Anthony Martial | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

SuperRash

Doesn’t look like he’s going anywhere anytime soon, so he will still be part of the squad come the new season.

I think he is still injured (surprise surprise) but even with Hojlund we are still a little light upfront, so he still has a role to play.

Think he may surprise a few people this season and become a key player for us.
He’s does nothing in a couple of seasons for us that would suggest that. Plus an underwhelming loan spell for Sevilla.

He looked like he had lost a touch of pace with his injuries. Still technically good but doesn’t to me seem like he has the heart for a fight.

Hope he proves me wrong though because we will need him unless we bring in another forward alongside Hojlund.

I think you plan the season out with him as your 3rd choice striker.

When he's fit you use him but you can't be relying on him to be fit because he rarely is.

Shame that injuries have hit in the way they have as there's plenty of talent there but if you can't stay fit and go at 100% when you are on the pitch you can't play at this level.

He’s does nothing in a couple of seasons for us that would suggest that. Plus an underwhelming loan spell for Sevilla.

He looked like he had lost a touch of pace with his injuries. Still technically good but doesn’t to me seem like he has the heart for a fight.

Hope he proves me wrong though because we will need him unless we bring in another forward alongside Hojlund.

Need to see him in a settled confident winning team playing with a clear identity before I write him off.

a) If we're a settled confident winning team playing with a clear identity, he's nowhere near it.

b) I've seen enough of him on the physio's table to write him off. Can't even show up for preseason fit, ahead of what should be a make or break season for him.

a) If we're a settled confident winning team playing with a clear identity, he's nowhere near it.

b) I've seen enough of him on the physio's table to write him off. Can't even show up for preseason fit, ahead of what should be a make or break season for him.

This is at least his 5th make or break season in a row.

Just time to accept he's broken no one is going to buy him off us his contract runs until 2024 so it'll just be a season of him being a squad player before leaving. Ten Hag should be planning for the season without him.

That's what I mean.

This thread will consist of the following:

Post 1: You're a professional footballer. Run FFS.

Tries to break into a brisk jog. Goes down holding his hamstring.

Post 2: FFS, can't you stay fit?

Post 3: Martial is available to come off the bench at the weekend.

Post 4: Update: A setback in training, and he's out for another 4-6 weeks.

Post 5: Video of Martial knocking them into the top corner from Hotel Football.

Martial comes off the bench after 75 min.

Repeat at post 1.

Quick reminder why United ae so reluctant to part with Martial, okay it was a few yeas ago, but it was -v- Real Madrid, and not some pub team

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nobody else currently at the club could do that, nobody ....

Cue @jsp "Pfft, my dog can do that"

Rashford
Sancho
Amad… at a push

This was 5 years ago during pre season at this point back in 2018 we were probably still thinking Lingard could be a serious player.

Utd haven’t parted with him because no one wants to buy him and pay him 250k a week.

If Martial even tried to move at that speed now he’d be out for 2 weeks which would end up being 8 weeks.

Rashford
Sancho
Amad… at a push

This was 5 years ago during pre season at this point back in 2018 we were probably still thinking Lingard could be a serious player.

Utd haven’t parted with him because no one wants to buy him and pay him 250k a week.

If Martial even tried to move at that speed now he’d be out for 2 weeks which would end up being 8 weeks.

Rashford and Sancho LOL, love your sense of humour sometimes ....

Quick reminder why United ae so reluctant to part with Martial, okay it was a few yeas ago, but it was -v- Real Madrid, and not some pub team

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nobody else currently at the club could do that, nobody ....

Cue @jsp "Pfft, my dog can do that"

Martial can't do that anymore. When was the last time he had a top quality 90 minutes? He's done as a top level footballer. His body is shot and his mentality isn't there.

He's got 17 goals in 3 seasons when he should be hitting his prime. He doesn't get in our starting 11 when everyone is fit.

Rashford and Sancho LOL, love your sense of humour sometimes ....

Here he is looking for an argument again. If you can't see the dribbling ability of those two you aren't watching the same game as everyone else.

Martial is done he's in the Daniel Sturridge/Jack Wilshere stage now his body can't cope with the demands and mentally he's afraid to push himself to the limits required because he fears the injury. Got the big contract so he'll ride it out maybe convince 1 more club to give him another shot and then call it a day.

The talent will always be there and like a classic car there will be times where it runs perfect and takes you back to your youth but there will be other times where on a cold winters morning the thing won't start and leaves you high and dry.

It is a real shame because the talent this guy had was unreal and just as it looked like he'd started to bring his game together under Ole the injuries started hitting and he was never the same player after that.

Martial can't do that anymore. When was the last time he had a top quality 90 minutes? He's done as a top level footballer. His body is shot and his mentality isn't there.

He's got 17 goals in 3 seasons when he should be hitting his prime. He doesn't get in our starting 11 when everyone is fit.

Well yeah, just talking about his ability to effortlessly beat several players(very good players)in a tight area which very few United players past or present could do. It's more a "if only" comment ....

Here he is looking for an argument again. If you can't see the dribbling ability of those two you aren't watching the same game as everyone else.

Give it a rest ffs.

If you can't take the question seriously don't bother, and certainly don't mention two blind-alley runners thinking you are being clever.

Off to the naughty step you go, don't pass 'Go'

Just going to have to agree to disagree mate.

Rashford, Sancho, Amad, Anthony, Garnacho, Pellistri could probably all do that in a pre season game if given the chance.

There's certainly more than enough examples of Rashford and Sancho's dribbling expertise in games that matter to show they pretty damn good at it. Sancho sat half the Liverpool team down with one trick for his goal last season, Rashford routinely has defenders on their backside as well as they can't handle his movement.

Just going to have to agree to disagree mate.

Rashford, Sancho, Amad, Anthony, Garnacho, Pellistri could probably all do that in a pre season game if given the chance.

There's certainly more than enough examples of Rashford and Sancho's dribbling expertise in games that matter to show they pretty damn good at it. Sancho sat half the Liverpool team down with one trick for his goal last season, Rashford routinely has defenders on their backside as well as they can't handle his movement.

Agree to disagree, then tell me why you are right - and i'm the one looking for an argument :rolleyes:

Fit for tonight’s game. Suspect he won’t start but maybe this is the start of his road to full fitne….

Couldn’t even bring myself to write it!

We looked better with Rashford out on the left but Martial was not great. He hasn’t had a pre-season so you could cut him some slack but he looks done. His acceleration is all but gone it seems - just looks totally uninterested by football these days.

We will need him as a squad option but Hojlund being fit cannot come fast enough!

Another striker needs to come in to make him 3rd choice.

The lad is finished he will stick around for the last year of this contract and struggle to find anyone to take him after that.

How was he yesterday? From what I read he wasn’t great

His presence ensured we fulfilled the obligation of having 11 players on the pitch.

Kind of sums up how I feel about him even when he is fit he is a very average striker, has some great games every now and again but most of his performances are very forgettable.

Probably starts away to Arsenal next week as well but this squad needs another centre forward.

Nice ovation when he went off so obviously the match-going fans still back him, the online know-it-alls not so much.

If he gets a chance I’m still confident he’ll put it away like last night (which was a great finish) but it’s his all round game that’s lost a little bit of sharpness and cutting edge.

He's clearly lost his change of speed which is one of the things that made him so dangerous.

Contract is up at the end of the season so hopefully he turns up for us this season looking for his next move as Utd cannot fall into the trap of offering this guy another contract. You can't rely on players who are injury prone.

Still starting as our number 9 - unbelievable!

He’s outlasted Van Gaal, Mourinho, Solskjaer, Rangnick and quite possibly ETH.

Another issue of someone on a massive contract that other clubs are not touching with a barge pole unless on loan.

He'd survive the nuclear bomb that lad just to pick up his £250k a week.

I don't have a problem with him starting the league cup games but the sooner he's replaced the better he's not even a worthwhile backup anymore.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back