Zlatan Ibrahimovic & Wayne Rooney Partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Friendly: Manchester United 5-2 Galatasaray - 30th July 2016

The Ibrahimovic & Rooney partnership could be an interesting discussion point during the course of the season.

What are you first impressions?

Well... I didn't see the game so it's hard to be too critical... But one goal in 45 minutes compared with four in the second? To me it's no coincidence that we had so much pace in the second half that we ripped them apart?

Zlatan absolutely has to start the majority of games so I think Rooney needs to accept a squad role.

Rooney doesn't have the subtlety to his game really. In this system there's a lot of emphasis on the 10 to score goals and create chances... And Rooney doesn't really have the technical ability to create enough chances plus we lack pace then in attack.

Didn't see the game but I'd really like to see a front 4 of Martial, Mkhi, Rashford and Ibra at some point. Everything has to come to an end at some point and Rooney's time is nearing a finish I feel. My personal opinion is he wouldn't be at the club anymore if Fergie had done another season. Like Keane, Van Nistelrooy and others I think he felt he was in decline and thought he should be moved on. I also think that perhaps for us to move on, we need to replace him in the team.

Didn't see the game but I'd really like to see a front 4 of Martial, Mkhi, Rashford and Ibra at some point. Everything has to come to an end at some point and Rooney's time is nearing a finish I feel. My personal opinion is he wouldn't be at the club anymore if Fergie had done another season. Like Keane, Van Nistelrooy and others I think he felt he was in decline and thought he should be moved on. I also think that perhaps for us to move on, we need to replace him in the team.

I'd agree with this... But I think as this year progresses we will see him move in to a squad role more than regular starter. This team lacked pace in attack last year and a big part of that was Rooney. So to bring in Zlatan who also lacks pace you need to put another quick player in there. Rashford should get a fair few games on the right I think.

I also think having just watched the few minutes highlights of Rashford that Rooney needs him in order to be productive as a 10. Rashford will stretch teams and wants to get in behind so Rooney gets more time and space and can use his range of passing to get Rashford in. With Zlatan I noticed he wants to drop deep and get involved with the build up... That won't suit Rooney as he doesn't have the quick technical game able to open teams up with clever one twos and flicks. I guess if Rashford plays from the right you'd still get that but then you want Mkhitaryan involved...?

Rooney likes to look out wide most of the time so perhaps Zlatan could become frustrated?

It will probably work as well as Rooney/van Persie/Falcao.

In recent years, I think Rooney has worked best with pace ahead of him. Good partnerships with Hernandez and in particular Welbeck (2011-12). Partnership with Van Persie was better when he played deeper as part of a midfield 3.

Agreed mate. Rooney needs pace for him to have time and space. I read that Saturday he looked pretty bad first half but as soon as Rashford was introduced he had a guy who ran in behind. Rooney absolutely needs that. So it'll be interesting to see what does happen as the year progresses. I certainly expect them to start the season together even though it wouldn't be my pick.

Wayne Rooney Testimonial: Manchester United 0-0 Everton

Ibrahimovic has been dropping deep so far in the first half. Could we see both play 9.5, with Ibrahimovic the furthest forward?

I thought Ibrahimovic was doing things tonight to try and get Rooney to score. I thought there was some good play between the 2 tonight.

Community Shield: Leicester City 1-2 Manchester United - 7th August 2016

What do we think about their partnership after today's performance?

Too static for me. And both have a tendency to drop deep. We need more bodies in the box.

This attack needs more pace so for me it's not a partnership that's going to last the full season. Ibra wants to drop deep and Rooney doesn't seem to get on beyond him when he does. Plus neither has enough pace to open up space for the other. So for me it's a no go as the season progresses but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Yeah as I said above, same problems as in past with Rooney and Van Persie, both wanting to play as the '9 and a half'. And like Van Persie, I think Ibrahimovic would be better suited to playing alone in 4-3-3 or with pace alongside him. Rooney got injured at start of Van Persie's first season with us, he had Welbeck or Hernandez next to him to provide something different, when Rooney came back Van Persie went off the boil for a bit I recall and then Rooney was moved back in to a midfield 3 most of the time.

I think Ibrahimovic with either Rashford next to him as a pair or with 2 of Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Mkhitaryan, Memphis either side of him is the best option. Pogba best in 4-3-3 and Ibra best in 4-3-3. I think it suits the players we have much more than the 4-2-3-1, certainly now Pogba has come in.

Yeah as I said above, same problems as in past with Rooney and Van Persie, both wanting to play as the '9 and a half'. And like Van Persie, I think Ibrahimovic would be better suited to playing alone in 4-3-3 or with pace alongside him. Rooney got injured at start of Van Persie's first season with us, he had Welbeck or Hernandez next to him to provide something different, when Rooney came back Van Persie went off the boil for a bit I recall and then Rooney was moved back in to a midfield 3 most of the time.

I think Ibrahimovic with either Rashford next to him as a pair or with 2 of Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Mkhitaryan, Memphis either side of him is the best option. Pogba best in 4-3-3 and Ibra best in 4-3-3. I think it suits the players we have much more than the 4-2-3-1, certainly now Pogba has come in.

My only concern with the 4-3-3 formation is who plays alongside Ibra because to try and include Rashford, Martial, Mkhitaryan plus players like Mata, Memphis and Lingard may be a challenge? But what it does give us is options to tweak things and change. Maybe starting with 4-2-3-1 and moving to 4-3-3 if needed or vice versa. I just am not sure Martial and the right sided player give us enough natural width in a 4-3-3? We need a true winger who doesn't need to cut inside and gets chalk on his boots to really stretch the play.

Premier League: Bournemouth 1-3 Manchester United - 14th August 2016

Both scored. Has your opinion changed after today's performance?

For me, I would like to see Ibrahimovic stay at 9 instead of dropping deep.

Not for me.

Both goals came as a result of others not because of them creating chances for each other.

The only time their partnership worked was a lovely flick from Ibra on to Rooney who should have scored. Other than that I didn't think they showed much as a partnership really.

Evaluate after 5-7 games. Thought there was improvement in first half of testimonial, but changes made then, poor last week, improved as game wore on today. Need a lot more.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Southampton - 19th August 2016

First goal-assist.

Yeah that was encouraging for sure... Though the partnership still didn't really create much for each other.

Premier League: Watford 3-1 Manchester United - 18th September 2016

The lack of movement by both players is an issue and hindrance to fluid attacking football.

Yep! Think you can get away with playing Ibra but not two slow players because then it only gives you two quick players in attack to play with them.

As I said elsewhere, our best bit of attacking play was the goal where Zlatan came deep, Rashford came central and they played 1-2's with each other. The chance Zlatan had in the first half came from something similar, he came deep played it out wide to Rashford who ran down the right and crossed for Ibra who really should have scored. There's great potential of a partnership with those 2.

We've got some exciting players we can play together behind Ibrahimovic but it's looking unlikely that we'll see it at the minute unless Mourinho does what he needs to do and make the big call on Rooney.

Again you need to make the d3cision between the two. Zlatan is the one scoring the goals and having the assists.

Again you need to make the d3cision between the two. Zlatan is the one scoring the goals and having the assists.

There's really no decision to be made! Ibra is far and away the better player. Rooney needs to be moved on asap. IE January!

I think if we were to drop him now it would encourage him to want a move by January. I don't really like saying things like this about somebody with his record for the club, but there comes a time for everyone to move on

66% out of 4,265 votes say his time is up.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think if we were to drop him now it would encourage him to want a move by January. I don't really like saying things like this about somebody with his record for the club, but there comes a time for everyone to move on

It's the right time to move Rooney on and I don't take any pleasure in saying that. He's been a great servant and player for us but his time is up.

66% out of 4,265 votes say his time is up.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's pretty darn unanimous! Says it all.

Ibrahimovic has scored goals but his general play has been marginally better than Rooney. Ibrahimovic was poor in the second half against Hull and in the games against City and Watford. Neither Rooney or Ibrahimovic would be in my team.

Ibra would be in mine because he has scored goals and he does get in positions to try and score. I agree he's been poor at times but I'm sure he'll improve and one way to go that is get pace around him!

I would prefer a fluid front three. I don't think that's possible with Ibrahimovic at nine. Rashford is my preference, however no matter how good he is or will become, he is still only a teenager. We are reliant on an 18/19 year old and 34/35 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back