When did it start to go wrong for Mourinho?

Sideshow Bob

For me, the start of the slippery slope can be traced back to when Mourinho flirted with PSG to gain a new contract. Things didn’t seem quite right after that. I think he lost the trust of the players and the board as a consequence. The team started to underperform with greater frequency and it’s possibly the reason why he wasn’t fully backed in the summer transfer window.

What say you?

I think more when he started attacking the club and Woodward in preseason. Already set the tone.

For me it was the summer when the club didn't back him. All last season I had assumed (out of hope really) our style of play was because he didn't trust the defence. With no CB's coming in I think that was the end. It was clear we needed them and it just felt like the club didn't trust him from that moment. He then reverted to type and it just became a train wreck.

I am not sure what Woodward was doing with the appointment really, he didn't fit our clubs playing style. or what we all like to think our playing style is.

I mean where to start...

His appointment in the first place? The Sevilla game was definitely the start of something. The farce of preseason and his constant moaning. His treatment of players throughout his tenure. His inability to sign a good CB because he identified Bailly and Lindelof and that's not worked out so far.

Gary Neville said last night he thought when we appointed Jose that it was a nailed on certain thing that we'd compete and win the league. That it was the right choice. I couldn't disagree more. Jose doesn't ever bring stability in the medium term. He ends up breaking down dressing rooms and making a club poisonous. He was never the right choice for this club because of the traditions we hold so dearly in attacking football and giving youth a chance. He doesn't and has never done either of those things.

I think it all came down to that new contract. He was given it 6 months to early and having given it to him not backing him in the summer was a shocker by the board that contract should have been sorted out this summer at the end of the season where you could take a proper assessment of 2 full seasons in charge. He used PSG as a bargaining chip I don't think they were ever interested in him and if he was prepared to jump ship like that then F him let him go as he's clearly not in it for the long term.

The Sanchez signing created big problems as well both on the pitch and off it because of the pitch we didn't have a plan to fit him in the team which I think unsettled a few things and off the pitch I think players weren't happy with the money he was getting especially as he wasn't performing on it.

In terms of this season I think the summer was where it went wrong he sucked all the positivity out of the club from day one we'd finished second and got to the cup final instead of being positive and saying we are looking to go one better etc he created a negative atmosphere that spread like cancer through the club. He had genuine gripes which I support but they should have been happening behind closed doors not out in public when you are Utd manager you have to give off a positive outlook even if you know it's nonsense instead he came up with 101 excuses as to why this season was going to be tough.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back