Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised how well he's settled in to the team! he's playing like he's been with us for ages!! Good to see, and once Valencia returns we'll have even more strength on the wings.

Sir Alex revealed today that he first tried to sign Ashley Young when he was at Watford.

Evra praised for helping Young | Manchester United News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed Patrice Evra is the unsung hero behind Ashley Young's impressive start to life at Old Trafford.

Young, who joined United from Aston Villa for £18million this summer, has enjoyed a superb introduction to his Red Devils career.

The winger scored two excellent goals against Arsenal a fortnight ago to cap a string of solid performances.
Transition

Young's knowledge of Wayne Rooney's game from their time together with England has been cited as the reason why his transition has been so smooth.

Ferguson has spotted something different.

He believes Evra's attack-minded approach to his full-back role has allowed Young more space to display his talents.

"Some players come to a club like ours and find it difficult to settle in but Ashley has done exceptionally well," said the United boss.

"He is versatile and has a good understanding of the game.

"He is getting great support from Evra on the left-hand side. The great experience Patrice brings is very important for a player coming to our club."

United first spotted Young's talent many years ago.

However, Ferguson concedes the 26-year-old is a different player now to the one he kept an eye on back then.
Matured

"We tried to get him when he was at Watford but were just a bit late," he said.

"He has matured at Aston Villa and his form last season was fantastic considering they had a difficult year.

"Since he has come to us, he has taken the challenge very well."

Constant menace, excellent delivery for Smalling's goal worked hard as always.

Very dangerous at times really good header from Nani's cross i didn't think he would score

One of a few positives, good to see him adjust to European football like that.

Bit anonymous today Kelly did well against him he wasn't firing all the time for Villa either though.

Young has been off the boil for the last 3-4 games for my money.

Apart from the first 15 mins he wasnt great by any means

Fergie: Ashley Young has a toe injury that is not going away so he could be out for a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't mind seeing a run of games with Nani on the left.

I know he's only just come back from injury but he isnt good enough to play that role behind the front man

Worked hard, would like to see him there again to be honest. Perhaps should have done better with his chance that came straight after the Berba goal.

Started off looking like he'd been missing a few games (as he just returned from injury), but grew as the game went on. Still our most consistent set-piece taker (why does Nani take the right corners??) and is building a good understanding with Evra. Seems to have lost some of his confidence in beating the defender but that should come back with his form.

What was Young playing at in the last 15 mins. He would want to start upping his performances

Young was quiet in the first half, improved in the second but he's not hitting the heights of his early season form.

Young was always inconsistent at Villa, he was gash today.

Fergie: "It's not so good for Ashley Young. He'll be out for a few weeks."

Shame realy he was starting to play well again. When he is playing I am relaxed watching us cos I feel we're going to score at anytime.

Have to disagree there. After a bright start he's been poor for the majority of the season imo. Don't think he warrants a starting place ahead of Nani, Valencia or Park at the moment, hopefully when he's back from injury he'll begin to find some form again.

He played well when he came on against Fulham, he was poor up until then. He was starting to get his form back again, but now he is injuerd. We always score loads of goals when he plays.

Thought he did alright when he came on the other night, looked lively. Since his injury, he's not been the same, he's not really had the chance either. Not been lucky so far with injuries, like everyone really.

Seems to me that he's lost all ability to take men on and his crossing has suffered massively. The Ashley Young of the first month or so compared to the Ashley Young of the last 3 months is a completely different player.

After watching him regularly for a few years at Villa its only at his very best he's United quality. He's spent the majority of time below what I would consider good enough for us, and since he's joined he's been similar to how he was at Villa. Amazing one week and then indifferent the next 6. Fergie obviously saw something in him but I'm still to be convinced he's good enough and it wasn't Glazernomics involved.

Hope the goal will boost Young's confidence. He needs a run of games which he is likely to get depending on how serious Valencia's injury is.

Thought he was very poor first half. Did a lot better 2nd half and deserved his goal.

I found Young a strange signing didn't really think he commanded that sort of fee and felt he was overhyped looked good in a pretty average Villa side that was setup to get the best of him.

He's not going to get any better but he gives us options but if I was picking my strongest XI he wouldn't be in it but you could do a lot worse than having a player of his quality in reserve.

Personally I find his play largely predictable and his end product isn't great but we need everyone fit for the run in.

My major concern with him was and still is can he really step up to the next level but I think a lot of my frustration with him is how easily he hits the deck every time someone goes near him but I guess that's just part of the game now.

I can see why we signed for Young. He's relatively cheap, we lacked options on the left (Giggs can but not on a regular basis and Park is a defensive option), he can play three attacking positions (left wing, right wing and centrally) and with Premier League experience so could make an immediate impact. A winger from outside the Premier League can take time to adjust to the pace, Nani and Ronaldo are two examples. Young is behind Nani, Valencia and Rooney but he offers an alternative if there are injuries and suitable for the squad rotation Fergie employs.

Young started the season on fire, continuing his England form. His form dipped before his injury in my opinion and he hasn't had a real run in the team since then. He needs to rediscover his early season form, even more so after Valencia's injury last night. He seems to lack confidence to whip in crosses with his left foot so he cuts inside onto his right. It can be predictable but I kinda find Valencia to be predictable - we know what he's going to do but he's so hard to stop. Young needs to find better quality and consistency when he cuts inside.

I understand the reasons for signing Young but at the same time foreign signings can have an instant impact and be quite cheap also. Juan Mata for example only cost 5 million more than Young, he's a couple of years younger and he's been a lot better.

I'm not against Young because I really hope he's a success. I love watching wingers who take on defenders and Young can certainly do that. My criticism all along has just been that we could have done better.

Is a Mata Young comparison a fair one? Young has missed parts of the season through injury and had not had a sustained run in the team for some time. At this moment in time I don't think a fair conclusion of Young's first season can be made due to his injury troubles. Another reason why I think a comparison is unfair is because the two play in two different positions. I wouldn't class Mata as a winger and he wouldn't fit into our system. Stats wise the two are not disimilar - Young has 4 goals and 6 assists in 19 appearances and Mata has 8 goals and 11 assists in 28 appearances.

Are there two wingers out there that will displace Nani and Valencia? Young may not be on the same level as these two but he is a good back-up.

I think Mata is a winger, just a very different one from Young. He wouldn't fit into our system and kind of plays a free role on the left wing drifting around trying to link play and operate as a playmaker. I don't think Young is an amazing signing but he's decent back up for Nani and Valencia. I think when all our wingers are on form we're up there with Bayern for having the best wing players in Europe.

He's English we need English players to comply with homegrown rules in the league and in Europe too, which is going to increase. Because of these rules we must try and get the best English players out there and Young is one of them in my opinion.

6 English players started against Ajax the other night and 2 more (Welbeck and Scholes) came off the bench and another (Smalling) was unused. Compare this to Chelsea yesterday, who started 3 and had 1 on the bench. Ashley Cole was missing, if he wasn't Bertrand wouldn't have played. Terry was also missing, I presume he would have played instead of Luiz but that's not for certain. But in terms of the best English players, is Cahill one of the best? I'm not sure. Sturridge is and could be a lot better in a few years.

As for whether he's better than Mata... no he isn't but Mata was bought by Chelsea as first choice, Young was signed to add more quality to the squad. £4m cheaper than Downing. Good signing.

Is a Mata Young comparison a fair one? Young has missed parts of the season through injury and had not had a sustained run in the team for some time. At this moment in time I don't think a fair conclusion of Young's first season can be made due to his injury troubles. Another reason why I think a comparison is unfair is because the two play in two different positions. I wouldn't class Mata as a winger and he wouldn't fit into our system. Stats wise the two are not disimilar - Young has 4 goals and 6 assists in 19 appearances and Mata has 8 goals and 11 assists in 28 appearances.

I reckon Mata could play on the wing. He's adaptable, like Young. Young certainly has been unlucky with injuries but it was evident before his injuries that Mata was a better player. Maybe it was down to Young being English as Jason says. However I don't think there is much point buying a lad for 18 million and having him on over 100k a week just to have as a squad player. I personally feel Fergie felt Young could get to the next level after joining United, like Yorke did in the past. Time will tell whether he can or not.

Mata could play on the wing, he would drift into central areas just like Park. I disagree it was evident Mata was a better player before Young's injury. Young was highly praised for his early season form, that's not to say Mata is the better player. When buying a player fitting formations and systems is important - in Fergie's preferred system Young is the better option in my opinion. I think Mata is more suited/better in a 433 as a wide forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back