might not ever be taking into consideration a possible new manager. He might just sell him instantly, or decide there is no role for him with us.

:rolleyes:

Well it makes the most sense considering ETH does not drop Bruno and Mount plays in that exact position. So roll your eyes all you want, but I think the majority of people realise this now. The rules aren't that hard in basic management - you buy players that fit 100% into your team, you don't buy players that become a second wheel for huge amounts of money, it's a massive waste of resources.

Well it makes the most sense considering ETH does not drop Bruno and Mount plays in that exact position. So roll your eyes all you want, but I think the majority of people realise this now. The rules aren't that hard in basic management - you buy players that fit 100% into your team, you don't buy players that become a second wheel for huge amounts of money, it's a massive waste of resources.

Oh yeah the hindsight crew ...

EtH was well aware of Mount's skillset after watching him play in Holland, he tried to sign him for Ajax ffs, do you really think he'd have okayed the signing if he didn't have a plan on how to play Bruno and Mount in the same team - two no.8s with a dependable no.6 behind them would be my guess

ps. A panic buy is somebody bought in the last few hours before the window shuts. Not as soon as the window opens.

Regards, JC the Educator

I don't think he can be called a panic but they signed him right at the start of the summer, I think he was a planned signing. Injuries just mean we haven't seen what the plan was.

I think they probably saw him as someone who'd contribute in a number of roles through the season rather than solve a specific problem.

He's going nowhere all the FFP/PSR nonsense unless someone's willing to cough up 80% of what we paid for him as that's what is still on the books and match his wages. After that injury hit season he'd be a hard player to move on. I think he'll get a fresh start next season under whoever is in charge and hopefully we will see more from him as he is a good player.

I don't think he can be called a panic but they signed him right at the start of the summer, I think he was a planned signing. Injuries just mean we haven't seen what the plan was.

I think they probably saw him as someone who'd contribute in a number of roles through the season rather than solve a specific problem.

He's going nowhere all the FFP/PSR nonsense unless someone's willing to cough up 80% of what we paid for him as that's what is still on the books and match his wages. After that injury hit season he'd be a hard player to move on. I think he'll get a fresh start next season under whoever is in charge and hopefully we will see more from him as he is a good player.
Can't find the information, but I was sure he came near the end of the window. I'll take your word for it and put it down to dodgy memory. Oh well, it was kinda off topic anyways. :)

Yeah I think Utd have got to be looking for 2 centre mids in the summer who are good enough to start every week. Mainoo then supplements them and if we're in europe he'll rotate in and out with them as we'll have 2 games a week.
How much money do you think we will have?

You want 2 CM, at least 2 CB, a forward, a RW, and I'm pretty sure you've mentioned full backs too.

In reality we will get 1 cm, 1 cb a forward, and possibly a replacement for Antony if we can sell him.

Not only will the money not be available, you cannot bring more than 4 new players in imo.

The club must surely be thinking about bringing Sancho and or Greenwood back to save some money.

Greenwood, we all heard it, but the case was dropped and he's got a kid with the girl and they are living together. There must be a way to bring an exceptional talent like that back to the club.

And I don't care how young Mainoo is, if he's the best player in the club at that position, he should play

How much money do you think we will have?

You want 2 CM, at least 2 CB, a forward, a RW, and I'm pretty sure you've mentioned full backs too.

In reality we will get 1 cm, 1 cb a forward, and possibly a replacement for Antony if we can sell him.

Not only will the money not be available, you cannot bring more than 4 new players in imo.

The club must surely be thinking about bringing Sancho and or Greenwood back to save some money.

Greenwood, we all heard it, but the case was dropped and he's got a kid with the girl and they are living together. There must be a way to bring an exceptional talent like that back to the club.

And I don't care how young Mainoo is, if he's the best player in the club at that position, he should play

What did Liverpool pay for Endo and MacAllister about £60m? Utd have to start finding some value signings to fill the gaps in the squad. They're going to need some money from sales but getting big earners off the books also helps the wage bill. I think we need a starting quality CB and 1 reserve plus 2 starters in centre mid and a backup striker. Probably need a backup to Dalot if AWB goes.

I don't think Greenwood will want to come back to England and I don't think Utd want the headache that comes with bringing him back. I don't follow Spanish football enough but sounds like the heat has died down a bit on him over there.

Sancho slightly different circumstances but seems unlikely he returns unless the manager goes which is possible.

I agree he'll get plenty of games but the point was Utd have to have a midfield that isn't totally reliant on this kid, take pressure off him rather than pile it on. Utd need 4 players competing for those 2 spots next season and Mainoo will be one of them.

I think you're being unrealistic about how much squad changes can be made with FFP

Especially without CL money

United will be in a better position with regard to FFP for this summer. The Covid/lockdown year will be chalked off.

A lot depends on who can be sold.

Varane and Martial are both leaving on a free between them that's 30m off the wage bill.
Casemiro and Eriksen could both leave again another 30m off the wage bill and maybe £35m in transfer fees, if Casemiro goes to Saudi as expected.
AWB and Maguire I think could both be sold this summer as they're in the final year of contracts, could be £45m for them.
You then have the guys out on loan like Fernandez, Hannibal, Donny & Pellistri. Between them you might stretch another £20m.

Obviously if we can't get rid of players our ability to spend is massively handicapped but it needs to happen and with no CL football all these players will be taking pay cuts next season so the motivation to move is probably greater. You'd also hope that the new directors coming in are a bit better connected to get these lads moved on to create space for new signings.

Can't find the information, but I was sure he came near the end of the window. I'll take your word for it and put it down to dodgy memory. Oh well, it was kinda off topic anyways. :)

Easy mistake to make, it was 5/6 years ago now ....

And you accuse me of being on drugs :rolleyes:

I've heard it all now, if Mainoo is fit he will be a nailed on starter next season, even if we bring in 2 experienced midfielders.

Some times you've gotta let youngsters fly,, and as a potential generational talent more so, he will like Rooney, Whiteside et al thrive on the added expectation ....

If he stays fit and healthy the world is his lobster.

I'm just saying there needs to be a good standard of competition for his place to keep everyone on their toes.

When he needs time out of the side through his development there has to be quality to come in for him, no ones spot should be guaranteed.

His route into the team has probably been easier because the competition isn't there at the moment but to keep that spot he should be kept on his toes.

Easy mistake to make, it was 5/6 years ago now ....

And you accuse me of being on drugs :rolleyes:
Stop being such a cock, I admitted my error.

Don't bother going on another rant as I am not being drawn into it. Leave it alone, you've won. I can't be bothered.

Stop being such a cock, I admitted my error.

Don't bother going on another rant as I am not being drawn into it. Leave it alone, you've won. I can't be bothered.

Oh stop being so precious, you must've known it was coming

Lighten up ffs, or stop mentioning drugs, simples.

As you were ....

I'm just saying there needs to be a good standard of competition for his place to keep everyone on their toes.

When he needs time out of the side through his development there has to be quality to come in for him, no ones spot should be guaranteed.

His route into the team has probably been easier because the competition isn't there at the moment but to keep that spot he should be kept on his toes.

Aye, fair enough.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back