What needs to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kinds of budget will get you 3 top players max, but we need 5. Also we need to convince them to come without CL football. I feel that everything will be done late in the summer, after your targets are sure they can't get a CL teams first. It's sad, but we no longer are first choice.
Hopefully with sales it will be nearer 200m which would get us four players. A couple of decent free transfers if there are any out there, and maybe a couple moving up from U23s or academy and who knows. We will need to do this over a couple of seasons and things will need to fall into place. It is the hope that does for you.

Can’t see much coming in from sales to be honest expect a few players to go out on loan rather than be sold as other clubs won’t want to take on their salaries. You’d hope we can sell players like Dalot, Telles, Bailly & Henderson you might be able to get 60m in for those 4. It’ll be tough to sell players like AWB & Martial unless they take pay cuts as the sort of clubs who might be interested in them wont pay anything like the salary they get at Utd.

The lads leaving on free transfers will free up a lot of space on the wage bill.

I do think we will see a few academy lads step up into the first team squad and compete for places and hopefully the club find the money to get in 4 or 5 new players.

For me a RB, 2 CMs and a RF are essential these are the weakest parts of the team at the moment and it’s vital we invest money into those positions.

It looks to me CB is a crisis area, of course midfield, and if we hang on to Ronaldo then 1cf

To be honest, the whole starting 11 is a shambles, but we need to stop conceding before thinking about scoring

Can’t see much coming in from sales to be honest expect a few players to go out on loan rather than be sold as other clubs won’t want to take on their salaries. You’d hope we can sell players like Dalot, Telles, Bailly & Henderson you might be able to get 60m in for those 4. It’ll be tough to sell players like AWB & Martial unless they take pay cuts as the sort of clubs who might be interested in them wont pay anything like the salary they get at Utd.

The lads leaving on free transfers will free up a lot of space on the wage bill.

I do think we will see a few academy lads step up into the first team squad and compete for places and hopefully the club find the money to get in 4 or 5 new players.

For me a RB, 2 CMs and a RF are essential these are the weakest parts of the team at the moment and it’s vital we invest money into those positions.
I agree about the priority, it's vital we get a RB, a CDM, a CM and a RW. Anything else is a bonus and needs to be done after we secure the critical position first. My take is Timber, Frimpong or Spence for the RB, Tchouameni, Kamara, Bissouma, Laimer or De Jong for the CDM, Gravenberch, De Jong, Laimer, Neves or Tielmans for the CM, and Dembele, Antony or Raphinia for the RW. In this list, only Tchouameni, De Jong and Dembele will be very difficult to get, but the over is doable if we act quickly.

It looks to me CB is a crisis area, of course midfield, and if we hang on to Ronaldo then 1cf

To be honest, the whole starting 11 is a shambles, but we need to stop conceding before thinking about scoring

I think our centre backs are fine they are just horrendously exposed by those around them.

They do make individual errors which they need to cut out but hopefully strengthening other areas of the team will help them as currently teams play through us way to easily.

We will need to add some goals to this team think I read Greenwood is our 3rd top scorer this season. Sancho and Rashford are going to contribute a hell of a lot more next season

I think our centre backs are fine they are just horrendously exposed by those around them.

They do make individual errors which they need to cut out but hopefully strengthening other areas of the team will help them as currently teams play through us way to easily.

We will need to add some goals to this team think I read Greenwood is our 3rd top scorer this season. Sancho and Rashford are going to contribute a hell of a lot more next season
No there are not fine at all, most of them are average. Only Varane when fit is capable of playing a high line, the over except Bailly, doesn't have any pace in them and none of your CB is confortable with the ball at feet, they are not press resistant. But a CDM will make this lot look decent at best. We need a RW to balance the attack and allow more space and 1 on 1 situation to Sancho on the left. At the moment, anyone know we only go left in attack, so they block this side and that is enought to stop us. You can forget Rashford, we should sell him this summer. The kids as lost his football.

Hi, I am a Manchester United fan currently doing their dissertation around social media and the football club. I would really appreciate some help into filling out my short survey which should not take any longer than 5 minutes of your time. Thank you!

No there are not fine at all, most of them are average. Only Varane when fit is capable of playing a high line, the over except Bailly, doesn't have any pace in them and none of your CB is confortable with the ball at feet, they are not press resistant. But a CDM will make this lot look decent at best. We need a RW to balance the attack and allow more space and 1 on 1 situation to Sancho on the left. At the moment, anyone know we only go left in attack, so they block this side and that is enought to stop us. You can forget Rashford, we should sell him this summer. The kids as lost his football.

We shall see next season what they can do with a proper midfield in front of them…. hopefully!

We will have to disagree about their ability on the ball as I think all 3 are good on the ball but we dont have a midfielder they can play into regularly. Their lack of speed on the turn could be a problem if we push up but if we are going to play a high line we will also need a new keeper. This may also be an issue when playing from the back as De Gea is not good on the ball.

Having an attacking threat down the right side from both a quality wide player but also an overlapping full back will be a massive boost. Shaw does it pretty well down the left side which is why I think we always go down the left but that has to change.

I think keep Rashford and hope that the new coach can bring him back to life next season really is make or break for him he needs to rediscover his love for the game. We are light up top with the departures I’d say there’s a chance Martial actually stays next season and plays the European and league cup matches.

Be interesting to see how many of the loan players are kept around next season. Laird, Williams, Mengi, Garner, Periera, Chong, Pellistri, Amad, VDB and Martial.

I think United fans need to forget about top 4 next year. They may be able to compete for top 4 but really Ten Hag has a huge job on his hands and needs to build for the medium term. Too many players are going to leave, not enough are going to be brought in and next year is going to be rocky.

I think United fans need to forget about top 4 next year. They may be able to compete for top 4 but really Ten Hag has a huge job on his hands and needs to build for the medium term. Too many players are going to leave, not enough are going to be brought in and next year is going to be rocky.

Why?

Arsenal aren’t that far ahead of us and at the start of this season no one thought they’d get near top 4 having cleared out loads of the squad. Made a couple of good signings and took big steps forward.

Chelsea need to buy a whole new defence this summer as well once the takeover goes through.

Spurs are just Spurs but if they back Conte with a few signings I think they’ll make top 4 next season as Conte is a top manager.

I think it’s a reasonable expectation for Ten Hag to get in the top 4 next season.

It isn’t the end of the world if we don’t get it but he’s going to be under big pressure to not only build a new side but also get results.

I'm not after top 4. Just some players who can be arsed would be good. Sad as that is

We shall see next season what they can do with a proper midfield in front of them…. hopefully!

We will have to disagree about their ability on the ball as I think all 3 are good on the ball but we dont have a midfielder they can play into regularly. Their lack of speed on the turn could be a problem if we push up but if we are going to play a high line we will also need a new keeper. This may also be an issue when playing from the back as De Gea is not good on the ball.

Having an attacking threat down the right side from both a quality wide player but also an overlapping full back will be a massive boost. Shaw does it pretty well down the left side which is why I think we always go down the left but that has to change.

I think keep Rashford and hope that the new coach can bring him back to life next season really is make or break for him he needs to rediscover his love for the game. We are light up top with the departures I’d say there’s a chance Martial actually stays next season and plays the European and league cup matches.

Be interesting to see how many of the loan players are kept around next season. Laird, Williams, Mengi, Garner, Periera, Chong, Pellistri, Amad, VDB and Martial.
Well, i confirm what i said about the CB. They are not press resistant at all. Every time you press them, they lose the ball or invite pressure to De Gea. The amount of time Maguire has been disposessed is criminal for a pro CB. Being good on the ball is not being able to make a diagonal pass to the wing when you have time and space, that is easy and expected of any PL CB. Being good on the ball is being able to beat the press and come out with the ball or find a pass that eliminate the press, and that is hard to do, but is the required standard for a top CB. If you compare them to VVD, Rudiger, Laporte, Upamecano, Timber, Gvardiol or Kounde they are few levels below. Where is the Ferdinand of the past ? I see nothing in them.

Like you said, i agree that we need a RW to balance the attack and create more 1 on 1 situation on the wings.

For the Loan players, i have great expectation for VDB, Amad, Garner and Laird. The other not so much. Even if i don't want him, i believe we will keep Martial as backup. He will sulk but we have no over option, because we already have many other position to fix this summer.

Don't loose hope so soon. I will judge the squad after the window. If we get in good players i may expect a top 4 challenge and if we don't i will expect just an improvement from the Ralf era. But that will be done after the window is close.

Because I don't think this United team are that much better than teams like West Ham and Wolves. Arsenal seem to be moving in the right direction and you say Spurs are Spurs but last few years they've not been any worse than United overall. United are set to lose a lot of players, Ten Hag won't be given the budget needed to do what he needs and so next year I think will be as bad for United. They'll be in a scrap for any position between 4 and 7/8.

I don't understand Rich. You were adament Ole was the issue. He finished inside the top 4 ever season he was manager and now he's gone you think we'll go backwards? Surely if Ole was the issue you think we'll be in a title fight next season?

On a more serious note United will have s great summer. Whenever we finish outside of the top 4 the Glazers make an effort because they see the champions league revenue slipping away. They're content to finish 4th every season but start to worry when we slip outside of it. I'd expect us to spend £200m plus this summer. Its going to be a complete overhaul but they realise they need to invest.

He certainly won't get full control. He may get a decent budget, maybe 100 - 150m plus sales. We may have to bulk up the squad with a couple of free signings and younger players
150-200 would have us definitely out of the European places, like we are finishing this season. We need 3 transformational players: 1 forward, 1 midfielder, 1 defender. And by transformational, I mean a player who comes into the team and the team is reborn. To get those 3, we're going to have sift through what, a dozen signings? Ole signed 14 players [including Pallistri and Heaton, 2 that weren't expected to play]. Sancho and Bruno are the only two I'd keep. Ronaldo is probably (?) leaving, or 1 more season. Varane has not been the player he was at Real Madrid. Maguire has not been the player he was at Leicester. Bruno resuscitated this team when he first arrived but he's been awful for most of this season. Maguire went from no-frills but solid, to a disaster.

So out of 14 signings, those 2 are worth keeping. Maybe 3 if Maguire is a backup and 4 if we give VDB another shot at redemption. Zero were transformational. Bruno was 7/10, Sancho a 6/10, Maguire a 5/10, VDB a 2/10.

400 million pounds and we netted 2 players who should be starters.

Which is a long way of saying 150-200 million would have us looking up West Ham / Wolves / Leicester/ BHA territory. That money would buy 3 good players who would all have to hit the ground running. Anything less than 3 stellar signings and we're fecked.

I agree with most of this, except the bolded part could be changed to: "any position in the team". Any good/really good player in any position would be an immediate upgrade. Like a 7/10 player would be an upgrade. The way they are playing, none of them are good enough.

150-200 would have us definitely out of the European places, like we are finishing this season. We need 3 transformational players: 1 forward, 1 midfielder, 1 defender. And by transformational, I mean a player who comes into the team and the team is reborn. To get those 3, we're going to have sift through what, a dozen signings? Ole signed 14 players [including Pallistri and Heaton, 2 that weren't expected to play]. Sancho and Bruno are the only two I'd keep. Ronaldo is probably (?) leaving, or 1 more season. Varane has not been the player he was at Real Madrid. Maguire has not been the player he was at Leicester. Bruno resuscitated this team when he first arrived but he's been awful for most of this season. Maguire went from no-frills but solid, to a disaster.

So out of 14 signings, those 2 are worth keeping. Maybe 3 if Maguire is a backup and 4 if we give VDB another shot at redemption. Zero were transformational. Bruno was 7/10, Sancho a 6/10, Maguire a 5/10, VDB a 2/10.

400 million pounds and we netted 2 players who should be starters.

Which is a long way of saying 150-200 million would have us looking up West Ham / Wolves / Leicester/ BHA territory. That money would buy 3 good players who would all have to hit the ground running. Anything less than 3 stellar signings and we're fecked.
We have to be realistic about what budget we are going to receive. In truth if anything I think I went a bit on the high side. It will need some savvy transfers and good coaching, something we haven't been renowned for recently. That said if we spend 200m I would be disappointed if we aren't challenging top 4. We are above the teams you mentioned and they will not spend that amount.

Because I don't think this United team are that much better than teams like West Ham and Wolves. Arsenal seem to be moving in the right direction and you say Spurs are Spurs but last few years they've not been any worse than United overall. United are set to lose a lot of players, Ten Hag won't be given the budget needed to do what he needs and so next year I think will be as bad for United. They'll be in a scrap for any position between 4 and 7/8.
Losing a lot of players is not a negative for me. Yes it may leave the squad a little light but this is a great opportunity to lose some bad apples and have a total squad reset.

We will potentially have a couple of the younger guys come back like Laird and Garner, who may well be part of the main squad next year. Maybe Pellistri and Diallo but for me loans away would be best for them again. Then a couple of really promising youngsters coming through from the youth teams.

Guess no-one knows what budget ETH will be given but I have no doubts he will be backed in his main objectives.

Well, i confirm what i said about the CB. They are not press resistant at all. Every time you press them, they lose the ball or invite pressure to De Gea. The amount of time Maguire has been disposessed is criminal for a pro CB. Being good on the ball is not being able to make a diagonal pass to the wing when you have time and space, that is easy and expected of any PL CB. Being good on the ball is being able to beat the press and come out with the ball or find a pass that eliminate the press, and that is hard to do, but is the required standard for a top CB. If you compare them to VVD, Rudiger, Laporte, Upamecano, Timber, Gvardiol or Kounde they are few levels below. Where is the Ferdinand of the past ? I see nothing in them.

Like you said, i agree that we need a RW to balance the attack and create more 1 on 1 situation on the wings.

For the Loan players, i have great expectation for VDB, Amad, Garner and Laird. The other not so much. Even if i don't want him, i believe we will keep Martial as backup. He will sulk but we have no over option, because we already have many other position to fix this summer.

Funny because if you check his stats Maguire this season has been dispossessed 5 times, Van Dijk 3, Laporte 7 and Rudiger 8. There's loads of examples of maguire dribbling the ball into the midfield to break pressing lines. I'd also probably say that those defenders at Liverpool, city or Chelsea are rarely pressed by the opponents who tend to drop off these teams the fact they make so many passes suggests to me this is the case as all of them have made around 1,000 more passes than our centre backs. All 3 of them have fantastic midfielders to play into as well guys who can take the ball under pressure and not lose it. The only centre mid at Utd who I think takes the ball well in his own half is Matic.

What I saw watching Maguire especially earlier in the season was often an attempt to play from the back starting with De Gea who plays to Maguire who then has no pass on because the left back or midfielders haven't moved. If he did play into these players they'd often just give it straight back putting him in trouble. Our build up from the back was awful as teams knew we'd always go left so they pressed that side. There's a reason both Carrick and Rangnick stopped playing from the back as much and it was because for me I don't think we had the players to do it. There are times where Maguire has been really poor as part of that and made mistakes the game at Leicester he was a disaster.

Hopefully a new coach will actually coach the players how to do it and we will see how these players cope with it because it does require movement and team work to beat the opponents press. The key to playing from the back is giving your defenders options they need to have a clear way out and that includes the ability to hit it long if the team does press and go over it. This is why teams can't press the Liverpool defence.

Losing a lot of players is not a negative for me. Yes it may leave the squad a little light but this is a great opportunity to lose some bad apples and have a total squad reset.
Losing a lot of these players long term is not a negative. But in the short term I think it'll bring about so much change that there will be issues and problems. There's going to be so much turnover with players, coaches, style and system that there's going to be growing pains.

If the new players fit in well I think we can get in the top 4 if they don't then year it'll be a tough season but this is what it's like for a lot of teams in the league at the moment.

We know barring any disasters that City/Liverpool will be the top 2 next season don't see anyone getting close to them again but for the rest of us it could be anything from 3rd to 6th.

Feels like something that is said every window but getting business done early is vital so you've got the players in for pre season but next season is going to be a bit weird because right in the middle there's a 6 week gap for the World Cup. So clubs that don't have a lot of players going to the world cup could really come strong in the second half of the season.

We can forget Tchouameni. French press saying he is only focused on playing CL football next season with Monaco or another team. With Monaco pricing him out at 70m€, i expect him to stay one more year before going to another club. At this moment, he will only have one year left in his contract and the price will go down.

Been reading today our scouts are looking for the best freebies available due to lack of funds. I can see a lot of players coming in if this is true. I assume TH has been promised a decent budget before agreeing to sign.

Barca want to sell De Jong

Bit late in the day to be hitting up the free transfer market most of the best talent has already committed to moved.

Finding a quality player on a free transfer would certainly help things given how many are leaving us for nothing.

I'd be surprised if we got De Jong think if he's on the market a team like City will jump in ahead of us to get him unless he really wants to work with the manager again. Barca seem willing to sell mainly because he's one of the few players they've got that they can get a decent transfer fee that isn't a kid.

I read Dybala has agreed a deal with Inter.

Romano linking us with Pau Torres again.

Well Dybala is a false 9, so i don't want this type of players at all. We will not get the big free transfer (Mbappe and Dembele), but i was expecting Kamara from Marseille (22yo CDM only second to Tchouameni in the French league), but there is rummor he is going to Athletico Madrid. Don't want Pau Torres, he is slow. If we want a CB i will go for Gvardiol, Timber or Kounde. De Jong will be a dream signing but like you said, City will be all over him if he is available. Not sure he chose ETH over CL football with a real chance to win.

Dybala was asking for crazy wages Utd need to stay clear of these lads for now.

Not sure what Pau Torres you're talking about the lad is very quick just don't see us laying out another 50-60m on a centre back this summer when there's so much work to be done elsewhere.

I think for now the new boss will have to work with what he's got at centre back he needs to spend the money in midfield and the right hand side of the team. If there's money left after sorting those problems well then he's got goalkeeper and centre forwards to think about.

Seeing £75m links with Ward-Prowse. I like him but at that price there is much better out there.

Would end the first man at corners worry though. Ronaldo would love him delivering the ball in.

French press saying Simeone want AWB for 25m€. Liverpool and Real want Tchouameni but they don't want to pay 70m€ for him. Tielmans to Arsenal if they get a CL spot and if not he will go to Real. Look like we will have to unearth gem that no other clubs want. The good players will want CL at all cost. How Liverpool managed this problem in the past ?

I mean if we're now in a world where Ward-Prowse is worth £75m we might as well just all give up as the game has well and truly gone. Decent player obviously a free kick specialist but you can't be paying that sort of money for a lad who's good at set pieces unless the rules are going to allow you to bring on "special teams" for every set piece.

It's going to be so scatter gun this summer with the links. The fact they're all over the place suggests to me that Utd haven't really got anything lined up which isn't a major surprise given the new manager hasn't started yet and reports are he has final say on players. Very quickly he's going to need to narrow down his options and agree with the rest of the recruitment team which players we are going to seriously go for and Utd will have to get those deals done quickly. This might mean they miss players they would of liked because they've already committed elsewhere and we are to late but this is what happens when you change managers.

The transfer window is tiresome at the best of times literally the worst part of the season and Utd clearly needing to do a lot of business means it's going to be dialled up to 11.

We assumed Rangnick, Murtough, Fletcher and the scouts are drawing up short lists for the positions where they feel the squad is weak but until Ten Hag goes through their plan with them we're kind of on pause.

I mean if we're now in a world where Ward-Prowse is worth £75m we might as well just all give up as the game has well and truly gone. Decent player obviously a free kick specialist but you can't be paying that sort of money for a lad who's good at set pieces unless the rules are going to allow you to bring on "special teams" for every set piece.
I think he'd be a good signing for the right price... But that price is nowhere near £75M.

I think he's the kind of player who instantly improves the United midfield. He could then over time, as they add more, become a very good squad player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back