World Cup 2022: England vs Wales ~ Tue 29th Nov 7pm KO

You can really tell Rashford is enjoying football again.
Thought he was a little sloppy in the first half but really came alive in the second half. Superb free kick and very good individual play for the second. Got to start in the knockouts.

Joint top scorer. Raise your hand if you saw that coming 12 months ago.

Whatever personal hell he was going through is hopefully/thankfully over and it’s a joy to see him back for club and country. Long may it continue.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Surely this bodes well for the second half of the season.

Supreme second half performance by the whole team, and as I picked him out as a wtf pick, think he deserves a well played to Henderson

England seemed really unsure of themselves until the first goal.

I'd keep Rashford as a sub, as he'll be more used to that role than Sterling. We need both of them playing well if we're to win it.

Supreme second half performance by the whole team, and as I picked him out as a wtf pick, think he deserves a well played to Henderson

Henderson was awful. Get you think he shouldn't have started and are over compensating but I'd stick to your guns.

Marcus Rashford yesterday became the first Manchester United player to score 3 goals for England at a major tournament since Sir Bobby Charlton did it at the 1966 World Cup.

Henderson was awful. Get you think he shouldn't have started and are over compensating but I'd stick to your guns.
I thought he did ok, and the commentry team said he was very vocal, telling everyone what to do, instigating the press.

Thought Southgate got it spot on with the team selection we took our time to break them down but we made sure they couldn't get their attacking danger men in the game at all and absolutely bossed the possession. The midfield pressed really well when we did give it away to make sure it was won back quickly.

Moment of quality to get the opening goal from Rashford then punished them with our quality after that.

I think that line up could be the one he sticks with for the next game although Henderson took a big whack of Ramsey late on which may bring Phillips back into contention for the Senegal match.

Group stage boxed off nicely 2 wins 1 draw 9 goals scored 2 conceded 2 clean sheets. Think it's 5 different goal scorers as well so confidence should be high amongst the attacking players going into the knockout games.

Wales were really poor it looks like the end of the road certainly for Ramsey and Allen maybe Bale can do 1 last campaign if he fancies it. I actually think Ramsey is a hinderance more than a help at this point for that team. Will be tough for them to get to euro 2024 but it's time to start that rebuilding process.

England seemed really unsure of themselves until the first goal.

I'd keep Rashford as a sub, as he'll be more used to that role than Sterling. We need both of them playing well if we're to win it.
I think you have to look at who looks likely to do the better from the start. That man is definitely Rashford right now - Sterling has been poor for Chelsea this season and looks like has lost some confidence.

I would also prefer Foden over Saka from the start as well.

Think the way he's using players at the moment it looks like it'll be between Foden/Saka on the right and it's between Sterling/Rashford/Grealish on the left. In terms of that spot in the middle of the 3 he's got Mount/Bellingham/Maddison.

The great strength in the wide areas is that all of the wide players with the exception of Grealish could all play on either wing he's the only one who I'd say is 100% on the left only. I can't see him going into any of the other positions and he seems to be a guy that Southgate likes to use as an impact sub rather than from the start a role that I think suits him.

Think in games like that where the opponent is just sitting in and being hard to break down you just need to keep your cool and wait for the first goal to come.

At the euros England didn't really use the wide players as the tournament went on it was Sterling pretty much up top with Kane as a two and Mount dropping back into a midfield 3. The width came from the wing backs.

With all these wingers in form it's going to be hard for him to drop them.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back