Deli Alli Overlap

IDFD

I know there is already an Overlap thread but feel this episode deserves a thread of its own.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is the most open interview I've seen given by an active footballer. Best of luck to him and I hope now he's getting help in getting his demons behind him he can return to enjoying the game and get back to the footballer he was.

A must watch interview.

A really raw watch. He has clearly been through a hell of a lot from a young age, so it is no surprise he is struggling with mental health issues now.

This is why no-one should ever be abused online/on forums because you never know what’s happened before or what is currently happening. Criticism of performance is fine but there is a line.

As a fellow mental health sufferer, I applaud him for coming out and telling his story. Sadly it’s probably the media/media trolls that has pushed him to do so, because there has been so much speculation about him and his life.

I just hope he is now getting the right help to get his life back on track. Then hopefully he can progress that to getting his footballing career back on track because you don’t lose you talent, even if you lose yourself a little.

Considering the sheer amount of hell he'd been through before the age of 12, it's a miracle that he's actually functional as an adult. People love to look at the income footballers make and assume they don't have any problems or just because they're on £100k/week they are somehow immune from physiological human reactions to criticism, pressure or abuse; as if being paid a lot of money to play a game makes them inhuman somehow.

Good on Dele for coming out and telling his very human story. Hopefully he's able to get the help and support he needs to heal.

He's from my area used to play sunday league with lads that knew him as a teenager said getting taken in by that family was the best thing that ever happened to him as he was in a pretty sh*t situation with his family.

I wasn't aware of the abuse he suffered that is a horrific thing for anyone to go through and the scars that something like that leaves will never fully heal.

Good to hear he's reached out for help and hopefully that will help him begin a process of learning how to cope with it and the stigma that comes with it.

The worry I guess is has he been forced to reveal his story because as he said the tabloid press were aware of him being at a rehab facility and as we've seen this week with the story from the BBC they are willing to throw stories out there that haven't been fully fact checked. Sounds like he felt he needed to beat them to the story before things got twisted.

Be interesting to see where he ends up next season.

Will a Premier League team take a chance on him like Luton did with Ross Barkley or will he need to drop down in to the Championship to try and come back.

Hope he can get himself fit and make a comeback somewhere. I think a Premier League club would probably take a chance on him. A good example that @jsp with what Luton did for Barkley. I think that’s the sort of move he needs to try and rebuild his career.

Just needs to get himself fit both physically and mentally then find the right environment.

If Burnley go down that might be a good spot for him if he enjoys the quieter life in the North West they should have a competitive team in the championship next season.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back