World Cup 2022: France

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2 big players for them out.

They must be concerned about Varane too.

Benzema out of the World Cup according to ESPN.

Late call-up for Martial?
Very doubtful I would say. Most likely be Ben Yedder.

Also really hope it’s not for selfish United reasons - I wouldn’t trust him getting through a tournament unscathed! And with Ronaldo probably having his contract terminated, we need him to stay fit for the rest of the season even if we get a new striker in January.

Massive blow for France though, I think without Benzema they have gone down a little in the favourites tag. Missing Pogba, Kante, Nkunku and Benzema will be tough for them. Also potentially not having Varane for a few games.

Not sure they’ll call up anyone as a replacement. Deschamp said he wasn’t a fan of the bigger squad.

Such a shame that Benzema won’t play having missed out in 2018.

It's a shame that Benzema the football talent won't be able to shine on the biggest stage. Unfortunately for the football talent, Benzema the human being has some karma coming his way, and that's not a shame at all.

Very doubtful I would say. Most likely be Ben Yedder.

Also really hope it’s not for selfish United reasons - I wouldn’t trust him getting through a tournament unscathed! And with Ronaldo probably having his contract terminated, we need him to stay fit for the rest of the season even if we get a new striker in January.

Massive blow for France though, I think without Benzema they have gone down a little in the favourites tag. Missing Pogba, Kante, Nkunku and Benzema will be tough for them. Also potentially not having Varane for a few games.

It's a funny one, I'll be happy if he is called up, and happy if he isn't.

And on Ben Yedder, surprised he wasn't in the original squad, so he's either injured, not fully recovered from an injury or just woefully out of form, the fact they called untried Randal Kolo Muani up to replace Nkunku over Ben Yedder suggests that's the case.

The fact Muani was called up suggests the French knew Benzema would probably not make it as he's a target man, and Nkunku(and Ben Yedder)are both fizz bombs who play in and around a target man.

Think @jsp may be right, wouldn't be surprised if Deschamp goes with what he's got.

Lucas Hernandez the latest to be ruled out for the tournament. They’ve had some rotten luck with injuries.

Lucky for them his brother Theo is a very handy deputy.

Just heard Mbappe interviewed. Didn't realise his English was so good, probably practising for when he signs for united....

he was saying he's not interested in the golden boot or records, just concentrated on winning the WC.

Poch yesterday was saying he's good lad, all the stuff written about him being difficult and picking teams is nonsense

I think a lot of the negativity that comes his way is he's very particular about what he wants his name associated with and he isn't willing to do a lot of press.

He caused a few issues before the tournament as he didn't want to take part in adverts for I think KFC who are one of France's big sponsors as he didn't want to promote junk food. Similarly he doesn't really want to promote alcohol or gambling either which is his decision and should be respected.

Playing for PSG is going to attract a lot of negative attention as well because of who they are and how they've rattled cages amongst the elite since their takeover.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back