Status
Not open for further replies.
Premier League: Everton 1-1 Manchester United - 4th December 2016

Cracking finish.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Europa League: Zorya Luhansk 0-2 Manchester United - 8th December 2016

7 goals in his last 6 games.

There's two things I love about that goal...

1) The vision and weight of pass by Pogba. That's the kind of thing we want to see from him with all the qualities he's got. What a sublime piece of play.

2) The pace and destination of Fosu-Mensah to get past defenders and support Ibra. I know he was not needed, I know he wasn't involved but that was real pace!

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Tottenham Hotspur - 11th December 2016

He was good. His hold up play was impressive.

Premier League: Crystal Palace 1-2 Manchester United - 14th December 2016

Great finish. Get in.

What a finish. When I saw him get on the ball and keep heading away from goal I thought that it was another opportunity missed and didn't realize that we had scored till the players started celebrating.

Mourinho:

During the media briefing, the manager was also asked if it is impossible to leave 35-year-old Zlatan Ibrahimovic out of the team after scoring eight goals in as many matches, despite his advancing years.

“It is, it is," Mourinho told reporters. "But tomorrow is a last effort, and then they will have a week without football and that week is a week that my players need, especially a guy like him.

"He’s a striker and sometimes, in other positions, you can hide yourself a little bit more and protect yourself with experience and position. As a striker, I think it’s one of the impossible positions where you can hide. He’s doing phenomenal, and tomorrow he’s going to play again, and then one week to rest.”

Premier League: West Bromwich Albion 0-1 Manchester United - 17th December 2016

15th and 16th goals of the season.

Too old. Too slow. Won't do anything in England. Won't even score 10 goals.

Getting better with every game, a remarkable achievement at 35. One of the best professionals i've seen in the game, he's played for many clubs but he's like a one club man. In great shape, still striving for more and very dedicated to the cause. He wants us to be the best, there's a lot of players his age who would be happy to turn up with us and do enough to pick up his pay cheque, not this man. When you sign a player like this, there's always an excitement with it being a big name (Falcao, Schweinsteiger) but there's also a worry that they're only in it for their last pay cheque, great to see that it's not the case here.

Manchester United top scorers this season in all competitions:

Ibrahimovic (16)
Pogba (5)
Mata (5)
Martial (4)
Rashford (4)

Are we over dependent on zlatan's goal. He has been phenomenal for us. He is defying all odds at his age.

He's massively exceeded my expectations. His general play and goal scoring form in the last month has been very impressive.

Of course we need more goals from others, I think that should come if 2 wide players are given a run in the team, at the moment it's changing too much. Personally i'd prefer 2 of Mkhitaryan, Martial and Rashford either side of Ibrahimovic, think we need pace next to him, Mkhi an absolute must. Lingard in the mix when rotation needed. Rooney not scoring. Mata lacks pace but has goals and assists in him and can provide something different if pace not working or if we need to play a 4231 system.

Yeah, ideally we need goals from others, but it's not a surprise to see Ibrahimovic so far ahead given that he's played nearly every minute and our attacked is geared towards him.

How do we compare against the teams above us in the league:

Chelsea
Costa 13
Hazard 8
Moses 3
Pedro 3
Willian 3

City
Aguero 10
Sterling 5
Nolito 4
Gundogan 3
Iheanacho 3

Liverpool
Mane 7
Lallana 6
Coutinho 5
Firmino 5
Milner 5
Origi 4

Arsenal
Sanchez 12
Walcott 8
Ozil 5
Giroud 3
Cazorla 2

Spurs
Kane 7
Eriksen 5
Son Heung-Min 5
Alli 4
Rose 2

United
Ibrahimovic 11
Mata 3
Pogba 3
Rashford 3
Martial 1

Chelsea, City, Arsenal and United's attacks are geared towards their striker, hence why the leading goal scorer is comfortably ahead of the second placed man. Where as Liverpool don't play with a proper striker and their goals are more shared out.

I think Mkhitaryan is the man to ease the burden, not only by scoring himself but also by assisting. His record albeit in Germany speaks for itself, he's capable of a combined 15-20 goals and assists if he can stay fit and stay in the team when he returns. You'd expect a little more from Pogba too, 3 goals and 2 assists so far, i'd like to see that go to 10 and 10 by end of the season, that's what he should be targeting.

Premier League: Manchester United 3-1 Sunderland - 26th December 2016

Manchester Utd's last seven goals: Mkhitaryan (assist Zlatan), Zlatan, Blind (assist Zlatan), Zlatan, Zlatan, Zlatan, Pogba (assist Zlatan).

Magic.

2 goals on New Years Eve and he beats Messi for most goals in 2016. Currently 2nd ahead of Suarez. Regardless of what league he played in last season that is incredible for a player of 35 years old.

Not sure if he's going to be able to keep playing this regularly mind. Might rest him for Boro and keep him for West Ham away or he might just keep him going and rest him for the cup games coming up before the Liverpool game.

Premier League: West Ham United 0-2 Manchester United - 2nd January 2017

Top finish.

Fair play to the man, not a great game from him but not many thought he'd play 180 mins in the last 2 games. Probably needs a rest now.

Fair play to the man, not a great game from him but not many thought he'd play 180 mins in the last 2 games. Probably needs a rest now.

You'd like to think Jose will rest him next week in the FA cup? Well by next week I mean Saturday... That's a perfect chance to give Rashford or even Martial up front.

Yeah would like to see Rashford given a go upfront with first choice team around him. Really like the idea of a Mkhi, Martial and Rashford front 3.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-1 Liverpool - 15th January 2017

Excellent finish. Felt he and Pogba weren't up to the pace of the game, probably never played in a game with such intensity.

Premier League: Stoke City 1-1 Manchester United - 21st January 2017

He looks tired. He shouldn't be involved against Hull and possibly only on the bench against Wigan. There's an international break in a month which will help.

Premier League: Stoke City 1-1 Manchester United - 21st January 2017

He looks tired. He shouldn't be involved against Hull and possibly only on the bench against Wigan. There's an international break in a month which will help.

Yeah the one thing I'd like to see Jose do better is manage Ibra. We are reliant on him for his goals and at this rate he'll burn out before the season is over. It's a much tougher league here in England and so Jose needs to be careful! Leave him out of the next 2 games to give him a break. We really shouldn't need him to see off Hull (with a 2 goal head start) and Wigan.

Not used to not having a winter break and played every minute over Xmas/New Year, bound to take it's toll.

Premier League: Leicester City 0-2 Manchester United - 5th February 2017

20th goal of the season.

He was terrible in the first half; he was sloppy and looked uninterested. His showing in the second half was one of his best in while; he was class.

Europa League: Manchester United 3-0 St Etienne - 16th February 2017

Bizarre performance.

Who was the last player to score a hat trick for us? I'm thinking Van Persie v Olympiakos in the CL! Surely someone else since?

Thought overall he played well tonight but I didn't like his celebration after the first goal. I know it's a silly thing to pick on but I didn't like his arrogance after that particular goal. Look that's the kind of guy he is and we love that... But it wasn't meant and so you don't throw your arms up like you've just produced a moment of genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back