World Cup 2022 Day 5: Switzerland v Cameroon; Brazil v Serbia; Uruguay v South Korea; Portugal v Ghana

Sideshow Bob

Group G: Switzerland v Cameroon, 10am
Group G: Brazil v Serbia, 7pm
Group H: Uruguay v South Korea, 1pm
Group H: Portugal v Ghana, 4pm

This schedule is killing me, if somebody had told me a few years ago I'd watch the first two matches, have to go to bed for a few hours whilst I recorded the third match, then watch that match when I got up whilst the fourth match is recording, then watch that match before i'm ready for bed again, I'd have laughed.

Good start to the day, an enjoyable match, the Swiss just about deserved to win, something nobody has said about them for the last 3 tournaments where their default is stink the place out.

Switzerland were always an odd side.

Very hard to score against their keeper is a great shot stopper but up front they were always so wasteful. I can see them getting to the semi finals bit like Denmark at the euros just seems like their best guys are all coming in on good form.

Sort of limited to 1 game per day at the moment only watching the 4th game. Looking forward to the Brazil vs Serbia game tonight.

Get yourself in that shop window he needs to get himself in someone's first team ASAP.

Don't think EtH will want to sell him, and if he can't get his RB of choice he might covert Pellistri to be back-up RB to Dalot, and use him occasionally as somebody to spell Antony on the right-wing.

Don't think EtH will want to sell him, and if he can't get his RB of choice he might covert Pellistri to be back-up RB to Dalot, and use him occasionally as somebody to spell Antony on the right-wing.

Think with Sancho and Elanga he's got cover on the right wing.

If he's watched him for the last 4 months in training and not stuck him on the pitch I just think we have to assume he doesn't fancy him.

My guess is the plan is to sell him and use that money to buy a right back in the summer.

Think with Sancho and Elanga he's got cover on the right wing.

If he's watched him for the last 4 months in training and not stuck him on the pitch I just think we have to assume he doesn't fancy him.

My guess is the plan is to sell him and use that money to buy a right back in the summer.

If Antony was out for any length of time I wouldn't want either of them to start on the right, Elanga is better on the left or centrally, and a traffic cone would be more useful than Sancho because he hasn't got the pace or skillset to play there.

I'm sure he's watched Garnacho for the same period of time as well, and finding, as all the Managers since SAF, that sticking kids in is getting harder and harder to do when every result counts. One defeat and the club is in crisis ....

Think he's been to Rooney and Conti's barber, he's definitely got more hair than he had a decade ago.

If Antony was out for any length of time I wouldn't want either of them to start on the right, Elanga is better on the left or centrally, and a traffic cone would be more useful than Sancho because he hasn't got the pace or skillset to play there.

I'm sure he's watched Garnacho for the same period of time as well, and finding, as all the Managers since SAF, that sticking kids in is getting harder and harder to do when every result counts. One defeat and the club is in crisis ....

Sancho played very well for Dortmund there when he broke through. I tend to agree on Elanga, personally I don't think he'll make the grade at Utd and will probably be out on loan next season to get regular playing time. Not sure what is going on with Amad he's got himself into the Sunderland team this season so maybe next season he comes back and gets a chance.

You can't just keep kids around Pellistri is stuck in that no mans land between being to good for U21 football but not good enough for first team football.

These young kids need to be playing regularly at this age.

I agree it's very tough to blood youngsters especially in a side that isn't dominating games and winning comfortably which makes the decision to spend so much on Pellistri an odd one. Pellistri has been on the bench quite a bit this season but he's yet to come on in any of the games suggests to me the manager doesn't really fancy him.

At some point the club has to make decisions on these kids we can't keep them all Pellistri to me looks like one that will likely go on loan in January and if he did well Utd would probably look to sell like they did with Garner and they will do with Henderson this summer.

Anyway how is he doing in this game?

Sancho played very well for Dortmund there when he broke through. I tend to agree on Elanga, personally I don't think he'll make the grade at Utd and will probably be out on loan next season to get regular playing time. Not sure what is going on with Amad he's got himself into the Sunderland team this season so maybe next season he comes back and gets a chance.

You can't just keep kids around Pellistri is stuck in that no mans land between being to good for U21 football but not good enough for first team football.

These young kids need to be playing regularly at this age.

I agree it's very tough to blood youngsters especially in a side that isn't dominating games and winning comfortably which makes the decision to spend so much on Pellistri an odd one. Pellistri has been on the bench quite a bit this season but he's yet to come on in any of the games suggests to me the manager doesn't really fancy him.

At some point the club has to make decisions on these kids we can't keep them all Pellistri to me looks like one that will likely go on loan in January and if he did well Utd would probably look to sell like they did with Garner and they will do with Henderson this summer.

Anyway how is he doing in this game?

Huh? It was about £8m for one of the best young talents in South America, a guy who is established for Uruguay despite not establishing himself at club level, well worth a punt.

Funnily enough he's been better on the defensive side of things today, but the last few minutes he's getting forward to put some crosses in, and with Cavani on now he only needs to get one right, so far he hasn't.

5/6 performance, but not bad for his first World cup match.

Huh? It was about £8m for one of the best young talents in South America, a guy who is established for Uruguay despite not establishing himself at club level, well worth a punt.

Funnily enough he's been better on the defensive side of things today, but the last few minutes he's getting forward to put some crosses in, and with Cavani on now he only needs to get one right, so far he hasn't.

5/6 performance, but not bad for his first World cup match.

I can understand why we did it but our handling of him since then has been poor he spent 18 months at Alaves being in and out of the team and he's spent 12 months at Utd not playing first team football.

There's obviously talent there we all saw the youtube stuff a wonderfully balanced dribbler but no real end product he needs to get himself playing a decent level of first team football.

Been a lot of change at the club since he came in just don't get the impression that he's going to get a chance with so many people already ahead of him in the queue.

If Utd could get their money back I think they'd be wise to take it and let him develop elsewhere.

C'mon you sad saps, hands up if you were praying for Ronaldo to miss the penalty and Ghana go on to win as a result of him missing?

I wanted him to miss for the lolz.

We are getting linked with the Portugal keeper a lot that balls up could have saved us a few quid.

I wanted him to miss for the lolz.

We are getting linked with the Portugal keeper a lot that balls up could have saved us a few quid.

Didn't even realise he was playing in the first-half, but in the second, let's just say you don't get much for £60m these days.

Didn't even realise he was playing in the first-half, but in the second, let's just say you don't get much for £60m these days.

He was moments away from being on a Danny Baker DVD this Christmas.

Anyway how much are we signing SMS this January for?

Looked great in the second half, especially after Neymar went off.

A few years ago I was at the camp nou watching the Barca derby. Never rated kluivert, and this game made me feel right, poor touch, awful decision making, terrible game, get him off I said. Then he banged in two goals.
See Richarlison tonight

I didn't think Brazil looked that great. Game appeared to be a training match and shot practise.

Their full backs are there to be got at. Serbia were just very poor.

What a finish though.

They had no midfield no midfield today. Certainly didn't stand out in a midfield crying out for someone to take control.

I thought Brazil were quite cute yesterday, they were happy to go through the motions knowing when the gaps opened up as they always will around the 65 minute mark they had more than another talent on the pitch(and on the bench) to take advantage, and they did.

Not sure they will be able to play that open against the better teams, Fred surely must come back in to partner Casemiro, and wouldn't be surprised if it's for Neymar who looked injured any way. Mind he probably came out of the womb limping looking for sympathy.

He's supremely talented and I'd love him at the club but he had a quiet game yesterday, but I was impressed with his Bro, a bit of a late bloomer only just establishing himself at Torino in the last year or so, maybe we should look to bring him back to the club even as a back-up whilst we decide what to do with Shay Given David De Gea. £10m should do the trick, though if he continues to impress at the World cup ....

Sergej might be move willing to push for a move to United if Vanja is already at the club as well.

He's supremely talented and I'd love him at the club but he had a quiet game yesterday, but I was impressed with his Bro, a bit of a late bloomer only just establishing himself at Torino in the last year or so, maybe we should look to bring him back to the club even as a back-up whilst we decide what to do with Shay Given David De Gea. £10m should do the trick, though if he continues to impress at the World cup ....

Sergej might be move willing to push for a move to United if Vanja is already at the club as well.
Really? I wasn’t that impressed at all to be honest. He jumped over the ball for the first goal and granted the second goal was a worldie but overall thought he looked like an okay keeper, nothing more. Probably at the correct level being at Torino.

They had no midfield no midfield today. Certainly didn't stand out in a midfield crying out for someone to take control.

Well the man who had it all under control was our boy Casemiro strolled through that game in pipe and slippers. Bossed the centre of the park and almost scored a beauty.

Brazil looked poor first half but much better second half the goal was coming and once they got that first one and Serbia had to start coming out a bit more they found so much space. If they'd been a bit sharper in the final third it could have been a big win. The firepower they've got off the bench could be key in these conditions with the extra injury time I think teams are going to drop off massively in the last part of games.

Thought the Serbia keeper looked ok he's a big old lump but he made some good saves and dominated the balls into the box. He got away with one though when he passed that ball to his defender who clearly didn't want it and Raphinha nicked it from him, he did make up for it with a save but he got away with a big one there.

Serbia just couldn't get any real control in the game Mitrovic didn't get a sniff all game.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back