World Cup 2022: England vs USA - Friday 25th Nov 7pm KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
England have a chance to secure qualification with a win which would be a huge bonus giving us some flexibility for the final group game in terms of rotation.

You would expect Southgate to stick with the team that beat Iran on Monday. The 4-3-3 system worked well but there are two injury concerns going into the game. Kane requires a scan on his ankle today and Maguire had to come off in the last game with illness.

Given the situation in the group Southgate might look to rest both of them if there's any risk of them not being at their best. I don't see any benefit of taking needless risks with them given how important they are to the team.

Even without Kane and Maguire you'd hope England have enough to beat USA who made a bright start vs Wales but faded badly they've got a few decent players but really if our lads turn up and match the intensity from USA our higher talent levels should see us through.

USA aren't going to park the bus they'll look to play and leave some space in behind which would suit Wilson if he did get the start and if England are able to get ahead we saw the firepower off the bench in the first game that could really put a tired opponent away in the second half.

Could be a classic, could be the most boring match at the tournament.

Be interesting to see how Shaw copes with Dest/Yedlin running at him for 90 115 minutes, it could make or break him.

I'd like to think that we'll control possession enough to pin them back in their own half rather than allow them to come forward.

Shaw is used to that sort of challenge it's not like he gets much help from his winger at Utd.

Kane, Maguire and Walker all fit to play.

Maddison is the only player not available hasn't trained with the team yet due to injury, a real shame for him.

I'd like to think that we'll control possession enough to pin them back in their own half rather than allow them to come forward.

Shaw is used to that sort of challenge it's not like he gets much help from his winger at Utd.

Not sure he is, he'll be blowing out his arse after 20 minutes if they keep getting at him.

Not sure he is, he'll be blowing out his arse after 20 minutes if they keep getting at him.

We shall see but he's often left exposed to look after the left side on his own in club football.

In terms of stopping the counter really that's down to the team keeping possession and when it's lost making sure they get pressure on the ball to stop the quick passes forward into that space.

If that's their main outlet we might see England be a bit more cautious from the left and allow Trippier to go forward more on the right side with Saka.

Think Southgate might bring Henderson in for Mount(should be Sterling but for some reason he's undroppable) to control the midfield, if they do they'll win comfortably, if they lose that part of the pitch it will be a long 90/100+ minutes.

I think that would be a huge mistake far to cautious against an average opponent, we have the better players we should be the one looking to take the game to them. You have to trust that our boys will turn up.

Henderson would make some sense if you're going to bring in TAA and have both full backs bombing forward to give you that extra security of the 3 man midfield. Given who our attackers are not sure we want to be slinging in crosses to score goals as Saka/Sterling don't really attack balls in the air you'd be looking for Kane or Bellingham.

I think that would be a huge mistake far to cautious against an average opponent, we have the better players we should be the one looking to take the game to them. You have to trust that our boys will turn up.

Henderson would make some sense if you're going to bring in TAA and have both full backs bombing forward to give you that extra security of the 3 man midfield. Given who our attackers are not sure we want to be slinging in crosses to score goals as Saka/Sterling don't really attack balls in the air you'd be looking for Kane or Bellingham.

Average opponents!? If their central defenders had a bit more pace, and their fullbacks could actually defend they'd be good enough for the QF's, and after that who knows.

Average opponents!? If their central defenders had a bit more pace, and their fullbacks could actually defend they'd be good enough for the QF's, and after that who knows.

I will admit I don't see a lot of them but on paper I don't see to much to be afraid of.

If you made a combined XI it's all England players and that's not me being arrogant it's just a fact. Our bench is full of players that walk into their first XI. They've got a couple of players who on their day can cause teams problems in Dest, McKennie and Pulisic but they aren't consistent.

For world cup standard I'd say they're a second round side with the way the fixtures have worked out I'm not even sure they get out of the group.

England have to show respect and not take them lightly but to be honest from what I saw in the first game England should be beating them pretty comfortably.

I will admit I don't see a lot of them but on paper I don't see to much to be afraid of.

If you made a combined XI it's all England players and that's not me being arrogant it's just a fact. Our bench is full of players that walk into their first XI. They've got a couple of players who on their day can cause teams problems in Dest, McKennie and Pulisic but they aren't consistent.

For world cup standard I'd say they're a second round side with the way the fixtures have worked out I'm not even sure they get out of the group.

England have to show respect and not take them lightly but to be honest from what I saw in the first game England should be beating them pretty comfortably.

Like in 1950 ....

Like in 1950 ....

No sure what a game 72 years ago has to do with this one but yeah I back us to win this one easily.

The benefit today is our coaches know the opponent inside out we know all their players, we know how they play, what they're good at and what they're not good at. Back in 1950 you didn't know much about the opponent.

Upsets can happen in football as we've seen in the last 2 days but anyone looking at these two sides would surely be saying England will be expected to win by a few goals.

I wouldn't rule out USA going ahead or causing us a few problems early on but once England settle into the game I think they'll pick them apart and grab a few goals

with our defence I can see them scoring, but I think we'll win

2 - 1

No sure what a game 72 years ago has to do with this one but yeah I back us to win this one easily.

The benefit today is our coaches know the opponent inside out we know all their players, we know how they play, what they're good at and what they're not good at. Back in 1950 you didn't know much about the opponent.

Upsets can happen in football as we've seen in the last 2 days but anyone looking at these two sides would surely be saying England will be expected to win by a few goals.

I wouldn't rule out USA going ahead or causing us a few problems early on but once England settle into the game I think they'll pick them apart and grab a few goals

We'll see, but i'm sure England's fans were confident of beating America, and comfortably, in the group stage at the 2010 World cup as well, that finished 1-1, and this American side is a darn sight better one than their side that year ....

We'll see, but i'm sure England's fans were confident of beating America, and comfortably, in the group stage at the 2010 World cup as well, that finished 1-1, and this American side is a darn sight better one than their side that year ....

I was confident and if our keeper hadn't chucked in an absolute howler we'd probably have beaten them 1-0 without being at our best. If Rooney was anywhere near fit we'd probably have caused them more problems but he was nowhere near fit at that tournament.

Not sure I'd agree with that they had a decent side in 2010 made it to the quarter finals. I looked at their squad for that tournament and it didn't look much worse on paper than this one. A few lads who'd done well in the premier league and in Europe. Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Micheal Bradley, Carlos Bocanegra, Jay Demerit, Demarcus Beasley stand out. No superstars but decent pro's.

But their CB's don't have pace. Their full backs can't defend and you don't fancy them for the quarters which ays you think they're fairly average.

But their CB's don't have pace. Their full backs can't defend and you don't fancy them for the quarters which ays you think they're fairly average.

No, I'm saying if their 4 defenders were better quality they'd be dark horses to win it. And there will be 4/5 average sides in the Q-F's anyway.

I was confident and if our keeper hadn't chucked in an absolute howler we'd probably have beaten them 1-0 without being at our best. If Rooney was anywhere near fit we'd probably have caused them more problems but he was nowhere near fit at that tournament.

Not sure I'd agree with that they had a decent side in 2010 made it to the quarter finals. I looked at their squad for that tournament and it didn't look much worse on paper than this one. A few lads who'd done well in the premier league and in Europe. Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Micheal Bradley, Carlos Bocanegra, Jay Demerit, Demarcus Beasley stand out. No superstars but decent pro's.

That side did have some talented players but this group has more depth, more experience of tournament football(despite covid), and are better coached.

Like the way you snook Jay Demerit in there and hoped I didn't notice ;)

That side did have some talented players but this group has more depth, more experience of tournament football(despite covid), and are better coached.

Like the way you snook Jay Demerit in there and hoped I didn't notice ;)

At the time he played for Watford didnt he? He was the 2010 version of Tim Ream.

At the time he played for Watford didnt he? He was the 2010 version of Tim Ream.

He did, he had one season in the Premier League, and his is a great story, but apart from being the same height, and both yanks there is no similarity, one is a talented ballplaying defender, and the other was called Jay.

He did, he had one season in the Premier League, and his is a great story, but apart from being the same height, and both yanks there is no similarity, one is a talented ballplaying defender, and the other was called Jay.

Ball playing is generous their fans shout REAM everytime he boots the ball out of play and they do it a lot.

He's much improved this season he was a disaster when they came up a few years ago.

I think it was a fair comparison both players were good Championship players but struggled in the prem which doesn't make you a bad player.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

USA holding their shape well off the ball England struggling to find the way through.

England need to find a bit more sharpness in the passing and some of the attackers need to start looking in behind a bit rather than coming short.

Trippier having a shocker think we might see Walker second half.

I'd have Sterling off for Rashford too. He's been non existent.

I'd have Saka off for Rashford, change sides with sterling
I don't get what mount adds. He clearly does something because everyone loves him but I don't see it. I'd have him off for Foden
Maguire has been terrible and I'm glad I'm not the only thinks it or I'd be crucified in here

Surprised anyone thinks Maguire's been awful. Can't think of anything he's done wrong. Actually had him as our best player dominated the numerous balls in to our box. Getting his head on basically every single one.

Agree on Mount. Don't get it. Shouldn't be near the side.

Maguire has been ok no worse than the others.

Sterling, Saka and Mount just haven’t got into the game. Saka got into good positions a few times early on but final ball was poor.

Give them 15 minutes to sort it out if they don’t make the changes.

Shaw currently the only player on the pitch willing to go at his man one vs one.

Think it needs Grealish or Foden to be honest someone capable of taking the ball under pressure and taking on his opponent.

Surprised anyone thinks Maguire's been awful. Can't think of anything he's done wrong. Actually had him as our best player dominated the numerous balls in to our box
Keane and Neville, and me, thought otherwise

Maguire again winning the ball when it comes in. Every single time. Unsure the criticism of him.

And again.

He's single handedly Keeping us level at the moment.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back